+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 926 Racing Pistons

Cool 926 Racing Pistons

Does anyone know, where Ducati sourced the piston rings from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducal View Post
    Does anyone know, where Ducati sourced the piston rings from ?
    Ducal

Are you asking because you have a set of Omega pistons which require rings?

G'day Mark,

A negative on that. I am going to get Omega to make a run of 926 Pistons. However they did not supply the rings for that particular piston. Ducati had another supplier ...... Just need to know who.

I have 2 Pistons which came from France and both have different skirt lengths ?????

Omega have to quote " 1000's of drawings ", and I guess in the fullness of time they are difficult to allocate to a particular application. So specific infos are vital.

G'day Mark,

A negative on that. I am going to get Omega to make a run of 926 Pistons. However they did not supply the rings for that particular piston. Ducati had another supplier ...... Just need to know who.

I have 2 Pistons which came from France and both have different skirt lengths ?????

Omega have to quote " 1000's of drawings ", and I guess in the fullness of time they are difficult to allocate to a particular application. So specific infos are vital.

How many pistons are required for Omega to make the run. Never heard that Omega would produce short runs-- unlike Wisco. I have a set of NOS 926 rings in Ducati shrink wrap cards with no indication of the ring supplier. I am surprised that Omega could not give you a list of the suppliers that they sourced their rings in the late 80's early '90's-- strange.

Do you wish me to make a few skirt measurements on the 926 Omega pistons I may have on the shelf to try to narrow down what you want Omega to build? I agree with Omega in the sense that I have had a few sets of 926 Omega pistons and they all were a bit different in the skirt and on the top face- and I think they had the same Omega number on the underside. . But the rings were always the same dimensions.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    How many pistons are required for Omega to make the run. Never heard that Omega would produce short runs-- unlike Wisco. I have a set of NOS 926 rings in Ducati shrink wrap cards with no indication of the ring supplier. I am surprised that Omega could not give you a list of the suppliers that they sourced their rings in the late 80's early '90's-- strange.

Do you wish me to make a few skirt measurements on the 926 Omega pistons I may have on the shelf to try to narrow down what you want Omega to build? I agree with Omega in the sense that I have had a few sets of 926 Omega pistons and they all were a bit different in the skirt and on the top face- and I think they had the same Omega number on the underside. . But the rings were always the same dimensions.
    G'day Mark

Minimum run is 10 sets, I have 3 motors which leaves 7 pairs which I would sell on a none profit shipping covered basis.

I have a motor with the top end removed so I will take measurements when I fly home from work. If you can provide measurements aswell that would be great, I anticipate that they will vary. Even though the Pistons were stamped with the Ducati part number, Omega cannot be 100% sure without measurements.

Alan

Cool

Mark

The Pistons I have are all stamped Omega 350 one had the part # 122.2.045.1A ????

Mark

The Pistons I have are all stamped Omega 350 one had the part # 122.2.045.1A ????
    Yes-- 350. Where changes could have been made is that the same 350 piston had a part number change in '95 for 916/955 Corse 12220431A

why not just select a suitable je/wiseco ring set and spec that to omega. you know you'll always be able to get them that way.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Despite what's claimed on their website Omega actually source their rings from Japan, they have a delivery every two weeks...Or so they told me earlier this year.
    I'd measure the ring grooves on the pistons and supply that info' to them, they should then be able to get some for you.
    I've got 96mm Pistal's for my 955 motor,I could measure the thickness of the rings for you to see if they're the same.

Steve R

Cool

Omega, at times supplied pistons only to the factory, and Ducati sourced the rings. Omega are a bit hard to pin down, i've been waiting 2 months for circlips. Had to rob some from a brand new set of 916R pistons I had, to rebuild a 926. Preference is Omega, but there needs to be some movement ASAP. It seems their archive / document department is questionable. I am going to forward measurements kindly forwarded by forum members and see how we go from there. Hopefully we can get a small run manufactured.

+ Reply to Thread