+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 851 Racing '91 - magnesium alternator housing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    49

    Default 851 Racing '91 - magnesium alternator housing?

    Guys,
    i'm curious to know - did the 851 Racing '91 come with a biscuit coloured magnesium alternator housing, or was it a black painted one?
    I've seen two (including mine) which had black ones, but i've also seen RRR's with magnesium ones.
    Can anybody set me straight on this?
    Thanks,
    Tom.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Hi Tom-

    Officially the mag chain side cover was not an option for Customer Racing bikes until 1992. I am sure that the factory would provide one if requested by a favored team- but I would say most came with the black cover.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hi Mark,

    that's brilliant - thanks once again for your expertise.

    Tom.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    333

    Default

    It also seems that Ducati used the green chromate finish on all of the 851/888 Corsa stuff. They didn't go to the brown color until later (996, etc)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Only the clutch case, the chain adjusters, and the marvic wheels are in magnesium alloy on the R91.
    But as MarkT said, the Factory bikes or bikes supported by the factory have magnesium engine parts and triple clamps, and even some extra carbon or titanium parts compared to the "standard" corsa bikes.
    Last edited by BABA; 09-22-2015 at 12:17 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy 888 View Post
    It also seems that Ducati used the green chromate finish on all of the 851/888 Corsa stuff. They didn't go to the brown color until later (996, etc)
    Brian, I have a really early magnesium alternator cover - dated '89 (!) with the old Cagiva logo elephant on it

    I think, as Mark was saying, that the choice of a mag cover (on the 851 racing) is to do with whether the bike was factory or Customer spec.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BABA View Post
    Only the clutch case, the chain adjusters, and the marvic wheels are in magnesium alloy on the R91.
    But as MarkT said, the Factory bikes or bikes supported by the factory have magnesium engine parts and triple clamps, and even some extra carbon or titanium parts compared to the "standard" corsa bikes.
    Baba - on my 851 racing '91 the chain adjusters are gold anodised aluminium, not magnesium?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Also.... I found recently a green chromate magnesium clutch slave cylinder.

    I've never seen these before.

    Anybody know about these? Are they 888?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom.i View Post
    Also.... I found recently a green chromate magnesium clutch slave cylinder.

    I've never seen these before.

    Anybody know about these? Are they 888?

    Seen those on the early 916 bikes. Not sure if they were used earlier.
    '01 996R, '94 888 SPO Ltd, '88 851 Adamo racebike, '91 ZX-7R K1 homologation, '89 NSR250 MC18r5k, '01 Derbi GPR50/75, '71 CB450/500 café.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom.i View Post
    Baba - on my 851 racing '91 the chain adjusters are gold anodised aluminium, not magnesium?

    you are probably talking about the chain adjuster plates on the back of the swingarm,right?
    those where gold anodised or carbon on the 888 racing.
    but the chain adjusters inside the swing arms where green magnesium (again) some 851 racing and the 888 racing.

    henk!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 03:32 AM
  2. magnesium clutch housing
    By henk in forum For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 04:21 AM
  3. Ducati Corse vented magnesium clutch housing
    By Duc Superlight in forum For Sale
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
  4. Colour code for tan magnesium alternator cover
    By Jasper in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
  5. FS:Ducati Racing magnesium covers
    By Remquo in forum For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts