+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OXFORD Products bike ...

Default OXFORD Products bike ...

This bike located in UK is still an enigma for me.
    Can you tell me more about it ???

Who was Graeme Richie ???

Phil911 ... curious !!!

Hi Phil

The bikes were ridden by Robert Dunlop and Jeremy McWilliams (both from over here in N.Ireland) in the British Supercup in the 1993 season (I think) and various other races – NW 200 etc. I think the bikes may have also raced in the TT but I don't know who the rider(s) was.

I think that one of the bikes is now owned by Steve, one of the guys that runs Motorapido – a Ducati dealership in Southampton. I bought my 851 from him (not the dealership – he has a bit of a collection of 851/888 including an orginal Tricolore racing and the rolling chassis from a Fallapa bike!).

Why the interest?

Jonathan
    Last edited by jr60; 11-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Trevor Nation raced the bike at the 92TT, finishing 8th!

Mark Farmer led the 93 Formula One TT at the end of the opening lap with what was to be the fastest lap of the race - 120.58mph.

He was three seconds ahead of Nick Jefferies with Phillip McCallen, who had been fastest in practice despite the shoulder injury he sustained at the North West 200, in third.

However, Farmer struck trouble on the second lap and came into the pits in fourth place with rear sprocket problems and retired.
    Last edited by desmo57; 11-21-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    La guerra continua!

Here's some information about Graham Ritchie

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...threadid=93614

Hi Phil,
    I met Graeme a few times back in the early 80's, he was at the time racing a Pantah based racer and running his own Ducati servicing/tuning/breaking business GR Ducati I still have some of his price lists etc from those days.
    At the time I was employed as a race engine builder/race mechanic and did a few deals with him over Ducati race spares.
    He was a very softly spoken Scotsman and an all round nice guy!
    When he sadly died at Brands riding a 888 (I think it was a Corse speced SP model) his wife carried on running his buisness for a while.

I also worked as a race mechanic/pit crew for Trevor Nation at the Bol D'or in 1980, Trev' was riding a P+M Honda that year teamed alongside my friend Keith who was at that time the fastest/best placed non works rider at the IOM TT.
    The team was sponsored by 'The Police' pop/rock group with Sting as the lead singer.
    I still have my Mechaniciens Photo ID and the sponsors 'T' shirt that I wore that weekend, we finished 1st F1 spec bike home and Best Newcomers even after we changed the gearbox cluster during the early morning!
    We also won the private bet between the British riders/teams.
    Keith (who also owned the bike) let me ride it in the final practice session, I remember being passed by Greg Hansford on the works Kawasaki towards the end of the Mistral straight, my bike was pulling 168mph at peak revs in top gear and Hansford's Kwaka went by with what seemed at least another 20-25mph!
    I think the works Kawasaki's ran close to 1200cc that year?
    I did 6 laps which had been agreed as part of the payment for my services for the weekend, it wasn't really allowed but with leathers of the same colour and a similar crash helmet, who was to know??

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 11-21-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedge hog View Post
    Here's some information about Graham Ritchie

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...threadid=93614
    Jesus..., I knew it was because of a fatal crash they changed the technical rules of the 1-2 brake hoses, but it feels very strange after all those years to see the face of the person involved.
    RIP Graham.
    La guerra continua!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    I did 6 laps which had been agreed as part of the payment for my services for the weekend, it wasn't really allowed but with leathers of the same colour and a similar crash helmet, who was to know??
    Steve R
    ---> Excellent !!!!!!!!!
    But, did you fully enjoy because of the joke or were you scared to make a mistake on the bike ??

Phil911

Very moving thread ... what a misfortune. Makes me want to check my trackbikes to see if the hoses are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil911 View Post
    ---> Excellent !!!!!!!!!
    But, did you fully enjoy because of the joke or were you scared to make a mistake on the bike ??

Phil911
    Hi Phil,
    I really enjoyed the 'Canter' on the P+M Honda it was a fantastic bike to ride.
    I only rode at 80% on the corners as it would have been more than my life was worth to bin it so close to the start of the race, Keith who owned the bike had seen me race a few times and knew I'd take good care of it.

Steve R

Well that's an amazing link up there, and what a tale as well. I know on a road bike there is little chance of us losing the front mudguard, but I'm surprised that Ducati still fit hoses this way even on their very latest bikes. Although there are many books on Ducati racing history, they are all big names and don't really catch the essence of all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes and with privateers.
    I've changed the hoses on my Monster to be two single lines and it certainly does feel better than OE, which I know should not any difference at all but it seems to to me.

+ Reply to Thread