+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: P8/SP3 Tuning in the USA

Default P8/SP3 Tuning in the USA

Here is another thread on "what should I do with tuning my SP3?). Here is the long saga of the bike. I traded my ex-Fogarty 888 for a new Desmosedici and this SP3. The SP3 had been sitting in a museum for years, and neither of the two previous owners ever started the bike.

I go to start it and do not hear the fuel pump run when cycling the ignition on/off, oh great. I check voltage to the fuel pump from the relay and it is good. Take a look in the fuel tank, and instead of nice clean gasoline there is grey/black liquid in the tank. Drain the tank and inspect: The fuel pump and filter are non-original and some has wrapped rubber around them and tie-strapped them in place to make them fit. The fuel hoses are old, cracked and stamped "made in Mexico" The bottom of the tank is covered in old rubber debris. I order a new fuel pump, pump mount, screen, correct filter and hoses.
    Clean out the tank and wait for the parts to arrive.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Foggy 888; 01-26-2015 at 12:26 AM.

""""" I traded my ex-Fogarty for a new Desmosedici and this SP3. """"

What a surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, I start cleaning up the bike and replacing other parts that are non-original. The license plate bracket had been cut short, so I found a very nice used one on ebay. I was in the process of installing the bracket, when I noticed that the fuel injection ECU is an IAW 435 P8 with "916 Strada EU" crossed out in magic marker.

For a minute I think "Cool, faster processor, offset fuel mapping, remembers programming changes", but then I think "Wait a second, what kind of EPROM is in there that will work on an SP3 with dual injectors".
    I remove the cover to find a Fast by Ferracci F00107S 888SPO Stage 1 chip.
    Great, I have always wanted a twin-injector 888SP and now I have one that only uses two of the four injectors.
    Now I look at the injectors, it has green IW031 top feed injectors on original SP3 throttle bodies with no air bleeds. The electrical connectors are connected to all four injectors.

Now I know that I have not even started or ridden the bike, but I want it to run as best as it can, with a nice smooth torque curve and SP top end pull.

From what I gather, no twin injector 888 SP with the exception of the late SP5 ever came with a P8 ECU and the SP2/3/4 EPROMS will only work in a P7 ECU.

The SPO/SP5 appears to have come with an IAW 437 P8/7 as shown in the image below. Will the chip from this ECU work in an IAW 435 P8 916 Strada ECU?

The local tuner (Factory Pro) wants $1200 to dyno the bike and burn a custom chip. This seems a little pricey to me, but maybe it is standard for the course as I have never had to do this before.

I found a new SP5 chip on ebay for $55 and ordered it, as it seemed an inexpensive possible route to go:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Ducati-...e1bb90&vxp=mtr

I figured that I would fix the fuel system. Check what fuel pressure the bike is running. Do a complete service on the bike (belts, valve clearances, valve timing check, fluids, plugs, filters) and ride the bike to see how it runs before making any changes.

What do you think that I should do? If it were possible to have a P8 chip burned with P7 SP3 programming, then it would be wrong for the green injectors (as from my research the SP3 originally came with red injectors). I guess that I will run it on the dyno and compare the FBF SPO chip and the SP5 chip (if it works in the 916 IAW435 P8 ECU) to see if one is better than the other.

Also since the throttle bodies have no air bleeds will I run into tuning issues there? I have found a set of SP5 throttle bodies with green side feed injectors and air bleeds. I suppose I could get those and possibly convert the whole top end to SP5 spec (cams, valve timing and maybe even larger valves?)

I just want a bike that runs well at low end with no holes or bad transitions throughout the rev range and pulls like an SP should on top.

Help! What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Brian Brown
    Attached Images

possibly some help: http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com.a...dont-know.html

put the sp5 eprom in it and get it mapped. the sp eproms have a lot more spark advance than the strada cam eproms, so you'd be better starting with one of them. they can use a lot more advance at idle too, to make them nicer.

the sp5 throttle bodies would be a good idea, but not essential. air bleeds are nice. the injectors flow much the same. the g inlet cam does help the top end.

the a cams are a nice retro touch, but it'd make as much or more power with 748 heads and strada cams.

i can't think of anyone other than factory pro in la. doug lofgren does a lot of it, he's in minneapolis.
    Last edited by brad black; 01-26-2015 at 05:08 AM.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

I rebuilt my "strada" engine in SP3/4 configuration.
    It runs with A/A cams and 33/29 valves, and dual injector from 996 (same as SP5).
    I use SP5 chips in my P8.
    As It runs with open airbox and a corsa tangential 45-50 termi, I try the 040B and I bought a special chip for SP5 with open airbox and tangential exhaust (and normally a rev limiter at 11000 rpm) found in germany.
    I prefer this special chip with which I found a little more torque at low/middle rev.
    It runs very well in this configuration.
    I just put the trigger to position "zero" and play a little with by pass of the injection body (in fact I'm in standard position).
    It could be probably better with a customized mapping, but more expensive and it runs well enough for me on my mountain roads.

Rest the impact of the air box on a 851 SP compare to the 888 SP5/strada ones which is a little bit different.

The SP5 chip just arrived in the mail today, brand new in the original box for only $55.

I figure that I will get the bike up and running, see how it rides with the SPO single injector chip that is in it right now. Then dyne the bike with the SPO chip and check the fueling and power, swap the SP5 chip in and recheck how the bike rides and dyno it again. If it is way off, then I will have it remapped.

I think that I will leave the A/A cams in it for now, as I am more of a midrange power guy and rarely rev the engine to the rpm where the SP5 has the power advantage. On Brad's comparison of the SP2,3,4,5 the SP3 had the best midrange power for some unknown reason.

Brad, are most tuners able to remap the existing chip, or do they need to burn a new chip starting with the information on the original?

the eprom is erasable by exposing it to uv light for 1/2 hour or so, and then reprogrammable. but you can't actually change the file on it. it's Electronically Programmable Read Only Memory. it's all old tech now.

i don't have a file labelled sp0, so i don't know if it's different to the euro one (expect it is), but the wot fuel # are not so dissimilar to the sp5 040 (can't compare directly quickly due to different rpm breaks), but they're both quite a bit leaner than my p7 sp2/3/4 green injector eprom. i don't expect either eprom will be much good, but the sp5 will at least have more midrange spark which should help rideabilty. the sp5 eprom does has an offset map, the 888 strada offset is all 80.

sp2/3/4 are the same engine.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Brad. Can you burn your P7 SP2/3/4 green injector eprom information onto a P8 eprom? If so, I would like to get one to see how it works on my bike. I did not see this chip listed on your website, so I figured that you did not have one.

Thanks,
    Brian

why not just run it in the p7?
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

I don't have a P7 ECU. The bike came with a P8 ECU. I suppose I could buy a P7 ECU, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction if I ever want to get it mapped. Do you only have SP2/3/4 EPROMs for P7 ECU's?

+ Reply to Thread