+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi All a new tricolore owner

Default Hi All a new tricolore owner

Gday All, my names Nath and Ive joined the forum as a good mate of mine just picked up a practically brand new 88 851 strada. it currently has 12 km's on the clock and used to be in a private collection in japan before coming to Oz to again sit idle. My mate is going to get it going for the road and its off to a thorough inspection once it arrives here, new belts all rubbers inspected etc. and new rubber.

Can you please give me a idea of what 17 rim will fit the bike, would 900ss or 89+ 851/888 rims slip straight in?

Also I guess that in the long run we will be keen to chase up all the "kit" parts. Can anyone tell exactly what all the parts were that came in the kit?

I expect there are some components we can fit to the bike for better reliability such as better regulators etc,

Look forum to reading through the forum, Ive always been keen on the 851/88 series. currently a victory judge and Benelli TnT R160 café racer in the garage, 851 owner has a monster 996S4, and HD wide glide, and he also picked up a mint condition tricked up 95 916SP we he purchased the 851.
    Cheer's
    Nath

Welcome on board
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Have a look at this thread re 16" vs 17" tyres and wheels:

http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...highlight=tyre

Cheers
    Nihel (& Claire)

Awesome, thanks Guys :-)

Welcome Nath. You can find parts manuals for both Tricolore versions on this forum here.
    http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...SBK-and-Strada
    Strictly my own opinion, but I don't think I'd start "molesting" a 12 kilometer Tricolore Strada at this point, especially now with a good street tire option with the Golden Tyres. I would however get it in good riding condition and ride it. There are a pretty fair amount of different and "unobtainum" parts between the Kit and Strada models, and you wouldn't have either one if you go down that road. Enjoy your Strada, it's only original once.
    Bill

Default thanks Bill

I take it the 17" rims from later 851 wont fit a 88 tricolore due to brake caliper spacers and the discs mounting holes etc. Thanks heaps for the golden tyres links !. These "replica rims" are they these ones Marvic are offering?

Yes, adapting the later 17's is a big job. The gold Marvic Streamlines are like what the Kits used. It would probably be worth double checking with them that they are set up to properly mount the older style 280mm rotors, as that is not mentioned on the website. Also, if I was using those on the street, I'd be pretty careful avoiding potholes.
    http://www.marvic.it/en/prodotto/vintage-streamline/
    Bill

I should have mentioned again the easier fork slider switching way to change to the later 17's on a Tricolore. A set of the M1R forks from a '89 or '90 851 or (only) a '92 907 IE has the caliper mounting lugs on the sliders positioned for 320 rotors. A set of those particular forks don't become available very often, and neither do the fork sliders as spares. You really have to be very careful when looking for M1R forks or parts because there were so many different versions made. Here's a head start on finding a correct part numbered R/H slider. Good luck finding a L/H one.
    Bill
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Marzo...979a6d&vxp=mtr

+ Reply to Thread