+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 851 SP3 replica project.

Default 851 SP3 replica project.

Almost a couple of years ago, I bought form a fellow forum member a very clean and very reasonably priced ’91 851 Strada. As my idea was to make a nice toy from it, I didn’t really matter if the bike had some problems. So I paid the bike and after some days she showed up from a truck at an industrial area near home.

My bike just arrived, on the trailer ready to go home.

The first step was to make the bike street legal in Spain which was far more difficult than expected due to new regulations in the matter. Is this EU? So it was just at the beginning of may that I could ride the bike for the first time.

But she’s finally street legal!!

As finally the bike was in very good conditions and stunningly fun to ride (A friend on his 1098 tricolore admitted that he couldn’t believe his eyes!) I decided to have some fun during summer before starting my winter project (That’s what summer is for!)
    But unfortunately on the 30th of june 2012, on my way to the Spanish WSBK round I crashed the bike in a decreasing radius right hand turn. A slide which ended with me (completely unharmed) in a concrete kerb and the bike at the top of the roadside…
    As we bikers are really hard guys, after towing the bike back home, I swapped my tank bag on my MTS1000 and got on my way to Alcañiz.

Left side is in quite good contition…

...but the right one...

Fortunately, as the bike crossed the road sliding on its side, it turned in such a way that it hit the roadside first with the rear wheel and climbed some 4 m high. So, the front (and more expensive) part got away quite well as the front subframe absorbed the worst part of the impact.

Amazing, no broken fork, instruments or even headlight as it was the rear wheel that hit first!

The most important damages were sustained by the rear of the bike, as the swing arm got bent.

Although not really evident on this picture, the swingarm is bent rightwards... :\

After a one year pause that I’ve spent abroad due to my occupation, I’ve got the bike into the garage to start my project. My aim is to fit a 996 ST4s engine with 996 heads and T1 camshafts to a make a powerful and reliable 851 SP3 réplica.
    In the meantime I've been surfing the internet (ebay,of course this forum and some other places) to get all the repair and 'bling-bling' parts for my toy.

So, now the big question is…

How will this end?

To be continued...
    Last edited by BARONROJO; 01-16-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Sounds like you were really unlucky; it happens to the best of us.
    I'm sure you will get the bike back together better than before.
    Good luck with the rebuild and keep us updated.
    Ian
    1988 851 tricolore strada, 1981 Mike Hailwood Replica, 1996 Bimota DB2 tricolore, 1988 Bimota YB4e.i, 1968 Gitan Grillo sport, 1992 Yamaha GTS1000, 2006 Honda Deauville, 1990 Honda GB500 Clubman
    http://thecrankcase.com/

Thanx for your comment... To tell you the truth I think I was really lucky! I still remember that my first thought when I hit the tarmac was "Fuck, I've crashed the 851" but then, while I was crossing the opposite lane on my back I was just watching the sign post I was heading towards. It's incredible how long these 3 seconds were: in that moment my thought changed to:

"Fuck, my ribs are heading straight to that post!"

"But it seems that I'm slowering enough not to get baldy injured. Just a couple of broken ribs..."

And when I was reaching the edge of the tarmac I saw the concrete roadside. Then I though:

"This is my lucky day, I'm NOT going to hit the sign post"

And then just a hard stop on my hip and my head. I got away even without a single bruise and time enough to get back home and restart the trip on my MTS. Thank you to Dainese leathers and Shark helmets!!!

How will this end?

---> .... In my garage, of course !!!!!!

Phil911

Wellllllllll? you can't put this out there as a teaser and not give us updates!

Work in progress, I've just started dissasembling the poor thing! I'll start powder coating the frame and from there, the rest of the rebuild!

Un lucky chap, but best wish's with rebuild. I will be keeping an eye out for this.
    Last edited by RWG; 01-17-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Noooo!!! That's my old bike, isn't it? Shame you put it down, but it's wel worth repairing/ restoring.

Quote Originally Posted by BARONROJO View Post
    And then just a hard stop on my hip and my head. I got away even without a single bruise and time enough to get back home and restart the trip on my MTS. Thank you to Dainese leathers and Shark helmets!!!
    Ah Dainese !

A few years ago the company I was working for bought me a tailor made set of Dainese leathers and full riding gear, except a helmet.
    When I crashed one of the test bikes at the Nurburgring- everything was smashed, except my helmet of course- not a scratch : )
    They didn't care about the costs, but I wanted to get the suit repaired and was happy to pay myself, so I took it to the shop.
    It was sent back to Italy and repaired, for FREE !

If you didn't already ask, it's worth a try. I don't know if they still do repairs for free, but it was their policy then.
    Good luck with the rest.
    Ian
    1988 851 tricolore strada, 1981 Mike Hailwood Replica, 1996 Bimota DB2 tricolore, 1988 Bimota YB4e.i, 1968 Gitan Grillo sport, 1992 Yamaha GTS1000, 2006 Honda Deauville, 1990 Honda GB500 Clubman
    http://thecrankcase.com/

Hi Baron

Good luck with the rebuild, Iam sure most of us have been there and done that.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread