+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing in the shed.

Default Playing in the shed.

Just been getting into a mind set process I'm labelling NCRation. First you look at every NCR bike you can find, and stare at them endlessly over a period of years. In between look at the collection of your S2 in bits. There is no thinking, just looking and absorbing the vibe. Finally one day your sole can bare it no more and your hip pocket has developed a bulge. A box is opened and the first part sets you in motion. The thought process is now intertwined with our once three , but then 2 mates from Borgo Panigale who liked to piss about making bikes go better.

Today for me it was the clutch arms turn. I pondered what the boys would do. Ti of coarse. Back then cost would have put them off, but as I happened across a bit of Ti plate, ( that came from a gold separation plant in South Africa no less), for free, why not. So today I cut it out. It is at this point, for those who might be contemplating building a Titanium dolls house for the favourite niece, don't. Ti is bulshit to cut. The slots I initially half depth cut with angle grinder cutting disc, 4 of them. Having run out of cutting discs I had to resort to the pneumatic hacksaw, 3 blade changes. Ti is tough hey.

Previously I machined up a the rear caliber control rod frame stand off out of Ti. It does seem. to machine well.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by griff851; 01-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

As the old cobbler had died many years ago, and the elves could compete with Nike labour policies. The little bastards have been sneaking into the shed at night.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by griff851; 02-08-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Lovely!!!
    Cheers!
    Thomas

Coming along Griff. 👍

looking good Griff, whats the treatment process for the cases, its a good look!

Looks great Griff!! I wonder how it would cut with a plasma cutter!??

Cleaning cases: mix vinegar and cream of tartar into a paste. Apply and leave on for a bit, doesn't matter if it dries. Wash off. Ta-da clean and environmentally friendly. It forms boric acid. Both products come from making wine, so very Italian as well.

Probably would cut with a plasma cutter, but I don't have one, mores the pity. I must say though, that working with Ti is hard work but really satisfying. I do like machining it on lathe, just feels nice. I had to hook into a bit of round stock Ti to make a 40mm x 65mm stand off for the rear brake rod. Not sure of the grade other than color Code was blue, but that means sod all.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

After much grinding and a bit of welding and mill work, 1 titanium clutch push rod lever. 63% the weight of the original but 25mm longer. Made from a gold seperation tank anode from South Africa, and an F111 Ti bolt.
    Note to self: never do this again.
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread