+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie..but not to Ducati's

Default Newbie..but not to Ducati's

Well hello all.... never thought I'd join this site. I was a regular on the old Ducatisti and know a few here I daresay... but when I tried to join here about 6 years ago I received an email from an admin saying that I wasn't the kind of member that the site needs! maybe they didn't like me on Ducatisti or maybe its because I live in the former Warsaw pact area....who knows!

Anyhow here I am, I bought a scruffy old Tricolore Kit/Strada last year.... It was raced in Japan so I don't know if its a kit or a Strada..the frame is a Strada but it had the kit exhausts and swing arm...who knows what the engine is!!

I only bought it because I want to make a replica of the 748ie racer that started the 851/888 family and luckily I managed to get my grubby mitts on one of the original 748 tanks and a nice set of M1R magnesium yokes.

However whilst I still want to do that project (I have to finish my TT1 F1 race replica first!) I also want to restore the Tricolore to 'Strada' standard. So I guess I will be asking a fair few technical questions here.

cheers for now, George

Here's the Tricolore.
    Attached Images

And here's the 748 tank...on a dirt cheap Tricolore frame I got from Japan.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Geo7863; 03-11-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Doesn't look too scruffy, how's it sound?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Doesn't look too scruffy, how's it sound?
    Bill

Oh its scruffy alright, underneath the fairing and tank its a mass of corrosion and flaky paint. I've only had it running twice before I started to strip bits off it.. and with those Kit exhausts on it, it sounds bloody wonderful. It hadn't had a service in years so I didn't want to push my luck with it though.

How do you know the frame is a Strada?

How do you know the frame is a Strada?
    Ducati said so.. the previous owner asked the factory... and the Engine is not the original engine for that frame, but they didn't say what bike it came out of.. so It may be a Kit engine...as the bike was being raced. I will only know when the engine gets stripped for a re-build I guess.

but when I tried to join here about 6 years ago I received an email from an admin saying that I wasn't the kind of member that the site needs! maybe they didn't like me on Ducatisti or maybe its because I live in the former Warsaw pact area....who knows!

Don't know who that was but it sure as hell wasn't me!!

Marvin

One frame difference is the front sub-frame mount. Kits had the older style four bolt plate, and Stradas had the newer two cross bolt mount.

One frame difference is the front sub-frame mount. Kits had the older style four bolt plate, and Stradas had the newer two cross bolt mount.
    The 'complete bike' frame has the older plate mount, the extra frame that I bought for my project has the two bolt lugs across the front of the steering head. But like I said apparently the factory said that it's a Strada Frame... The Bike was at auction a few years ago as a Kit... cant find the link right now....and they had an addendum on the Bikes details stating that the factory says its a Strada Frame, the engine wasn't original to that frame and the clutch cover and hugger are not original either... Maybe I should contact them again myself.

+ Reply to Thread