FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this bike

bloody ell thats nice

Quote Originally Posted by crowster69 View Post
    bloody ell thats nice
    Cheers Mate
    Lots of TLC gone into it!!

Lovely front end on your 888!

Wilks with your skills putting together great looking race bikes, you can definitely build something for less than half of a corse. If money is not a concern, there is no doubt that a corse would be beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxsam View Post
    Lovely front end on your 888!

Wilks with your skills putting together great looking race bikes, you can definitely build something for less than half of a corse. If money is not a concern, there is no doubt that a corse would be beautiful.
    Full agree-- these days it comes down to what you can afford, what you wish to do with the bike once you are finished tracking it, and where your passion leads you. I have built two Corse replicas because I plainly love building bikes and the challenge of building a Corse replica is just plain fun.

Just because I suggested to Wilks that he should buy the Corse (if he could afford) as a base for his track bike (knowing he would have to spend much more building a bullet proof motor starting with an ST4 case) does not mean I felt that is the only way to go. Only reason I am lucky to own my Corse's -which I have had the joy of refurbishing back to stock and tracking- is because I started buying them (and their parts) as wrecks at a time when no-one else was interested/wanted them. When I started buying parts back in 1997--- They were old race bikes being parted out. You heard about them word-of mouth. It was very hard to find parts because there was no internet and no repro carbon. I would save my money and make pilgrimages to Ferracci and dicker for parts. After a few years Mr. Ferracci would let me go through his back room and search for parts. He would spend hours telling me about how he developed the early bikes- he seemed a bit surprised I was so passionate about these bikes. Told me I was crazy-- even then- for him it was all about the bikes his team was currently racing. They were tools that became obsolete.

Most new Ducati lovers were blown away by the 916's and could not conceive of spending money on an 851/888 race bike. I would bring my first bitsa Corse to the track and it was completely ignored-- for many many years. AND-because I painted my first track Corse black with a white frame -guys would ask how I was able to make a 900SS run so quick. They had no idea what it was. Many would comment on the carbon dash and ask how I molded it.

The reason I started the Corse section in this forum years back is so there would be a place to gather Corse info in one place. Now if you wish to build a replica or restore a Corse you can search the forum and find what you need-- or have a place to ask your questions.

Passionate forum members such as BABA, Phill, Scott, Guy and many others have contributed to the Corse section over the years to assure accurate descriptions, pictures, and discussions are there for all who care.

I look forward to see many more pictures of member's replica's on and off the track.

That is a cool story - digging through Ferraci's shop. You were ahead of your time as they were definitely out of fashion after the 916 came in. I always loved the 888's but didn't have the money at the time to get anything more than my 93 Strada. I had to sell it in 99 to pay for my wedding!

15 years later and I finally found a couple of nice SP's but I'd swap them both for a Corse. I don't think they came to Oz. I've never seen one here, and even the Ducati Dealer team at the time used SP's with Corse parts from memory.

BUILD IT !!!!

As Mark T pointed out.........building a Corse replica to your spec is just plain FUN !!!!

I,m building an 851 Corse rep based on an SP3.............as I cannot imagine every taking out my real one.

Its like owning and using a Ferrari...........you can,t relax driving it as you always have one ear open for those noises that might spell another mortgage. Paranoid about parking it everywhere , abuse on the roads/track from jealous drivers blaa blaa blaa. Spoils the enjoyment..........unless you are so rich and just plainly don,t care.

No man I'm not rich I just want to go racing .

Mark - what about this one, any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...ati+888&_sop=3

There's one at the National Racing Museum at Bathurst, according to the website bought direct from Bologna for 75000 Aud in 1993 ( about the current day value ) according to the website, 2 in Perth, I seem to remember something like a Corse being advertised in late 2014 ....Reds Ducati ???? Not sure of its origins though.

I tried to buy this bike in 2013 when I first got interested in them I guess it's a itch I keep scratching it's in the attic of the late John Surtees apparently . This is the email I recieved about it but the sale never happened not from lack of trying mind you . I would imagine it's still there
    Frame number: ZDM 8885 000798

Engine number: ZDM 888W4 000832

<<...>> Raymond Roche, A Frenchman, won the World Super Bike series in 1990 for the Ducati team. The following year Ducati made a limited edition of Raymond Roche Replicas, possibly 20 or 50(not sure of this at the moment) these bikes are sometimes known as RRR 851 or 888 Corsa’s. This bike Frame number ZDM 8885 000798 Engine number ZDM 888W4 000832 was originally supplied by Ducati to Rumi until the present owner purchased it some years ago. I am not sure if it was the Rumi Race team or the guy Rumi since at that time team Rumi raced Honda RC30 and RC45 in the WSB series. The Ducati Team went on to win the 1991 and 1992 series with Doug Polen riding a similar machine. The Bike as not been run other then bench testing at Ducati prior to dispatch.

+ Reply to Thread