+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this bike

Default Thoughts on this bike

Hi All . I'm wanting to start racing a 888 in classic racing class . I'm currently racing a 1299 Panigale but feel the Classic racing is where I would like to be .
    I'm not quite sure where to start I would prefer to find a ex race 888 . I have spotted this bike to me it look fantastic but I don't know enough about them . Any thoughts would be appreciated .
    http://www.ebay.at/itm/Ducati-888-Ra...kAAOSwNuxXZZQE

Looks very nice/clean with most of the correct bits. I had the 6 piston ISR's on my first track bike over 20 years ago-- went to stock Corse GP-4's because they were way too touchy at low speeds. Will require a start cart.

I have six Corse's-- they are a hoot on the track- if you buy one with G cams you will be picking up the front very easy and spinning the rear out of turns. If it comes with 421 intakes it will feel a bit slower but you will may be quicker because of very gently front end rising and very little spinning of the rear out of turns. Fun with less drama-- but if you like drama the G cams are nuts fun.

Thanks Mark . I'm not too sure wether to start with a standard bike and build a race bike or buy a ex race bike .
    I'm going to have a chat with the mechanic who works on the 1299 his name is Pablo Real he raced the 851 /888 series in the US it will be a project I'm sure he will enjoy .
    Lot's of my racing friends are now racing classics the meetings seem to be not as intense as racing modern bikes .
    I bought a VEE TWO Alchemy with the intent of racing it I have been out on the track with it and it is enjoyable but a little underpowered .

I just had a talk to Pablo about what I was thinking he thinks a ex Corse bike is the way to go so my idea of a standard 888 as a start is most likely not the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
    I just had a talk to Pablo about what I was thinking he thinks a ex Corse bike is the way to go so my idea of a standard 888 as a start is most likely not the best idea.
    Everyone knew Pablo back in the day My first track bike -which I still own- has a frame from one of Pablo bikes.

I think if you can buy a Corse- buy it and track it. A few guys have pulled the original motor so as not to crack an original case and build up a motor to max allowable using and ST4 case. More money but even the last version of the Corse case without the kickstart bung on the right side are now very rare and very expensive so it is pays to keep the original on the shelve for that day when your Corse is static in your collection.

WOW nice bikes Mark .
    Yes Pablo has been a great help to me . He suggested using a 996 engine and removing the original as well .
    He has some great racing stories from racing at Daytona and riding the TT bikes and the 851 /888 series bikes and the development to make them fast .

Default 888R w ST4S based engine

Build one ! Given you like the process of endless back and forth, part chasing... a labour of love and test of your patience ...
    Making it 100% original is close to impossible given the rareness of the special race parts these days, but if you can live with substitutes of Strada bits and later 916/996, after market parts... a nice and effective race can be made i would argue.

Here my 888R frame up bitsa racer

888R 93' org frame (a modified strada frame will do the exact same job)
    FG43 front end, Mag front : 17x3.5 and rear 17x6 w Swinger mod. to fit w the 25 mm axel.
    Engine : ST4s w P08 box and race harness, Pending surgery : SPS_T1 Heads, Crank and rods.. (see nine16 bike under projects, it spits out very nice and reliable numbers)
    Rest, few CF and ALU bits to cover and tie it all together...
    Attached Images

Looks like really nice build . Thanks for the info .
    I like the idea of a custom build and looks like a fun project .

Hi Wilks......welcome back to the dark side and the home of 888's.

That's a pretty smick Corse for Classic Racing. There was a couple of 888's racing at Eastern Creek over the weekend that hold their own with good riders on them. They are definitely bitza's though as with all forms of racing, they still go down sometimes.

That Corse would be hard to ride at 110% being such a rare bike. Most of the period 6 bikes are fairly rough up close as your continually pulling them apart. Even SA's most expensive mechanic JB was up do his elbows in grease keeping Stavros Parish old Suzuki moving along on Sunday. it looked good from a distance but not like the Corse.

Only you can decide whether you could track a $65k piece of history and watch it become half that after one season. It's why most of the period 6 bikes are rough. I did see a nice RC30 but looking at the pop rivets holding the temp fuel tank lid broke my heart.

I can't bring myself to take the SP4 and 5 out on simple track days now with the value of them climbing so much.

If you go ahead with the Corse let me know, would love to see it in person.

PS - the Paul Smart you brought over for me from SA is still going strong. A nice Sunday ride bike.

Thanks . I don't riding rough bikes and tracking my Desmosedici was not a issue I have had my fair share of crashes so I know what to expect I would rather see a race bike raced .
    My interest has been pricked by spending too much time with a mate racing two beautifully presented RC30 s things seem to be going well .
    Classic racing seems to not be 110% maybe 90% which interest me as well . I'm concerned about damaging a piece of history ( myself ) . I think building a bike may be the way to go speaking to Pablo he still can get access to a frame his off to Itsly today so will find out .

Good to hear from you .

+ Reply to Thread