+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What cases work for 851 build project?

Default What cases work for 851 build project?

I can buy a set of '96 900SS cases, and the seller claims these can be used to build an 851. I am skeptical, although at least the electrics are in the alternator cover.

Does anyone know if this is the true, that an air-cooled case could be used?

If anyone has a list of what cases could be used, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

They will work just fine.

loony888 Guest

yep, they are fine. the later the cases the better, and the 900SS 2 valve cases are the same as the 4 valve cases.

i bought a new set of '96 900 cases that i was going to use in a 851 based engine, bruce meyers told me to get '96, but not '94 - '95 from memory. but i never got around to it and then bought a late production ('02 or so) set of "888 corsa" cases. which i also haven't got around to using, unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses.

As an aside, I also have the option of using a pair of cases that are not a matched set. Everyting I've read said to only use matched sets of cases.

So if I were to use say one half from a '90 851 and one half from a '92 851, would I be asking for trouble? Wouldn't the alignment dowels ensure the bores of the crankshaft bearings line up in an acceptable manner?

Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

As an aside, I also have the option of using a pair of cases that are not a matched set. Everyting I've read said to only use matched sets of cases.

So if I were to use say one half from a '90 851 and one half from a '92 851, would I be asking for trouble? Wouldn't the alignment dowels ensure the bores of the crankshaft bearings line up in an acceptable manner?
    I personally would not use anything but a matched pair. Brad will have had lots more experience than I though so perhaps he will respond.

Crankcases are line bored as a pair, they also have the barrel mouths machined at the same time, you shouldn't mix and match odd cases!
    You might get lucky but I think you'd be asking for trouble.
    I've seen and worked on old classic motors where they'd been made up with odd halves and have seen steps in the case mouths of upto 1mm!
    But these were old motors where replacments are very hard to come by.
    As there's still quite a few pairs of cases around there really isn't any need to try using odd halves IMO.
    Earlier this year I managed to buy a brand new unused pair of ST4 cases, so replacements are still out there.

Steve R

loony888 Guest

yep, too many possibilities for woe there. used a matched pair only, you'll be blissfully ignorant of the grief you avoided.

paul.

Another dumb question about using air-cooled cases...

It hit me tonight "what drives the water pump if I use an air-cooled case?"

So I looked on the 750F1 parts manual and 851 parts manual. Both use a bearing (item 12), Ducati P/N 751102054.

http://www.bevelheaven.com/manuals/7.../scan0019a.htm
    http://www.bevelheaven.com/manuals/7...s/scan0020.htm

It sure looks like this is the output that drives the water pump (above and to the left of the crank if viewed from the left side of the bike).

So my question is this: does anyone know the function of this bearing on the 750F1? I looked through the part pictures, but couldn't determine what the bearing was used for.

Thanks again.

Belt pulley shaft?
    Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

+ Reply to Thread