+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Period correct brake master cylinder?

Default Period correct brake master cylinder?

So I've seen plenty of info/photo's of the sexy billet P4 calipers on the Corse bikes but not so much on the master cylinders of the time. Anybody able to help me out with some info?

I'm making slow but steady progress with my Strada to race bike project. Amongst other bits and bobs I have the Corse carbon intake runners and Corse carbon instrument pod. The trouble I'm having at the moment is after fitting Ohlins FG9051's and appropriate SP triples the brake master (looks like 916 style, fitted by previous owner) is clashing with the instrument pod/tacho at what seems like a ridiculously small angle when turning left.

The Corse (Oronero replica) parts and SP front end should be a match made in heaven but the brake m/c clash makes it pretty much unusable and because the m/c is the only non-standard part I'm just wondering what they used back in the day.

Sorry, I'd supply a photo but I'm stuck working away on nightshift and just mulling over what the issue could/might be.

I just have these pics from mine.
    It is still dismounted, waiting to be rebuilt.

First when I received it (the clutch master cylinder is not the "good" Racing version but I have it too)

Here fully dismounted, waiting the last new parts for the rebuilding (one remade and one in order). The original piston axle had been yellow dichtomate because of the original state, but I have a black new one.
    Brembo logo is normally red painted (removed after a full cleaning), I have to repaint it.

And another one not very clear (crop/zoom)
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BABA View Post
    And another one not very clear (crop/zoom)
    Thanks BABA! I think your last photo explains everything: my clip-ons are different.

I don't have a great photo available but you can see in the "as found" photo attached that my bars have a small stand-off from the collar that positions the bars further forward. They look OEM and very similar construction to yours so I fear I have the road version and yours are probably some almost unobtainable "Racing" part? I can feel a squirming in my back pocket as my wallet tries to go into hiding!

Interesting too that your master cylinders are the "radial" type, I wasn't sure if they were actually around back then. I have been hesitant to go down this route for fear of getting protested with non-period modifications in my post-classic race class.

The rule is very badly written in that it simply says:
    14.21.3.1 Radial brakes are prohibited. And that's it!

So you've definitely given me some wriggle room to counter any arguments, not that it's really likely to happen fighting trench warfare in the mid-field.

If I can stretch your patience just a little further would you mind confirming the size/ratio of the brake master? And despite your reservations regarding that clutch master I must admit to feelings of pure lust for pretty much anything billet with Brembo written on the side.....just lovely.

Thanks very much for your help kind sir!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by seven4nineR; 04-29-2016 at 12:05 PM.

It's a PR19x20.

Indeed, your handle bars are the road version (mine are the Racing ones, with no offset).

What I understand in your race rules, is that radial brakes calipers and forks are not allowed, not master cylinders.
    Because brake or clutch radial master cylinders exist since the 80's at least, so I guess they leave racing bikes using their original parts...
    You need to ask to be sure, but I would be surprized if they were not allowed.

Thanks BABA, I really appreciate the info.

Now the hunt for some Racing clipons begins........

Original handlebars are quite hard to find.
    If you are pressed for time, you can find some clip ons with no offset on the web, like these (here in 50 mm, but you can have them in 51 mm)...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renthal-Re...-/371262578308

... and searching quietly the original ones if you want them for your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by BABA View Post
    Original handlebars are quite hard to find.
    If you are pressed for time, you can find some clip ons with no offset on the web, like these (here in 50 mm, but you can have them in 51 mm)...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renthal-Re...-/371262578308

... and searching quietly the original ones if you want them for your bike.
    You sir are a gem! I'm normally not bad at sifting the 'net looking for parts like a pig hunting for truffles but these reduced offset clipons have been rather elusive, so again you've done me a very kind favour.

Thanks mate!

You're welcome

+ Reply to Thread