+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ST4 casings for 851 92 internals..

Default ST4 casings for 851 92 internals..

Found a ST4 NOS case set (22520451A) as the saver for a damaged 851 92' engine (front attachment cracked after minor crash, w less than 10K KM ;-(not me !)

I can see from other threads that this should be a doable operation, but wonder if there are any special considerations for the switch over and migration of internals to new cases,…i.e. internal dimensions, different: bearings, gaskets, oil channels etc… ?

Any advice appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by stiglarsenDK; 03-03-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: adding pictures

do they have the large oil screen plug? hard to tell. you will need to match the oil pump inlet to the cases if so, and you'll need a pump with the relief in the pump cover regardless i believe.

they also have provision for the rh shift drum detent.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

I've a NOS set of late ST4 cases for my 955 motor, as Brad's said I had to source a large oil screen and plug along with a late model oil pump with it's built in pressure relief valve, note...
    The early type clutch cases has to be internally relieved to clear this.
    While I was at it I sourced some 999 oil pump drive/primary gears, the oil pump gear is well lightened as standard, when compared to a 851/888 gear.
    You'll also need a hollow "Red" bolt to allow the later under piston oil ways/coolers to work.
    As for the later RH side shift drum detent...
    The '92 onwards 851/888 cases had the casting in place for this update, they just needed tapping the thread to fit them.
    I'll have a look at my pair of cases tomorrow to see if you need a later model selector drum (it's not a problem for me as I've a genuine alloy Corse/RS drum for my motor).
    If you do need a later drum? I'm sure I've got one or two kicking around that you can have cheap.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    I've a NOS set of late ST4 cases for my 955 motor, as Brad's said I had to source a large oil screen and plug along with a late model oil pump with it's built in pressure relief valve, note...
    Ref STEIN DINZE catalog, ST4 cases it will take the small(old screen), but pump w relief valve PN 17420162A

The early type clutch cases has to be internally relieved to clear this.
    OK, small grider will do i recon...
    While I was at it I sourced some 999 oil pump drive/primary gears, the oil pump gear is well lightened as standard, when compared to a 851/888 gear.
    You'll also need a hollow "Red" bolt to allow the later under piston oil ways/coolers to work.
    Not clear... "RED" bolt ? . Where ? On the oil coolier assy or some where else (im going to use SP5 oil cooler assy)
    As for the later RH side shift drum detent...
    The '92 onwards 851/888 cases had the casting in place for this update, they just needed tapping the thread to fit them.
    I'll have a look at my pair of cases tomorrow to see if you need a later model selector drum (it's not a problem for me as I've a genuine alloy Corse/RS drum for my motor).
    If you do need a later drum? I'm sure I've got one or two kicking around that you can have cheap.
    Ok, please me know if old drum need to be replaced or i can use std 851 92 version ?

How about the oil drillings for cylinders, should i leave as is ? (i.e Vertical Cylinder 4 o'clock, picture 4)

I have a 996 SPS gear box w drum, can i use that or perhaps just the drum if needed ?

Steve R
    Few questions above ... Thanks alot for your help here guys !

BR STIG
    Last edited by stiglarsenDK; 02-28-2015 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Update after some home work

Quote Originally Posted by stiglarsenDK View Post
    Few questions above ... Thanks alot for your help here guys !

BR STIG
    I have been looking into the shifter parts.. seem 2 versions ... std 888 and them the newer version, i.e ST4
    I understand the feature and the end of the new version, but what the thicker section about??
    Do they take the same swich ? and do the shifter drums have the same interface / funktion othervise... interchangability ?
    Attached Images

plastic sektion for neutral light, not the same as the early ones.

Left side and forks are the same
    Cheers!
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by hauge View Post
    plastic sektion for neutral light, not the same as the early ones.

Left side and forks are the same
    Got it, plastic section as isolator and single wire swich !

+ Reply to Thread