+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is any press good press?

Default Is any press good press?

Well it's full of errors as I didn't get to proof read it but here you go from a few weeks back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr4bb48wyq...0TT-1.pdf?dl=0

A small piece from Practical Sportsbike mag, so unlucky hey ho.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4fnnplof6..._6274.JPG?dl=0
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Bad luck Stafford............that plastic is brittle when new and just gets more brittle with age. An Aluminium strip glued/pop riveted on the outside in the impact zone would add a few grams but stop it happening again. Not pretty but effective. Even Carbon fibre would not have stopped it ,judging by the damage. Small stone , 300 Km /hour ..............that is some energy.

Better luck next year.............I hope to be there.

As I posted before "Gutted for you mate".
    If you make the belt cover bullet proof, a stray stone could have easily taken out the radiator or oil cooler. "Shit Happens" when you're racing and the Island is the most unforgiving race track in the World...
    I take my hat off to you and Liz.
    It was talked about for some time about putting a big bore 888 out in this race, to give the XR69's with (Cheating IMO) 1200+cc Bandit motors a run for their money but...
    You both took up the challenge and put your money where other peoples mouths were.
    Good Effort to you and all of your team!
    When James passed Issy and I at Cronk-Ne-Mono he was already on Rutter's tail who had started a fair way in front of him, with the rate of attrition that happened in the race if he'd have kept going at that pace a respectable finish was on the cards IMO.
    So you'll just have to console yourselves with the fastest ever 888 based bikes lap of the most punishing race track in the World!

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    So you'll just have to console yourselves with the fastest ever 888 based bikes lap of the most punishing race track in the World!

Steve R
    Not quite there yet but a recent discussion on Facebook has complained about me calling the bikes 888's and Mr Hillier of hoping to claim to be the fastest 888 on the isle as this flies in the face of the bikes from history as they were true 888/926/955 Ducatis not 996.

Motorsport is a cruel mistress! Thanks very much for the update.

I'm surprised actually, I remember being gobsmacked at how thick (and heavy!) the OEM covers are, and thought to myself at least they will be bullet proof.....wrong!

Hmmm, might have to look a bit harder for a set of carbon replacements. Unfortunately the 748-996 carbon covers seem to be twice the price of all the other models, but I'm thinking they will be twice as strong too: the carbon might delaminate with an impact such as this but I doubt anything would actually get through the woven fibres.

As for the 888 vs 996 controversy, I can't help but think the dispute over your 888 fastest lap is splitting hairs: a Factory bike back in the day weighed 10's of kg's less and made more power, so you've done amazingly well.

Great effort, the bike is a stunner.

Stafford,

Your 851/based race bikes all produced less or similar power to a original Corse 888/926.
    So I personally can't see the argument that the wingers are putting forward, yes it would have been better if the capacity had only been 926/955cc's, but it was a 851/888 with a Ducati motor that fitted inside of the rules.
    Personally I'd just flick the V to the wingers if I were you mate.
    Having said that...
    I'm 100% certain that my 955cc motor will kick out more power/torque than your 996 at similar revs using softer 9*6 SPS cams.
    I was more than a little surprised that your best motor was "only" making 135 rwbhp and 80ft lbs of torque with flowed heads and 748R cams???

Steve R

Every dyno is different, so numbers don't mean as much as they should. And any 955 putting out more than a full monty 996 is unlikely to survive more than 2 race weekends.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

man, that stone is just crap luck. never ever seen anything like that before.

bummer overall. was nice to meet you though.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

We actually made a little more than 135rwbhp in the end, he he.

+ Reply to Thread