+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New casings for 888 strada : 22730012a

Default New casings for 888 strada : 22730012a

Hi Chaps
    Planning a rebuild of a 888 strada engine (with chain damage on left side case :-( : new set of casings has been found...
    Some markings on the NON PAINTED cases makes me wonder the origin and history of these cases....

TOP part says : "TESI" which translates to "research or special" , why i wonder if these are some "night shift parts" or special test parts which has somehow survived (they apear to be brand new)

Also the bottom part has hand made markings "64" on both sides... (haven't seen this on mass production parts before ?)

Any one seen this any of this before ? ... Cases good to go for some serious work hours ... ? (I would hate to see weeks wasted, not to mention alu fragments in my legs :-0 )

Ciao
    Attached Images

the number is usual, all cases have halve # to denote machined pairs.

those don't have oil drillings to the base gasket level on the vertical. some more photos of them will denote what they're machined for. who knows why they're unpainted.

read into it what you will I guess.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

maybe from a Bimota Tesi.
    Bimota developed their own race engines but I think these cases might be too late for any of that stuff.
    I will show this thread to a friend of mine who has been researching his racing Tesi to see if he has any thoughts.
    all the best
    Ian
    1988 851 tricolore strada, 1981 Mike Hailwood Replica, 1996 Bimota DB2 tricolore, 1988 Bimota YB4e.i, 1968 Gitan Grillo sport, 1992 Yamaha GTS1000, 2006 Honda Deauville, 1990 Honda GB500 Clubman
    http://thecrankcase.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 851 tricolore View Post
    maybe from a Bimota Tesi.
    Bimota developed their own race engines but I think these cases might be too late for any of that stuff.
    I will show this thread to a friend of mine who has been researching his racing Tesi to see if he has any thoughts.
    all the best
    Ian
    Hello down under...
    Thanks, sorry for my ignorence here... but can you elaborate on the oil channel comment.. is this serving the main bearings or oil feed for something else... can i / should i make thise prior to the case swap..

Hi Ian...
    hmm, could be Bimota NOS left overs ... never thought about the Bimota connection .. Thansk for giving your thoughts here ...

BR STIG

Ian (851 Tricolore) sent me a copy of this forum thread, so I thought I would register and try to help.
    For information, "Tesi" is Italian for "thesis", not "research or special". The origins of the Bimota Tesi are the university graduation thesis of Pierluigi Marconi, the ideas of which were adopted by Bimota.
    Anyway, to the crankcases........
    Bimota used stock Ducati motors for the first (1D) Tesi - originally 851's, then 904's. They did, however, develop their own 851/888-based engine for a couple of factory race bikes. These bikes had specially-cast barrels which took the capacity to 964cc - my ex-factory race Tesi is such a bike, but sadly missing it's original motor. If you can get the measurements of the crankcase openings for the barrels, this will identify if they are standard road or special race crankcases - the 964 race barrels had a bigger bore which necessitated machining of the crankcases.The race barrels are no longer available, so beware!
    Hope this helps

Garry.
    Last edited by tesiguy; 02-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tesiguy View Post
    Ian (851 Tricolore) sent me a copy of this forum thread, so I thought I would register and try to help.
    For information, "Tesi" is Italian for "thesis", not "research or special". The origins of the Bimota Tesi are the university graduation thesis of Pierluigi Marconi, the ideas of which were adopted by Bimota.
    Anyway, to the crankcases........
    Bimota used stock Ducati motors for the first (1D) Tesi - originally 851's, then 904's. They did, however, develop their own 851/888-based engine for a couple of factory race bikes. These bikes had specially-cast barrels which took the capacity to 964cc - my ex-factory race Tesi is such a bike, but sadly missing it's original motor. If you can get the measurements of the crankcase openings for the barrels, this will identify if they are standard road or special race crankcases - the 964 race barrels had a bigger bore which necessitated machining of the crankcases.The race barrels are no longer available, so beware!
    Hope this helps

Garry.
    Hi Garry
    Thanks for responce and welcome the forum, The "thesis" sounds plausable !, Ill meassure the bore when im back in DK next time, unfortunately not before mid March. Hope they will take the 888 barrels or even better some bigger DUC stock ones... If Special Bimota barrels ill send them streight to the scrap yard... (Ill send you a mail in case they turn out Bimota special in case you are interested ?)
    Cheers
    Stig

thanks Stig !
    would be nice to have a set of race crankcases, even though I don't have the barrels to go with them. Thats why my Tesi now runs a 996-based motor.

regards

Garry.

Now I've done a little bit of studying on how to improve the power of the 851/888 motors and this is what I know/found out...
    The biggest bore that can be safely used is 96mm which would give 926cc with a 64mm stroke 851/888 crank, 955cc with a 66mm stroke 916 crank or 984cc with a 68mm stroke 900SS or 906 Paso crank.
    The 96mm bore barrels from a 916SP 955SPA or pukka 955cc 916 Corse need the cases to be bored out to 102mm, or 101.05 mm with the sleeve of the lower barrels turned down to 101mm to suit*.

Any bigger bore would need the cases and barrels to be interpolated around the studs, to leave enough meat in them to avoid the top end ripping itself away from the bottom end of the motor.
    It's for this reason that the later 996cc Desmoquatro motors had the studs moved outwards.

So here's my question what bore and stroke did the Bimota factory Tesi motors have?

*This gives/leaves a bit more strength to the crankcases, as most of the motors fitted with the 96mm barrels cracked the crankcases eventually if used to the max.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    those don't have oil drillings to the base gasket level on the vertical.
    I agree with Brad-- first thing I noticed -- to me that points to cases for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    So here's my question what bore and stroke did the Bimota factory Tesi motors have?
    Steve R
    In answer to your question Steve, the factory race Tesi's engine dimensions were 95mm x 68mm, giving a capacity of 963.99cc.
    With Matt Casey fettling the injection and electronics, my bike was reputed to kick out 140bhp - more than the factory Ducati racers of the time, I believe.
    Shame the Tesi chassis couldn't handle it..................

+ Reply to Thread