+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: does a 1198 go into an 851................Yes

Default does a 1198 go into an 851................Yes

After the 1036 Testerstretta project I needed something else to keep me amused. I bought an old race bike from John Bakker in the NL that he already campaigned for 3 seasons with a 1098 engine it it. As part of the deal he put in a fresh 1198 engine. It was a runner but IT needs finishing. I want to do the same as I did with the other project and put it on the street. Basically apart from the instruments being 1198 I want the rest to be as close to 888 race as you can have on the street. It is early days but I am stripping her down for a make over. I will try and post more photos as I go along. First job to get the white period Dymags to fit to compliment the white frame. And an airbox instead of the modified plastic bucket from the 1198 engine. Why have lovely , huge oval bellmouths on a massive injection system (63,9mm equivalent) if you can,t flip the tank and see them ?????.

Very cool! What swingarm? I see that extra bracketry has been added to the frame in the swingarm area.

Yes an extra tube for the swinging arm pickup as the bearings are in the swinging arm. A big boss was welded on the front and machined out to take the bearings. Some mods were made on some cross members to fit in the injection system.............the rest is stock.
    Last edited by dudlington; 01-20-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Cool, Thanks, keep the pics coming! Was the top cross brace removed or is it an 888 frame painted white?

1198 radiator?

How are you going to make the airbox?

Exhaust?
    Last edited by marvin; 01-20-2015 at 02:25 PM.

It is a genuine 851 frame with the cross brace removed leaving loads of space for an airbox. As you can see I mocked up in cardboard based on the one from my project 1036 , however the positions of the trumpets are different but in principle the same can be done. The loop of plastic you see over the injector will be removed and a plastic bracket attached on top of the bell mouth connecting each other (Just like a 999). I will make with 1.5mm sheet plastic and then see if I feel like making it from Carbon.

Exhaust is already made albeit with modern monster Carbon silencers so I have removed those (As one was damaged) and have a set of tri ovals being made , the same as the 1036.

Another shot of the whole engine thing

Thanks!!

Finally some one is going to do it, Excelent !

Please share pictures and painfull discoveries along the way.. :-)

So this is where the bike has ended up. I was offered it a while ago and considered buying it. Still must have photos from how the rebuilt was in progress then (about 7 months ago).

Enjoy the project...this is a monster 119888..keep us posted.

Default Monster 119888

Yes I could not resist this one with the 1198 engine. It sits nicely next to my 1038 Testersteretta 888 SP4 . Just thought I would post some photos of the newly finished airbox. It is now sealed and is waiting for the larger fuel injection unit (Equivalent to 63.9mm) to arrive so I can fit to the bike. Basically it is 1.5mm sheet plastic (So it forms a little) pop riveted together (more than 100) on top of the original base unit. If you slice the airbox leaving about 10mm of the top section you have something to fix onto. All I need to do now is to get some fuel injector brackets made to hold the injectors over the bellmouths in the correct position. I have a friend with CAD so I will try and get some 3D printed parts made............it will look cool when you tilt open the tank.

Default airbox

That looks great. Sheet plastic is a good idea! I made mine out of sheet aluminum TIG welded, a big PITA !

+ Reply to Thread