+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 851 SP3 replica project.

It was my first crash on the SP2 way way way back when that started me down the road to making it a Corse for the street. Of course now it is worth more stock so I am returning it back to stock. Are you putting it back to stock?

Red face

2+1/2 years ago I had a woman driver pull across the front of me on my '92 851/916, causing me to slam broadside into her car and then bounce off, spin round and luckily the bike went down on the same side that had hit the car, however it then slid arse 1st into the concrete kerb buckling the rear wheel and shattering the DP carbon rear hugger.
    The insurance company wrote it off*, it wasn't damaged quite as bad as yours, but the list of damaged parts ran to 4 pages of a journalists ring bound note pad ££££'s.
    Of which only 4 of the parts needed were still available from Ducati, but with my stash of spares, repairing a few of the bent parts and the forum members on here who helped with other rare parts I was riding it again within a couple of weeks, albeit without the carbon Corse fairing and with a slightly buckled rear wheel.
    I later repaired the fairing and mates re-spayed it for me FOC, the bike looks better than before the accident now.
    So now's your chance to either turn it onto whatever you want or return it to standard.

*The insurance company paid me out only £250 less than I'd bought it for 12+1/2 years earlier and I bought the wreck back for around £1,100, after all of the repairs I ended up a few £K in pocket.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Remquo View Post
    Noooo!!! That's my old bike, isn't it? Shame you put it down, but it's wel worth repairing/ restoring.
    Unfortunately it is!

It's a real shame as the bike run perfectly and was a real thrill to ride. It's true that I bought this bike to make me the "special" I'm starting now, but I should have had the chance to enjoy her some more months before a total strip&rebuild.

I had just previously crashed once, 12 years earlier so, it was really bad luck!

Anyway in the last year I've been buying correct period parts for my "special":

Repair parts.
    Alu subframe.
    ÷hlins shock & fork.
    Carbon parts.

and the best of it, a 996 ST4S with a set of T1 camshafts.

I think it will take me some months to get her a superb beauty again but I'm quite sure I'll get it with all your help and advice, guys!!!!!

Stripping so far...

I went through a round about and put pretty major flat spots in the rims. I got them rolled so I could ride it until I found wheels. I changed the front first. One of the things out impacting the rear wheel was the where the wheel bearing sits in the wheel casting. The impact distorted it. I didn't notice at first, but 5000km later the back started to vibrate. When I pulled of the wheel the bearing on the disk side had flogged out the hole.
    Just some thing extra to check. Lucky you didn't crack the rear case engine mounts. They don't surly like rear impacts. Good luck with the rebuild.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Good tip, I'll check it!!!

The bike starts perfectly and didn't lose a single drop of oil, fuel or coolant but final inspection of damage will only be completed when totally stripped.

Thnak you for all your comments!

First stage completed!

And here's the frame. This week I'll take it to the powder coater guy to have his instructions about how to prepare the frame for him. The ÷hlins fork sleeves have allready been sent to the anodizer...

I'm happy to check that replacing the original electric system with a monster S4R is quite a good idea... Not only more reliable and capable with the 996 3-phase alternator from the ST4s engine, but also a tad lighter... No more hevay and bulky coils and the replacement of the P7 ECU and related power amplifiers for a light and tiny 5A unit.

Looks like the process is moving along nicely... when you get it all back form the coaters and start the rebuild there are few better feelings in biking for me. Almost as much pleasure as riding them.
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Before taking the frame to the coater I've done three little thing on it to send it ready for painting.

First, I have removed the aluminum caracteristics plate from the front of the frame. So I avoid it being painted and lots of later explanations to the MOT guys...

Second, I find the helmet lock holding plate REALLY ugly and therefore, I've decided to cut it off to get a cleaner look for my bike.

This is the plate, you know it.

first step with an angle grinder, some patience and a couple of files...

...and the final touch with different grain emery papers.

Then I took the frame to a friend's engineering workshop to get the engine bolt mounting holes re-bored (And rethreaded to 12 mm)

It's a floating chuck pillar drill, so good centering and no drama! The opposite side was threaded with the same machine and the result was perfect.

And so, now the frame is at the coater's...

And now the engine department starts its part of the work...

This is a 996 ST4s engine. I've had a look inside to see how cilynders, pistons and heads were. Cylinders, pistons and segments perfect and have just had soot removed. Heads needed valve guide replacement but after doing so and a complete overhaul they're like new but... Finally I've decided to swap them for 996 heads (not drop) to fit SPS camshafts and get the best from the engine without reporting exhaust duct.

One head at home form Germany and the other one on its way from Italy.

+ Reply to Thread