+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corsa carbon upper fairing brackets

Default Corsa carbon upper fairing brackets

Im interested but puzzled about these and the fitment, I have
    a couple of sets of carbon bodywork and both are a bugger to fit nicely and wonder if I have missed a trick using standard looking alloy top brackets?

These are a completely different shape

Any thoughts of pictures appreciated

Thanks Guy851

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-851...item19f0dc67ed

Default Ducati 888 Top brackets

I made up a set from some Aluminium strip (20mm wide) fitted on top of the Carbon Air channel and tensioned to one of the fixings of the screen. Because of tension both sides it is incredibly strong for so little weight. I do not run with mirrors though.

You can see them in the attached photo.

Quote Originally Posted by guy851 View Post
    Im interested but puzzled about these and the fitment, I have
    a couple of sets of carbon bodywork and both are a bugger to fit nicely and wonder if I have missed a trick using standard looking alloy top brackets?

These are a completely different shape

Any thoughts of pictures appreciated

Thanks Guy851

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-851...item19f0dc67ed
    Guy-

The upper fairing side support brackets you are showing may or may not be exactly correct in terms of bend, length and end position of the Dzus receptacle. But even the factory brackets can be a pain to make work if you are using them to replace the stock U shaped aluminum fairing upper supports . The position/angle of the carbon X air intake/fairing support and how you hang the front of the side fairing affects where the holes in the side fairings end up. It can become even crazier if you are trying to use them in combo with the Strada front subframe.

I have fitted up at least 6 Corse's and many times I have had to switch the positions of the left and right upper fairing brackets and play around with the position of the aluminum support wings attached to the top of the X air intake. In short - it is indeed a pain to fit the Corse panels using all factory parts. In most cases I have found that the bodywork and brackets fit the earlier Corse's much better then the '93/'94 due to the position of the water hoses. Most will cut into the left side air intake vent panel so it does not press into the water hose. On the early 851 style setup the panel does not touch the water hose. Also the early '91-'93 style X intake fits lower then the '94 style which adds to the fun.

In short- if they are exact copies of the factory brackets then you have a chance to make them work- but it may not be easy.

The carbon Corse brackets locate to a different gusset on the frame than the "U" shaped alloy road type brackets.
    So although the advert on E-bay states they'll fit all 851/888's, this isn't the case unless the frames have the extra gusset seen on the early/Corse frames.

Steve R

I thought the ebay ones go as Mr.R says as a replacement for the side fixings.

See http://www.ducati851and888.com/showt...in-corsa/page2
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    The carbon Corse brackets locate to a different gusset on the frame than the "U" shaped alloy road type brackets.
    So although the advert on E-bay states they'll fit all 851/888's, this isn't the case unless the frames have the extra gusset seen on the early/Corse frames.

Steve R
    Steve-

Really? I am not sure what you mean that these brackets only fit Corse frames. The brackets bolt into the hole in the small triangular plate that is welded on all of the frames. The Corse and SP3 frames have the extra gusset located above this plate --both still have the small triangular plate.

Here is a picture of my SP2 stock frame and a picture of a later Corse frame. Notice where the carbon fiber faring support bracket is bolted.
    Attached Images

I'll assume that's balsa wood holding the battery up.
    celeresracing.blogspot looking-back-at-2016-classic-tt
    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by stafford View Post
    I'll assume that's balsa wood holding the battery up.
    Could not find balsa wood so I used a 2" hole saw and reduced the weight by half! It is a work of art in the Italian racing tradition.

Hi Mark,

In my post I said ...........the extra gusset seen on the early/Corse frames.*
    In hindsight I should have posted...on the early road and Corse frames.
    The '92 onwards road (Strada and SP) frames haven't got the extra triangular gussets that the carbon stay's mounted to in your pic'. So unless extra gussets are welded to the frame on these models those carbon brackets won't fit/bolt straight on.

* I wasn't sure which year those gussets were deleted so posted early, but now equipped with your knowledge/post it appears to be up to '91.
    Which obviously isn't all 851/888's as the advert states on E-bay.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Hi Mark,

In my post I said ...........the extra gusset seen on the early/Corse frames.*
    In hindsight I should have posted...on the early road and Corse frames.
    The '92 onwards road (Strada and SP) frames haven't got the extra triangular gussets that the carbon stay's mounted to in your pic'. So unless extra gussets are welded to the frame on these models those carbon brackets won't fit/bolt straight on.

* I wasn't sure which year those gussets were deleted so posted early, but now equipped with your knowledge/post it appears to be up to '91.
    Which obviously isn't all 851/888's as the advert states on E-bay.

Steve R
    Thanks Steve--- My bad. I did read it wrong.

+ Reply to Thread