+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this bike

Quote Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
    ...I would rather see a race bike raced...
    I like that thinking.

Wilkson

I have tracked most of my Corse's along with a salvaged Desmo- so I completely understand many owner's fear of causing damage to a rare bike by tossing it down the track.

Over the last 20 plus years of buying and restoring Corse's I could not help but put them on the track no matter how hours/money/effort I put into each one--- the track is where they are the most fun and it is where they belong. Of course Corse's and Corse parts are way way more money then they were when I first got into them- lucky for me because my mid level government job did not put me into a high tax bracket. So crashing one was always a big financial hit.

And yes-I have had a few low sides over the years but I was able to put my Corse's back to original with the parts I have collected. The OEM Corse parts are now almost impossible to find. But- a big BUT----- with Peter O and a few others reproducing many of the carbon parts which break on a low side I would say if you can buy a factory Corse-- track it and enjoy it.- parts can be replaced A Corse is nice sitting in your garage- but way more enjoyable when on the track.

As rider of mid level talent- I hardly can tell the difference between riding a good mid level replica. Great replicas with motors built and tuned by someone like Chris B I am sure can jump all over a stock Corse. So I am not saying that the real deal is the only way to go if you love these 851/888 race bikes-- Both are fun on the track and are a joy to build or restore.

But because Corse's are my passion- it gives me a hard-to-define joy tracking my Corse's which have a race history/provenance-.

Thanks Mark .
    I agree with everything you said . I have a 75 750 SS I'm taking to the track in a couple of weeks it's a rare and expensive bike these days but I still like getting it out on the track . My Alchemy is a little the same but still it's still fun to have it out on a race track .
    I have spoken in depth to Pablo in fact he leaves today to spend some time in Italy and visit Reno Leoni . He still believes he can source some parts I need and going either way will not be impossible .

a corsa is probably a good way to get all the parts needed, but i can't see any reason why a replica would be in any way a lesser race bike. at least then you can fit cases that won't crack.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Thanks Brad for the advice . I am starting think I could build a decent bike for a reasonable price .
    Thanks everyone for the help 👍🏻

Nothing wrong with a Strada as a start.

celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I agree with Brad and Stafford.
    Whilst it's very nice if you can afford it to buy and race a genuine/PUKKA Corse 888...
    For most of us the cost of buying and then possibly writing it off in a crash is more than prohibitive.
    It's possible to build a very competitive 888 for a lot less money and if it were to be totalled it won't have lost an irreplaceable bike.
    It's also possible to build a more reliable and more powerful race bike using later parts/knowledge and technology.
    ..and along with Brad, Stafford etc I feel that it wouldn't be less of a race 888.
    The ex Corse bike for sale has history and is the real deal, but it makes it's 135 rwbhp @ around 12,500 rpm.
    This is crank case cracking territory, not very good for the pocket in anyone's book.
    The crank cases are now all but completely irreplaceable.
    But a later built motor using ST4 or ST4S cases can make superior power and torque at under 9,500 rpm.
    ST4 and ST4S cases incorporated all of the lessons learnt from the 888/926cc race programme, they're pretty much bullet proof.

You pays your money and makes your choice...
    I've personally gone for a 955cc motor built into NOS ST4 cases, if it doesn't make at least as much power as the ex Corse motor but at under 9,500 rpm I'll be just a little disappointed.

Steve R

I,d say build your own and go for the best of both worlds. Classic looks and a new engine/wiring/instruments............. Reliability and power. There is plenty of fibreglass/carbon bodywork around , new forks/engine combo,s , wheels , brakes. Surf around and it will not be anywhere the cost of a racer and there are not too many around so something a little different. If you crash it , it will not cost an arm and a leg to repair. It will put a smile of your face and make others take notice.

Attached is an 851 S3 with an 1198 engine...........seems to work just fine.

Dyno sheet shows there is enough power/torque.

Maybe I will just put 888 bodywork on the 1299 race bike
    I think I will build a bike .
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
    Maybe I will just put 888 bodywork on the 1299 race bike
    I think I will build a bike .
    Hi Mate
    Just sent you a pm
    Photos didn't attached so here it is.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread