+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: James Hillier to race an 888 in the IOM

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Rutter's Ducati, running 3rd in Lightweight, sounds incredible among all the two strokes - just left the pits. Making time on 2nd.
    Got busted for an oversize tank, a real pisser for the Redfox lads but those are the rules.
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by stafford View Post
    Good morning all, a stone/debris hit the front belt cover made a small hole and the resulting "bits" conspired to put a nick in the belt and jump the front exhaust cam one tooth out, piston meets valve.

Tough break.

Makes you scratch your head over people running no belt covers at all.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

Quote Originally Posted by nine16 View Post
    Tough break.

Makes you scratch your head over people running no belt covers at all.
    I ran the covers hoping indeed expecting them to protect the known debris on a road circuit. Maybe open is the way to go and like Jasper run another piece of mesh in that area near the front.

My 851/916cc bike has a QB Carbon Corse fairing with a QB V piece fitted and Corse radiator.
    On this bike there's no room for anything kicked up from the road to hit the belt cover.

Gutted for you Stafford,
    Little Issy and I watched your bike come through well up on the bikes in front, but then wondered why we didn't see it again...
    The other 888 didn't fair too well either?

Steve R

P.S. I'm just in my workshop fitting the lightweight discs I bought from PFM, before I do I'll weigh them to see exactly how much weight they've saved.

P.P.S. Minus 614 grams off the front wheel...Compared against genuine Brembo full floaters....RESULT!
    Last edited by Mr.R; 09-06-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added info...

Looks like the only Ducati that finished the Superbike Classic was Michael Rutter / Red Fox Grinta Racing in 13th.
    https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/...20Official.pdf

That's correct, Alf's Motorcycles brought two a race and T bike. The race bike developed a fault in practice and the T bike failed in the race, don't know why.

Not the outcome you were after but well done none the less, I bet it was still a buzz to be there.

Will you be doing a write-up for the blog?

Mate, spewing. Very munchie. The 250 dropped a valve last year 2nd lap. I guess all you can say is "That's racing". Then get into the shed and get it sorted. Next year pops up pretty quickly. And if your a bit down, Ted Fenwick. Ledgend like, relentlessly in pursuit of bringing down his lap times.

Sheet titanium welded covers or partial covers is all I can think of. Localised force field shield haven't been invented yet. So they're out. If mesh fouls the belt after a high speed gibber strike, you'll have the same result. No covers worries me also. I wonder if you loose a rear, how much damage would the tank take from the offending rubber band doing 5500 rpm when it left home.

Steve- kilo's melting away on the bevel as Ti, 7075 and 6061 and a lathe find new nooks and crannies to fill. I charge mates by bolts at the moment.
    Last edited by griff851; 09-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

I will up date the blog, so many little things to mention. I will say here huge thanks to Phil Biggs who is Jameses' race mechanic, lots of help and taught me a few things as well.
    As for James, as cool as you like and jolly nice chap to boot and so talented.
    It was an absolute privilege to work with both

Mate, spewing. Very munchie. The 250 dropped a valve last year 2nd lap. I guess all you can say is "That's racing". Then get into the shed and get it sorted. Next year pops up pretty quickly. And if your a bit down, Ted Fenwick. Ledgend like, relentlessly in pursuit of bringing down his lap times.

Sheet titanium welded covers or partial covers is all I can think of. Localised force field shield haven't been invented yet. So there out. If mesh fouls the belt after a high speed gibber strike, you'll have the same result. No covers worry me also. I wonder if you loose a rear, how much damage would the tank take from the offending rubber band doing 5500 rpm when it left home.

Steve- kilo's melting away on the bevel as Ti, 7075 and 6061 and a lathe find new nooks and crannies to fill. I charge mates by bolts at the moment.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread