+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie..but not to Ducati's

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    but when I tried to join here about 6 years ago I received an email from an admin saying that I wasn't the kind of member that the site needs! maybe they didn't like me on Ducatisti or maybe its because I live in the former Warsaw pact area....who knows!

Don't know who that was but it sure as hell wasn't me!!

Marvin
    Not worried about it now... I was sour for a while and vowed that if you lot were to be so 'snobby' then .. 'expletive' ya's all... but I have since mellowed with age!!

I seem to recall back then you had to give details of your bike when registering and I didn't have an 851 or 888 back then. I was quite surprised when I joined yesterday so easily...you perhaps need to do more to keep the eastern European dwelling riff-raff out

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    One frame difference is the front sub-frame mount. Kits had the older style four bolt plate, and Stradas had the newer two cross bolt mount.
    Oh there's more, the bike frame has a different steering stop system than the 'project' frame, The 'project' frame has the standard late Ducati steering stop lugs welded to the bottom of the steering head tube, the bike frame has a narrow plate across the bottom frame tubes just behind the steering head tube. And the 'project' frame has lugs for a tank securing strap the bike frame doesn't

If it is a Kit frame then ...bugger! that's changed the dynamic a bit! Can't go restoring it as a Strada... or use that lovely swingarm on my Project bike...mmmm

I've lost track of which of your frames might be what, but I believe both Kit and Strada frames had the two little fingers or hooks on the underside of the front top cross tube for the pin in one end of the tank hold down strap. The frame on the Adamo/Leoni 851 presently being rebuilt is a two bolt front sub-frame mount Strada frame which replaced the original Kit frame after Jimmy crashed in oil at the Loudon National and the bike went airborne off the pit in wall. The 1988 Kit and Strada parts manuals show the same looking strap in the parts diagrams, but the p/n for the Kit one is 75910021A and the Strada p/n is 75910021B. Maybe slightly different lengths? Hopefully, the '88 parts manual pdf file is attached ok, but the way it was originally loaded up is a bitch to work with.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    I've lost track of which of your frames might be what, but I believe both Kit and Strada frames had the two little fingers or hooks on the underside of the front top cross tube for the pin in one end of the tank hold down strap. The frame on the Adamo/Leoni 851 presently being rebuilt is a two bolt front sub-frame mount Strada frame which replaced the original Kit frame after Jimmy crashed in oil at the Loudon National and the bike went airborne off the pit in wall. The 1988 Kit and Strada parts manuals show the same looking strap in the parts diagrams, but the p/n for the Kit one is 75910021A and the Strada p/n is 75910021B. Maybe slightly different lengths? Hopefully, the '88 parts manual pdf file is attached ok, but the way it was originally loaded up is a bitch to work with.
    :-) Okay I have two frames, one is on the bike that I bought, the other I bought stand-alone for my project. The 'project' frame looks identical to the one in your photos. The 'bike' frame has the square plate mount at the front of the steering head tube. It has a different steering stop arrangement. But it doesn't have the hooks for the tank securing strap... in all other respects both frames look identical. I will try to take some photo's tomorrow, I'll also have a 'feel around' to see if the tank strap hooks were there but had been removed.

Thanks for the manual. But I guess locating parts nearly 30 years on would be problematical :-) The plastic P8 holder for example, and the fuel distribution 'rail' thingy!

Edited to add: The 'Bike' Frame also doesn't have the two tabs for the triangular fillet plate behind the steering head, the 'project' frame does.
    Last edited by Geo7863; 03-12-2017 at 01:53 AM.

looking at another thread here, on the 851 Engine, someone had posted which Engine serial numbers belonged to which bike.

My engine has the serial number ZDM851W4*850203* which is apparently (according to Ian Falloon originally) a Kit engine. The frame according to the spare parts catalogue is a kit Frame. yet when the bike was auctioned by Bonhams.. they had an addendum saying that it was a Strada according to the Factory!

if the frame is a kit and the engine is a kit.. I definitely cant use bits for my project bike!

Here's the link to the Auction (I didn't buy it from Bohmans It cost me 7K from the owner (who also had a Strada in mint condition for sale)

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/211...?category=list

Maybe someone on here with a known legitimate Kit frame could verify what the frame end of the tank strap hooks onto, but I'm thinking the front sub-frame mounting is the most obvious and reliable indicator.

+ Reply to Thread