+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Auction 851 Racer

Default Las Vegas Auction 851 Racer

Rumor has it that the "1989 851 Factory Racer" was sold at the Mecum Las Vegas Auction yesterday, and is going to a very good home. Hope that's true.
    Bill

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm...=LV0115-200998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba5Z_XzOuLc

What a bike, what a beauty !!!
    Congratulations to the new owner who becomes from now, a guard of the early 851/888 history ...
    A thought to the seller, capable to let her go in other hands ...

Phil911 ... admiring !!!

Default Early 851 Racer

A very well-informed and well known forum member no less.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott 888 View Post
    A very well-informed and well known forum member no less.

Scott

---

that was local to my Ducati shop. From what I was told it was the real REAL deal. Had Eraldo's hand written notes on the ECU and a fair amount of race history to go with it. $30k sale price. I am sure someone got exactly what they wanted and had been looking for the bike for quite some time. There are only a few of those with that kind of race history. That is just 10 kinds of cool to have one of those in your possession. Congrats to the new owner.

This (very nice) bike was sold 5 years ago here
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18346/lot/161/

Should it be this one ?
    Attached Images

Thanks-- I may as well spill the beans. I am the very very lucky new owner.

I am very surprised Gary gave it up. I should have it in my garage in 2-3 weeks. At this point Mecums and the shipping company have not put eyes on the important 3-ring binder that contains all of the history. I have to keep my fingers crossed that someone will find it.

Yesterday one our members (Thank you Massimo- paid gold for them) turned me on to an original set of factory mufflers in Italy so I will have the Ferracci made ones as well as the original style that came with it from the factory.

I am fully pumped about owning this early example. Now I have all three variations of the factory bikes starting from '89 ('89,'91,'93) The Lucchinelli reps are great but for me this bike is the top of the heap. The ID plate is DM001 so it was one of the rider's #1 bike. The serial number that should be on the motor is 000031. I am not sure if that case is still on the bike- will be hard to believe if it is. It currently has a black case motor which may be too early for the bike if I am I am luck and it is a Corse case. The unpainted aluminum cases show up on pictures in late '89 and in all early and late style '90 bikes. Mecum guy said he saw 779- but that could make it a late black street motor case - I am not sure he knew where to look even though I told him the location. The front head is not milled like every Factory motor I have seen. The heads do have cut down cam bearing holders and center plated, along with alloy pulleys. The history is murky and Mr. Ferracci was not alway pure when he sold his old race bikes.

So this motor could be the real deal- or not. Will have to put my hands on it to be sure.

It seems to have been cleaned up since the 2010 auction-- the dent in the tank as well as the paint bubbles around the gas cap are gone from the single picture on the Mecum website. The right fairing does not seem to be scraped down to the carbon like the last pictures shown at Bonhams. The clutch and brake lever seems to be still scratched up- race patina.

BurnR8-- I wonder if you could jump in and tell me what you saw when you last looked her over. I bid by phone so I have not idea except my bid phone helper said--"just looks like an old race bike"

When I have the bike in my garage I will take many pictures and share them on the forum. I know that most of you have seen the many great period pictures many of our Corse lover members have put on this forum ---so I will keep the pictures to a minimum.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the 3-ring binder giving the history of this bike will be found so I can also share its contents with you.

Almost cannot sleep until it comes
    Last edited by MarkT; 01-12-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: To thank Massimo

Congratulations Mark, I was hoping it was you. Can't think of a better new home for it.
    Bill

Congratulations Mark

That is just so cool. A great bike to a great new home. Well Done!

+ Reply to Thread