+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: AHRMA 2017 Rules

Default AHRMA 2017 Rules

So, I just saw this on the AHRMA site:

"10.9.2.b.1 – Next Gen Superbike (engine)
    Change as follows: “Four-cylinder air- or oil-cooled machines must retain stock stroke. Stock Bore may be increased
    up to .080” (2mm) the class limit of 1000cc.” (Chris Onwiler)
    Committee: No. Discussion: LL motion to reject; DP seconded.
    July Board: 12 For/ 0 Against the motion
    October Action: KB motion to reject; FG seconded.
    October Board: 11 For/ 1 Recuse (MH) the motion"

I don't know what the practical bore limit of a oil cooled Suzuki 750 is but according to this it could be a 1000cc displacement. I say bullshit. I also say bullshit to 996 stud spaced 888's and 888's with shower injectors, but that's another story.

EDIT: You know, once I read this again I understand the motion was rejected, so......never mind!!

Scott
    Last edited by JSR29; 11-02-2016 at 06:40 PM.

I totally agree with the 996 stud spacing. It appears as though AHRMA
    a has written the rules so "money talks" Anyone with a limited budget might as well not apply unless you have a really good rider. ( I realize it's 10% bike, 90% rider)

That's why I am selling my prospective Gen II race bike off bit by bit.

Marvin
    Last edited by marvin; 11-02-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Spellin'

Not just the money, a full bore 955 corse engine isn't cheap to build either, but it existed in the period. 996s did not. Nor did FI beyond dual injector 50mm. I don't blame anyone, cough...CB, for building to the limits of the rules and pocketbook. I blame the rulemakers. I understand why the 4cyl guys would complain. There's no way to build a 150+ hp period 750.

I know the later cases rule was for "reliability and availability" reasons but there are later reliable 916 spaced cases.

Period motors did not make 150+ horsepower. I remember dynoing one of Adamo's 1990ish bikes at 120hp and thinking that was a lot at the time. Certainly more than any other twin we had run till then. My, late lamented, 916/955 made 138rwhp and it was strung pretty tight.

YES,I too blame the rulemakers. Even though I have a 996 engine that I could use with SPS cams. I don't understand the 996 rule (although a 955 is basically a grenade engine)( but so is a 996 if built up).

I don't blame CB either, but throwing 30K at a bike is way out of my price range!!

Marvin

I somehow doubt even you could replicate the CB 888 for only $30K!
    Ultimately I figure it's about the lap times, and checking out the AHRMA times at the tracks I know, I think I might be able to hang in there. So I'm going to go ahead with my budget build.

Go for it!! and more power too you!!

I would love to see someone beat "the money" !!

I just can't afford to compete.

I´m curently building a 996 engine for ny 748 R for particiaiting in clasic racing in Sweden.
    Rules says bikes -98 but 996 is allowed.
    SPS engine with pistal HC pistons and bigger throttle bodies. I hope it will give +130 at wheel.
    There will be lots of guys with 916 or other bikes with lees HP that will be alot quicker though...
    Cheers!
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by JSR29 View Post
    Not just the money, a full bore 955 corse engine isn't cheap to build either, but it existed in the period. 996s did not. Nor did FI beyond dual injector 50mm.
    1. The 996 cases and spacing did not exist, but twins were allowed up to 1000cc at the time (even if nobody took full advantage).
    2. Ducatis would not be all three of "competitive/durable/economical" using the older cases.
    3. Restricting the 851/888 throttle bodies to non-shower type and max size could even the field a bit.
    4. Chris Bush's Muzzy ZXR750R had plenty of motor at Barber.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

I'd never have a problem racing against a "vintage" bike that's built to the max possible in the period. When somebody brings out an actual factory or factory support bike from the period that's what vintage racing is about. Heck, the fast guys on the fast bikes were fast then and they're fast now.

But. Stuffing a later NASCAR V8 in a 69 TransAm Camaro and calling it vintage because it also has pushrods and a carburetor doesn't work.

Sounds like the AHRMA are like the CRMC over here, trying to keep to period even though with the right money there are ways around it. The Classic TT suffers the same crazy money route if you can afford an XR69 (with a very modern engine) you can win, you could well see a situation where if you want to compete with a good result the first 10 bikes home will all be the same, where's the fun in that. I use a 996 as the casings are better than the old ones and the rules there allow me to, but they still aren't as quick as some of the 750's (if they are). If you guys did go down the 955 route how long till parts and money dried up?
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

+ Reply to Thread