+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: track bike

Default track bike

hi there.

i recently bought my second 851. with this bike i would like to do some track day's or maybe even some racing...
    it has an 888 engine with 916 cilinders, 50mm exhaust, P8 with chip written for this engine and ''hot'' cams. as i've been told by the guy who build the engine (years ago) they're ''corse'' cams but didn't check the numbers.

i also have a 996 st4(s?) engine lying aroud so if i don't like this 888/916 engine i'll swap it with the st engine.
    the bike came with a set of race fairings and i recently bought a fuel tank with dent from another forum member so all the original fairings etc. are safely stored in the garage.

now i would like to get some alu and carbon parts.
    an alu rear subframe and a carbon undertray/breather box to start with.
    there's a forum member who made those alu frames but he doesn't have the time for it now or in the near future.
    and for the carbon part, i know that oronero does a lot of carbon but there website is far from up to date and i've read some, well, story's about the delivery's taking a loooooooooong time...
    can anyone tell me where to get the parts? or maybe even has and want to sell them?

The bike in its current state and my Son helping to dismantle the original fairings.
    Attached Images

I'm no expert, but this guy is well known in the UK for making alloy subframes. £250 each for front or rear if I read the page correctly.

http://bbbfabrications.com/

I'm no expert either, but I got some muffler straps from the link above. Nicely made, but didn't fit because the hole pattern was completely wrong. Others I've checked with who bought them had the same problem. So proceed with caution, i.e. go and have a look at the parts in person before buying from "local bespoke manufacturer". He doesn't respond to emails when there is a problem with his products either!!

Good luck with your track build.
    Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post

Just hurry up and finish tearing her apart so you stop finding broken bits.
    SP3 #132
    1992 900 SS

Iíve not had much luck with BBB either. Judging by the look of Hagaís work, itís worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Iíve not had much luck with BBB either. Judging by the look of Hagaís work, itís worth waiting for.
    Agree with the above, wait for Haga.
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Bear in mind that the ST4S engine is not a straight swap, it fits but you need to either renew the loom or find some rather rare parts to make it come together, I know.
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The swap wasn't too bad for me--I kept most everything from the ST4S donor bike.

With the motor, externally I swapped to 996 heads instead of the drop cam ones. Internal upgrades were extensive. You can either sleeve the motor for original motor mounting bolts or drill the frame for the larger mounts, which is easy and the way I went.

Throttle bodies are standard ST4S but the single injectors were bored to flow enough fuel.

Wire harness is standard, with the removal of the ignition and immobilzer (I'm using a keyless MotoGadget RFID ignition). I did change the connectors to use smaller 996 handlebar switches since the ST ones are so bulky. Ideally, I'd like a nice custom loom to save weight and clutter, but there's nothing wrong with things as-is.

ECU is Microtec, but that's a direct swap for the original 5.9M. Plug and play.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 cafť.

update;

finally the bike is ''ready''!

well, a racing bike is never ready i think, but the beast is alive!
    i did a test run on a open road nearby my house and the thing blew my mind. this it with the 916 engine that was in the bike as a bought it.
    compared with my 851 strada this is whole other level. nothing really happens until you're reaching 7000rpm and then at 8500 the sound from the airbox gets really loud and it takes off.... in all gears.
    power wheelies in 2nd gear and it catapults me to top speed. it has standard sprockets....
    the suspension is serviced and feels very solid. nothing fancy, just st4s front and ohlins absorber in the back.
    front and rear alu subframe made by haga, race fairing (not carbon), marvic mag wheels. carbon heat shield on the exhaust.
    st4 radiator without fan, fancy rearsets, carbon dash and undertray. i'm using the standard oil catch tank.
    all the extra electric stuff taken off. lithium battery installed. rectifier mounted under the battery tray.
    water bottle in the battery tray.

LOTS of parts and info from this forum, thanks!

had a track day at assen with standard cans. (dont know which ducati they belong to). less power offcourse.
    first time at assen. i had to get used to the bike and track. after 2 sessions it just got better and better. happy happy joy joy!

now let me try to upload some pictures.........
    Last edited by roen; 05-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Hi,

Where did you find the footrest adapters ?

Eric

+ Reply to Thread