+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 888 SPS Tank

Default 888 SPS Tank

Hello all,

I've just joined up so I had best stick to the usual forum etiquette and introduce myself. Hi, my name is Nick and due to the heatrbreaking loss of my Dad last year I inherited his rather gorgeous and incredibly wonderful sounding Ducati 888 SPS.

I wont bore you with the details but it is a genuine 'one of the first 100' SPS model, not SP4.

But, it was only a few months before he passed away that he realised the tank had a tiny leak in the corner of it. My question is simple.... repair or replace? Whichever the answer can anyone direct me to the right place? I'm sure I could contact Ducati direct but I thought it would ask other owners as I'm pretty sure the 888 SPS tank will be an aftermarket pimp for the SP4. Buying genuine is preferable as I want to bike to stay in it's current (bar the tank issue) mint condition.

Would appreciate some advice.

Many thanks
    Nick

Default SPS Tank

Nick I have lined two carbon tanks now (one was weeping from ethanol melt) and have one sitting with standard fuel (ethanol in there too) for 6 months just to be 100% sure.

Keep the standard tank

Drop me a message and I can talk you through it if you need.

Guy851
    Attached Files
    Last edited by guy851; 04-03-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot the file

Quote Originally Posted by guy851 View Post
    Nick I have lined two carbon tanks now (one was weeping from ethanol melt) and have one sitting with standard fuel (ethanol in there too) for 6 months just to be 100% sure.

Keep the standard tank

Drop me a message and I can talk you through it if you need.

Guy851
    Perfect! Thank you for your help. That all seems pretty straight forward and as long as I'm careful should sort it right out. Much appreciated.

Does anyone make these tanks any longer? They look like a bag tank (type you get in a race car) with carbon shell to me.

Cheers
    Nick

Default SPS Tank

Hens teeth so keep that one going

Guy851

Hi Nick, welcome to the club,

Ducati never produced spare SPS tanks as far as i know...

So replacing would mean using a steel SP4 tank cause carbon ones are really really hard to find!
    And if you do find one it will probably be costing a small fortune.

So what's the top yoke # of your rare and beautiful specimen?

Cheers
    Jarno

i also think you have to repair it.
    it is really hard to find one for a decent price.
    i try to find one for a few years now all ready and i'm not the only one on the forum here.

henk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick888 View Post
    Perfect! Thank you for your help. That all seems pretty straight forward and as long as I'm careful should sort it right out. Much appreciated.

Does anyone make these tanks any longer? They look like a bag tank (type you get in a race car) with carbon shell to me.

Cheers
    Nick
    Hi Nick,

The SPS and Corse tanks were just carbon without any bag/bladder/liner, if your one has a liner it was put there at some time later, or someone's tried to seal it without success and the coating's coming away.
    Most of the lads on here who own these tanks have sealed them as Guy's posted, most of them with success.
    Caswell have a service where they'll seal it for for and guarantee their work for a fee, at least one forum member went down this route and they had to do the job again for him.
    Other owners just carry on with them until they play up, a good mate of mine's pukka 888SPS is still running it's OEM carbon tank without any problems so far.
    As has been posted they're as /rare as rocking Horse Pooh and when they do turn up command can a small (more like an absolute) fortune...

Steve R

+ Reply to Thread