+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ducati 888sp5

Re the seller here’s a copy of a post on the Ducatiforum.

I bought my Desmo from him. He was very honest and straightforward and I paid a fair price for it (it has 51km on the clock). I sold a couple of bikes through him. Basically, I sold them on commission, he got a great price, way more than I would have got for them at any other dealer and he took £2k commission on each bike. They were sold almost instantly. If a bike says “reserved” it’s reserved. He has buyers worldwide. He might be expensive but if you sell the bike back to him, he’ll give you almost what you paid for it and sometimes more if you sell it on commission. He used to have a salesman working there who was awful. Now he does it himself, he’s a pleasure to deal with.

you are crazy! ducati 888 sp5 is a fine series, the model is worth less. ducati thought of 916 and is a collection of stock funds.
    the best is the sp2 that won the first ducati world champion, then the same level sp3 and sp4.
    I do not say it, the story tells it, the books say it, the collections say it
    if someone pays more than 10.000 euro for a sp5 it has money to throw ...
    stop
    Ducati 851 sp2 1990 - Honda 750 four k2 1972 - Bmw k100 1986

Interesting opinion!! Most of sp5 start from 15k euro.

pretty extremist opinion ... if the book tells it so .....

I think it only depends where you see your interest ; number of units built , power of the bike , world title or not , secondary market prices ..... many Sp3 owners will find theirs very desirable and the best ever built

Quote Originally Posted by fabSP4 View Post
    many Sp3 owners will find theirs very desirable and the best ever built
    but if the engine, chassis and suspension are the same for sp2 / 3/4 as they say the sp3 is the best? simple, they do not understand motorcycles ...
    sp4 also loses the ohlins to the front...

I'm sorry chap but....
    The SP4 still had Ohlin's front forks like the earlier SP's, possibly your typing era?
    However I'm with you on which of the SP's is the best???
    As all of the SP's had the same motor until the SPS (aka the SP4S) and the SP5's.
    So the quickest of the 851/888's would be the SPS/SP(4)S or the SP5's.

Steve R

That's true, but the motor doesn't make the whole bike. It's also a lot of wank-factor, I mean who honestly, and regualrly, uses the full performance of any 851 / 888 SP? Pretty much no one, because I doubt anyone here is that good of a rider to be able to ( if you were you would be racing properly, not internet racing on here ), and secondly the public roads are not suitable venues to do it. So as they say, "pace with grace", and the common vote for that seems to be SP2, 3, or 4.

But really at the end of the day, who really cares? Any SP is a bloody nice bike, and a very desireable piece of machinery.
    Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post

Just hurry up and finish tearing her apart so you stop finding broken bits.
    SP3 #132
    1992 900 SS

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
    but if the engine, chassis and suspension are the same for sp2 / 3/4 as they say the sp3 is the best? simple, they do not understand motorcycles ...
    I understand my SP3 perfectly thanks, to me it is the perfect incarnation of the 851/88 it has the quirk of still being badged as an 851, retains the original lines of the beautiful seat unit and to me is the most beautiful looking & sounding thing to leave the Ducati factory..(there is a video somewhere of a collector who owns pretty much every SP & race ducati who says the same) I love them all but I am fortunate enough to own my favorite... and yes the SP4 has Ohlins, it is the SP5 that is the parts bin special mate
    Last edited by JImmySL; 11-15-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    "The bike I would like to have in my personal museum is a Ducati 888, the last one before the 916. This is the best Ducati, the 916 is elegant but the 888 is the best.” Massimo Bordi

Quote Originally Posted by Jafa View Post
    That's true, but the motor doesn't make the whole bike. It's also a lot of wank-factor, I mean who honestly, and regualrly, uses the full performance of any 851 / 888 SP? Pretty much no one, because I doubt anyone here is that good of a rider to be able to ( if you were you would be racing properly, not internet racing on here ), and secondly the public roads are not suitable venues to do it.
    Ah! That where i’ve been going wrong. I thought public roads were for testing race machines for the track. Also explains the picture taking and shouting with arms waving around. Not actually bike fans then. Bet I looked stupid giving the cool wave at near light speeds.
    39 days until I get my full licence back again. Been a long 12 mths.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jafa View Post

But really at the end of the day, who really cares? Any SP is a bloody nice bike, and a very desireable piece of machinery.
    ooooh yess!
    i think exactly as you ... my description was only inherent to the differences between the SP2 / 3/4 that are practically the same!
    I repeat, I prefer sp2 because it was the first to win a world sbk and therefore started the winning ducati story, but I love all those SP (only 851/888)!!!
    Last edited by lakeman; 11-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread