+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The dodgy old bike racing season begins

Default The dodgy old bike racing season begins

Well the next assault on classic racing is underway. Got the 450 up and away for the first round if the southern downs, which is a national. Set it out the door running clean and strong, but with more room for mods for more go later on.

To be honest the 450 looks like a bag of crap, so by the end of the season it will be blown up or going like stink. Had a worried phone call from the pilot, as when he got it home he fired it up, and filled the garage with smoke. The good old "she'll be right mate give some stick and bed the rings." He raced, it worked. He did complain about the $100 front drum and forks... Brett's an old A grader. He also realised it's time to use a rubber band to hold his glasses on.
    Can't really tell you what it revs to as $5 tacho was of no use. Might have to spend 10 bucks.

The 250 is nearly ready for it's season first appearance. Getting good at pulling it apart and back together. Takes an hour from mounted to holding a gear cluster in my paw. Takes about 2 hrs to have it back in the frame ready to turn taps.
    It had a bit of bad karma with a JE piston. Piston kept rocking in the bore, with clearances right on the money, then less some after I coated it. Nasty short skirt top heavy thing.
    Thanks to Nigel's amazing spare parts deliver, problemo shoulda go away.

Should get that running on Thursday, just got to go make a rear guard out of thin ally. Not sure if I'm going use the roller and shrinker, or the hammer and associated bits. I met a guy who has a gas axe, sand bag and various hammers, and a bench mounted anvil. Fun.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

have you you got any pictures Griff? I love these old bike racing stories.

m

Its a story of many things and how to do it. This sections shows first race last year. Lots of smoke and a 36 Dellorto, recovered from some blokes bin, and made to work, all be it not that well. (it came from a bin).
    I came in for some maintenance It went out with a bargain near new 36 dellorto which cost AU$179 and a new inlet manifold, real race muffler, a new header, high comp piston, some port work, with a new larger inlet valve and guides, swing arm pin and replacement accelerator cable and rear break spring, gear change lever re-bushed, and seat apolstery. It went out and did what it was supposed to do…Not blow up.
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

The 250 and the stuff i put down so the deco wouldn't get up the intake coming out of the shed.
    What happens when a roller rod bearing shits it self. Teaching the front end a lesson in stability.
    And pits last year at the Big Chill. Should have the same again this, but much faster stable machines.
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

What you see in the pits a lot, but this time at Lakeside. Oh the IOM contender from last year, wot I just happen to be able to fix for them, using bevel magic and fixing sticks. The guy in the pic has his own TV show about bikes. Eh! I won't hold that against him.
    And looking down lakeside pit lane
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

And this took about 5 hours to beat into submission with 2 annealing sessions with the gas axe. Make from next size up from coke cans. Lighter than carbon at 100grams, but would get mangled as a front guard. I'm pretty happy with it. Doublers should stop vibration tearing it due to work hardening from vibration at the mount points. Another hour and it would be smoother than a smooth thing. But out if time, so time to make brackets and doublers and soild rivit it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by griff851; 02-26-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Finally the guard properly. Now the nasty decomposed granite at the pit area at Stanthorpe won't stick all over the rear of the engine.
    Attached Images
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Griff- I hear that Pepsi cans are a bit easier to form and only need a single anneal.

No Redbull jokes on this one? Cool pics Griff.

Rgds

Mark

And racebike no 2 finished and off to the track next weekend for a running in session. Goes like stink Powe comes in at about 7500 and I've had it out to 10500 and its still pulling like a train. Got it set with an extra base gasket for running in. I'll remove it for max compression and we'll use avgas, that and a bit more advance an it should seriously hook.
    The rider to it for its exceptance ride. Words cannot describe the sound that filled up our little end of the vally. He was 3km away and I could here the gear changes still. Funny to listen to him finding where the power was. He picked it up pretty quick.
    I reckon its a horrible vibey nasty, but the rider who has ridden singles all his life says it felt smooth. I'll stick to bevel twins and my 851 me thinks.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by griff851; 03-07-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread