+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For those in the know

Default For those in the know

Does this look fairly stock, i.e. no mods?
    From what I can tell it's missing the hugger and the centres of the wheels have been painted and outeres polished.
    It's a Japanese import into Aus, as far as I know there is no difference in specs?
    Thanks in advance.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osbor...max/1094889889

Hi Dave ( ! )

The wheels are the correct ( for it's year ) 16" magnesium spoke / alloy rim Mavic originals, just the same as MK1 900 SL's ( except 16" ). It's missing the big dopey-looking round mirrors, it has bolts in the holes ( top of nose fairing by windscreen ). Hand grips don't look like the originals, but easy to get. Otherwise it looks stock as a block.

I saw this bike last week when I was in there getting a new chain. From memory of a very quick glance as I walked past, my thoughts were it needed a bit of a clean up, triple clamp etc area looked tired. You could look at it from the other point of view of it's not hiding much..........

After what I've been through, I'd be wanting to see it with the fairings off, and having a good look over it. Lots of bits for these are either hard or impossible to get. Ask me how I know. Happy to have a look at it with you if you want, just PM me.

851 / 888 run soon?
    Last edited by Jafa; 11-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post

Just hurry up and finish tearing her apart so you stop finding broken bits.
    SP3 #132
    1992 900 SS

It seems to look ok in those pictures - less the missing hugger. I believe those are the stock Strada mirror / turn signals. Those two piece 16" wheels have some safety concerns, but ok tires are now available again.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jafa View Post
    Hi Dave ( ! )

The wheels are the correct ( for it's year ) 16" magnesium spoke / alloy rim Mavic originals, just the same as MK1 900 SL's ( except 16" ). It's missing the big dopey-looking round mirrors, it has bolts in the holes ( top of nose fairing by windscreen ). Hand grips don't look like the originals, but easy to get. Otherwise it looks stock as a block.

I saw this bike last week when I was in there getting a new chain. From memory of a very quick glance as I walked past, my thoughts were it needed a bit of a clean up, triple clamp etc area looked tired. You could look at it from the other point of view of it's not hiding much..........

After what I've been through, I'd be wanting to see it with the fairings off, and having a good look over it. Lots of bits for these are either hard or impossible to get. Ask me how I know. Happy to have a look at it with you if you want, just PM me.

851 / 888 run soon?
    Thanks mate, Yeh they are the correct rims but have been painted, the mirrors are correct for the tri as well mate.
    I went and looked at it yesterday and am still weighing it up, thanks for the offer as far as looking at it goes, if I go back I'll PM you Jaffa.
    Oh and as far as a run goes, would be great, see how I go :-)
    Last edited by duc 13; 11-17-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    It seems to look ok in those pictures - less the missing hugger. I believe those are the stock Strada mirror / turn signals. Those two piece 16" wheels have some safety concerns, but ok tires are now available again.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, what tyres do most run on these 16's?
    Talked to them about the wheels and they said that they repainted and also re bushed them,
    can't be a bad thing as long as they were done properly.

The Golden Tyre GT-70 and GT-71 were given good reviews on the TT/F1 forum. You might want to research a little on those wheels because of the safety concerns, if you're going to be really riding it. Switching to a 17" on the front is a little involved as the forks position the calipers for 280mm rotors - which have different mountings than the later 320mm rotors. The rear is easier.
    Bill
    http://www.goldentyre.com/en/product...re/#all/1/list

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    The Golden Tyre GT-70 and GT-71 were given good reviews on the TT/F1 forum. You might want to research a little on those wheels because of the safety concerns, if you're going to be really riding it. Switching to a 17" on the front is a little involved as the forks position the calipers for 280mm rotors - which have different mountings than the later 320mm rotors. The rear is easier.
    Bill
    http://www.goldentyre.com/en/product...re/#all/1/list
    Cheers Bill, good to know that you can still get decent rubber for the 16's.
    As far as the rims go, if I go any further with it , I'll be asking a few more questions for sure.
    As far as 17's go I realise it's not just a straight swap, it would be a sunny Sunday bike so
    would probably just stick with the 16's anyway.
    Last edited by duc 13; 11-18-2015 at 04:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread