+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hi newbie with 92' 851 SP3

Lovely machine Pat, it would be worth taking a spare one (reg.rec.) with you if you're riding all that way. Make sure your connections are nice and secure. They all eventually vibrate loose, especially whilst you do use the bike. I've had a couple go in the 28 years I've had my SP2. 1500 miles is a long way to go without any spares back up. She's getting an old lady now, will need a bit more fettling. Ride and enjoy pal..ride and enjoy ....

cheers,adie851

Quote Originally Posted by adie851 View Post
    Lovely machine Pat, it would be worth taking a spare one (reg.rec.) with you if you're riding all that way. Make sure your connections are nice and secure. They all eventually vibrate loose, especially whilst you do use the bike. I've had a couple go in the 28 years I've had my SP2. 1500 miles is a long way to go without any spares back up. She's getting an old lady now, will need a bit more fettling. Ride and enjoy pal..ride and enjoy ....

cheers,adie851
    Thnxs adie, im not riding all the way we did in 2016!!! That was enuff!! Rec/rec turned up this morn n lookin plug n play lets hope??!!

Cheers Pat

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Pat

You were very lucky this problem reared its ugly head now and not down in Italy. My mate and his brand new 955 (Yes one of the original 50 homologation specials) had the same problem on an Italian motorway at 37 degrees on the way to WDW 2000 (I think). Of course Top Gear rules counted so me on my Triumph and my other mate on his ZX12R went off ahead. Little did we know he would be stranded on the motorway for 5 hours with a flat mobile phone battery and only through sheer luck did a transporter come by and drag him off to a garage. About 12 hours after we hit the bar and were already snoring our heads off did he turn up...........................NOT HAPPY.............a silly little component but one that can stop the bike. Early Ducati,s were famous for it . Have a good trip and post photos please.

Quote Originally Posted by dudlington View Post
    Pat

You were very lucky this problem reared its ugly head now and not down in Italy. My mate and his brand new 955 (Yes one of the original 50 homologation specials) had the same problem on an Italian motorway at 37 degrees on the way to WDW 2000 (I think). Of course Top Gear rules counted so me on my Triumph and my other mate on his ZX12R went off ahead. Little did we know he would be stranded on the motorway for 5 hours with a flat mobile phone battery and only through sheer luck did a transporter come by and drag him off to a garage. About 12 hours after we hit the bar and were already snoring our heads off did he turn up...........................NOT HAPPY.............a silly little component but one that can stop the bike. Early Ducati,s were famous for it . Have a good trip and post photos please.
    dudlington good heavens what a nightmare for ur mate!! Mine was it's genuine part so lasted quite well almost 20000 miles.
    Were mine stopped in Heanor on uphill church st only 28 n pushin her up hill was enuff!!!! Only waited half hr for mate to pic us up superb!!
    She's goin bac together this morn

Pat

Default Sp3...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat 851 SP3 View Post
    Thnxs adie, im not riding all the way we did in 2016!!! That was enuff!! Rec/rec turned up this morn n lookin plug n play lets hope??!!

Cheers Pat

As others have said, probably good that it happened before you left for Italy. I've fitted a couple of RR51s in the years I've had my SP3; I'd say they are better than the OEM device (which some might say that's not much of a compliment!) but if this one goes, I might consider a MOSFET replacement.

FWIW I've always followed Electrexworld's suggestion to wire the RR51 direct to the battery, but my bike was recently in with Carl Harrison (Harleston) and he re-wired it so it went via the big main fuse; he reckoned there was a chance of a big voltage spike frying the ECU if you went to the battery direct. Maybe others have a view on this?

Good luck with the trip.

Andrew

PS - beautiful bike! Interesting you never use the mirrors - I reckon they're the only Ducati where they actually work (916 and 1198S are totally useless)!
    851 SP3 #197
    1198S

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    As others have said, probably good that it happened before you left for Italy. I've fitted a couple of RR51s in the years I've had my SP3; I'd say they are better than the OEM device (which some might say that's not much of a compliment!) but if this one goes, I might consider a MOSFET replacement.

FWIW I've always followed Electrexworld's suggestion to wire the RR51 direct to the battery, but my bike was recently in with Carl Harrison (Harleston) and he re-wired it so it went via the big main fuse; he reckoned there was a chance of a big voltage spike frying the ECU if you went to the battery direct. Maybe others have a view on this?

Good luck with the trip.

Andrew

PS - beautiful bike! Interesting you never use the mirrors - I reckon they're the only Ducati where they actually work (916 and 1198S are totally useless)!
    Thnxs Andrew
    My dad said wonder if + cable shud go threw main fuse??!! But just followed electrex drawing??!! Lets hope its ok

On track at misano on sunday aftanoon so hopefully it's still running by then!!

Pat

Thnxs Andrew
    My dad said wonder if + cable shud go threw main fuse??!! But just followed electrex drawing??!! Lets hope its ok

On track at misano on sunday aftanoon so hopefully it's still running by then!!

Pat

Andrew
    Tuesmorn swoppin positive + cable threw big fuse 👍 thnxs for post of poss prob!! Spot on mate thnxs

Cheers Pat

Andrew
    Tuesmorn swoppin positive + cable threw big fuse 👍 thnxs for post of poss prob!! Spot on mate thnxs

Cheers Pat

Passes arrive for wdw 2018 1 for me n 1 for top yoke!!

Pat

Personally I wouldn't use a Electrex RR51, I've used them several times in the past and found them to be not that good!
    They function OK for a while and then start to over charge, with the volts gradually creeping up and up until they can fry the battery.
    I have friends in the Ducati Owners Club who've found the same when using them.
    I pointed this out to Electrex who sent me a replacement FOC, but sure enough after a few thousand miles it went the same way as all the other RR51's.
    So I went over to fitting genuine Shindengen units originally intended for the 748/9*6 bikes, these units have proved themselves to be pretty much bullet proof in use.
    However when I last upgraded the charging system for my 851 I went over to fitting a Shindengen "Mossfet" reg/rec, this unit has given me absolutely NO PROBLEMS in well over 10,000 miles.
    You should be OK to go to the WDW, but if I were you I'd dump the Electrex RR51 as soon as you return before it F'cks up your battery/possibly your bike mate.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a Electrex RR51, I've used them several times in the past and found them to be not that good!
    They function OK for a while and then start to over charge, with the volts gradually creeping up and up until they can fry the battery.
    I have friends in the Ducati Owners Club who've found the same when using them.
    I pointed this out to Electrex who sent me a replacement FOC, but sure enough after a few thousand miles it went the same way as all the other RR51's.
    So I went over to fitting genuine Shindengen units originally intended for the 748/9*6 bikes, these units have proved themselves to be pretty much bullet proof in use.
    However when I last upgraded the charging system for my 851 I went over to fitting a Shindengen "Mossfet" reg/rec, this unit has given me absolutely NO PROBLEMS in well over 10,000 miles.
    You should be OK to go to the WDW, but if I were you I'd dump the Electrex RR51 as soon as you return before it F'cks up your battery/possibly your bike mate.

Steve R
    Thnxs Steve R will keep avo handi

Goin on wedsmorn 👍

Pat

+ Reply to Thread