+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MPL Titanium insert Clutch basket

Default MPL Titanium insert Clutch basket

In October 2006 I fitted an MPL Tuning Titanium insert Clutch basket to my 851.When I first saw them on Ebay I was impressed by its light weight and advanced design, and it just looked cool.
    Recently during an engine tear down (4000km after basket fit.)I found that the inserts had moved and my friction plate tangs were badly worn on an angle.Upon further investigation I found the inserts were pins with a flat machined on them, not plates like Barnett, thus they disperse the load very effectively to the Aluminum of the basket body. Very clever stuff. Unfortunately at some time in the last couple of years manufactures have shorted the tangs on friction plates from 6mm to 5mm.(Plate total diameter was 151.5mm, now 149.5mm) I fitted a Ducati Aluminum clutch kit, standard for all late models. This means that contact was reduced to 65%, and the pins rotated, then ate the tangs. MPL were unaware of this issue initially and as soon as they found out issued warnings and contacted customers and have suggested using ADIGE clutch disks (6mm tangs). I myself being an early customer failed to receive this information, as I imagine many others. I know that MPL were selling 2-3 a week on ebay for at least 5 months.
    I contacted MPL and we have come to a satisfactory result, which was achieved through their very professional and human attitude to their customers. Their products are the finest German engineering (Their Clutch slave cylinders are superior to anything else on the market in my opinion), and their support like wise. I cannot recommend dealing with the company highly enough!

Griff

Hi Griff,
    I've also got an MPL Slave cylinder and Ti' faced basket and agree with you on the quality of the kit.
    Reading your post had me worrying, so I went out to my workshop and inspected the clutch drum thankfully it's all OK after 5,000 miles.
    I'm using Barnett alloy backed friction plates and the tangs are wider but still only 5mm deep, I'll keep a close eye on them in the future.
    At the 2007 IOM TT I met Uli one of the guys from MPL, he told me that they no longer make the Ti' faced baskets and now face them with steel pins, I think it was because folk who were using the steel backed friction plates had experienced problems with rapid wear.

Steve R

Hi Steve, they sent me a set of 6mm tang steel plates, screws and some pins although I only needed one sort of. Great bloke that Uli. As you can see the Ducati Al plates were eaten.

Griff

What would be the consequences on the inserts with a genuine set steel plates ??

Phil911

As long as the tangs are 6mm, Uli tells me they will be OK.

Griff

+ Reply to Thread