+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early 851 photographs

Default Early 851 photographs

I've been slowly scanning my old photographs into my computer, and thought a few from my days in the Ducati trade might be of interest as they are a bit unusual. Apologies for the quality, but this was a cheap film camera printed on budget paper and then scanned. Anyway, I hope they are of interest. These were taken when the 851 was launched, from the trade days at the large Cologne and Milan motorcycle shows. The frame was displayed on the Verlicchi stand (they made Ducati frames). More to follow.
    Attached Images

Default Ducati factory 1989

These photos of 851 production were taken in March 1989 when I attended the factory for instruction on the technical side of the new 851. Still very much an old fashioned factory, with old warehouses full of completed bikes. I love the piles of pre-rusted parts! The bearded guy is a much younger version of me. Photo 7 shows a bike being prepped for a thrash round the test track, photo 8 is (I think) a Lucchinelli Replica, and photo 9 shows the classroom where we learned how the ottovalvole worked. I also managed to sneak some photos in the Experimental Department (not shown).
    Last edited by NCR900; 02-13-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Default And Finally.....

These photo's show my friend Graeme Ritchie at Brands Hatch (Kent, England) in March 1994 with his brand new 888 Corsa. I thought this might interest the rivet counters as it is straight out of the crate. I believe it cost him £25,000, a hell of a lot of money back then, and still a lot now. Sadly Graeme was killed at Brands Hatch in August 1997 competing in the WSB round at Brands Hatch, I think possibly whilst riding this bike (I stand to be corrected on that). Graeme was a fantastic guy who always lived for the moment and tomorrow was another day. Sadly missed by all who knew him.

Thanks a lot for sharing these photos !!!

Great pictures.
    If you have more,keep them coming.

Henk!!!

Great photos, thank you. Are the two photos of the all red bodywork complete bikes in your first two posts Lucchinelli Replica's? The Verlicchi display photo is the first good photo I've seen that shows the 4-bolt "F1/Bevel" style front sub-frame mount that was only on 851 Kit frames.
    Bill
    And is that a big dent on the swing arm in the Verlicchi photo?
    Last edited by wgsvintage; 02-13-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Default Verlicchi

Funny, but I noticed that too - it does look rather like a big dent, maybe because this was a display item that was hauled about. I believe the bikes you refer to are Lucchinelli Replicas (that's on the back of the photo's), but there are better experts than me on this forum. The exact dates of the photo's are in the titles if that helps. I scanned these first as they are all 851 stuff, but I'll try and get a few more oddballs done soon to post.
    Last edited by NCR900; 02-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCR900 View Post
    The exact dates of the photo's are in the titles if that helps.
    It does. November, 1987 on the Verlicchi photo is pretty early 851 stuff - very interesting.

love the crates of cranks.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Really cool pics
    Thanks for sharing.

For the "red bike", indeed, it is the first privateer racing bike from 89, a "Lucchinelli Replica" and the naked bike next to it too.

Great period pics of the 926 (my favorite).
    There are few pics of that bike here -> http://forums.autosport.com/topic/93614-graeme-ritchie/

+ Reply to Thread