Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AHRMA New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Hi Marvin,

Is it an S4R in your '92 851?

Steve R
    Hi Steve,

No, the S4R is a 996. I have a S4RS Testastretta in mine, deep sump 998 with the S cams

P.S. The '04 S4R is the droop head 996. The S4R in '06 was a Testastretta. In '07 it was called the S4RS.
    I just picked up a '06 S4R Testastretta and SSSwingarm. Will use the egine for a spare.
    Last edited by marvin; 03-16-2014 at 08:19 AM.

P.S.

Guys,

I forgot to list the underslug rear brake system (like on my bike)

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Hi Steve,

No, the S4R is a 996. I have a S4RS Testastretta in mine, deep sump 998 with the S cams

P.S. The '04 S4R is the droop head 996. The S4R in '06 was a Testastretta. In '07 it was called the S4RS.
    I just picked up a '06 S4R Testastretta and SSSwingarm. Will use the egine for a spare.
    Thanks for the reply Marvin,
    As we both know it's all good fun/very satisfying playing with these motors and then later riding them.
    I hope you're keeping well chap?
    I'm playing with my 851/916 today, it's lifted a head/gasket only when it's really hot/been caned hard, it isn't catastrophic (yet), just forcing coolant out into the overflow and not sucking it all back in again. But it was time for me to pull the heads, check them over, clean up the ports, seats/comb' chambers and fit new gaskets.
    The S/Steel dowels I fitted years ago are a Godsend, the heads just slide away without pulling the barrels away from the cases.
    If I had a £ for every top end I've had sent to me with the heads still bonded to the barrels, or the OEM steel dowels stuck in the heads (There's been a quite a few of them) I could buy a BIG round at the local pub...and booze ain't cheap in the pubs anymore.
    While I was playing I fitted a new chain as well, the DID ERV3 had shit the heads off the pins in several places, it was still in excellent condition apart from that it's only covered a few thousand miles FFS! A check on the web showed this to be a common problem with the ERV3 race chains.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Thanks for the reply Marvin,
    As we both know it's all good fun/very satisfying playing with these motors and then later riding them.
    I hope you're keeping well chap?
    I'm playing with my 851/916 today, it's lifted a head/gasket only when it's really hot/been caned hard, it isn't catastrophic (yet), just forcing coolant out into the overflow and not sucking it all back in again. But it was time for me to pull the heads, check them over, clean up the ports, seats/comb' chambers and fit new gaskets.
    The S/Steel dowels I fitted years ago are a Godsend, the heads just slide away without pulling the barrels away from the cases.
    If I had a £ for every top end I've had sent to me with the heads still bonded to the barrels, or the OEM steel dowels stuck in the heads (There's been a quite a few of them) I could buy a BIG round at the local pub...and booze ain't cheap in the pubs anymore.
    While I was playing I fitted a new chain as well, the DID ERV3 had shit the heads off the pins in several places, it was still in excellent condition apart from that it's only covered a few thousand miles FFS! A check on the web showed this to be a common problem with the ERV3 race chains.

Steve R
    Are those chains still good then? Or do you need to bin them?

I've binned them as there were several rivet heads gone AWOL on the run, not all of them together?
    Probably a great chain to fit for a race, but not up to general hard work on a tuned roadster.
    I think the pins are over hardened for road use? I'm actually pretty sure of that having witnessed the results, the chain itself looked to have plenty of life left in it, but as you'll know you don't want to run a chain without any riveted over pin ends.
    I put it down to just another blind ally I've tried but didn't work.
    I've now fitted the top bollox Superbike DID chain, it's a ZVM-X, on the upside it only weighs a few grams more per 100 links than the ERV3.

Steve R

Three Next Gen Ducatis at NOLA: my 888, Chris Boy's 851, and "Ducati Erv's" 888 making its maiden voyage to the track. Raining today for practice, but race day weather Saturday and Sunday look perfect.
    Mark Hatten
    www.woundedduc.net

Good luck to you all! Pictures and racereport afterthe weekend?
    /Jimmi

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

Have fun and good luck Mark. Yes, lots of pictures please.
    Bill

No real exciting photos, but here's a few: "Ducati Erv" and his 888; another shot of Erv's bike; two shots of Chris Boy's 851; Next Gen Superbike results. Yes, the Jamie James in first place is *the* Jamie James - AMA Superbike, Supersport, and Superstock champ. I'm usually not happy with second place, but in this case I'll take it. :-)
    Attached Images
    Mark Hatten
    www.woundedduc.net

The website results have you in first, and James as "DQ".
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread