+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 888 Racebike Project - Race Results and Video

Default 888 Racebike Project - Race Results and Video

Here's an update on my 888 racebike project build for AHRMA's new NextGen Superbike Class. It's maiden outing was at NOLA in New Orleans, followed the next weekend with a race in Alabama. Won all four of those (AHRMA events are Sat/Sun races, with the same schedule each day), although the grids were thin to non-existant.

We just returned from an 11-day racing road trip/vacation that saw us racing with AHRMA at Road America in Wisconsin June 8-9, and Grattan in Michigan June 15-16. I was really looking forward to this trip as Road America is the most "European" track in the U.S., and Grattan is a fun, challenging layout.

Road America: Won on Saturday against a Muzzy-built ZX7RR and an ex-AMA HRC-kitted RC30 in a really fun race. Both bikes had motor on me, but the RC30 was exceptionally quick. My bike is currently at 113 hp, and the HRC-kitted customer bikes were reportedly in the 130 hp range. The fact that the rider is 5'7" 150 lbs. didn't hurt, either.

Here's an on-bike video from the RC30 (I'm in the neon yellow/blue leathers on the 888, naturally):

http://vimeo.com/68081161

Finished second to the RC30 on Sunday. I led the first half of the race, but he blitzed by me on the front straight and all I could do is try to make up the distance he put on me on each straight by braking later. Unfortunately, he figured out his slow spots from Saturday and didn't leave me any openings on Sunday.

Only two bikes on the NextGen grid the next weekend at Grattan (the ZX7RR from Road America). I often run in Battle of the Twins F1 against the modern bikes for more track time, and unfortunately on Saturday my clutch started to slip in that race. There wasn't time between races to change it, so rather than risk not making the the grid, I rode around for one lap to secure second-place points.

New plates had me back in action on Sunday, and this time a GSXR750 joined the grid to make three bikes in our class. Heavy rain on Saturday night left several corners on the track with water running across it, so racing was a bit dicey, but I followed the GSXR around to see how hard he wanted to push it, then passed him on the last lap.

The next AHRMA race is August 2-4 at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ, so you east coast guys should plan to attend. Better yet, bring out those racebikes!
    Mark Hatten
    www.woundedduc.net

Yeah baby - that was fun! Thanks Mark.
    Bill

You gonna have your beast ready for NJMP?
    Mark Hatten
    www.woundedduc.net

Cheers Mark, that cheered me up no end. Now where is that race license?
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
    You gonna have your beast ready for NJMP?
    Not a chance. I had to put the 851 aside and concentrate on the F1B based bike. My new must finish date is the Oct. LRRS round, which is going to have an Adamo celebration. Old Adamo bikes are coming from all over, as well as Leoni, so it HAS to be ready for that. I am hoping to combine a long over due visit to my sister in Philly and a spectating day at NJMP. You're going, right?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Not a chance. I had to put the 851 aside and concentrate on the F1B based bike. My new must finish date is the Oct. LRRS round, which is going to have an Adamo celebration. Old Adamo bikes are coming from all over, as well as Leoni, so it HAS to be ready for that. I am hoping to combine a long over due visit to my sister in Philly and a spectating day at NJMP. You're going, right?
    Bill
    Where are the details on the Adamo celebration!?? Man my head's been in the sand.

Had so much fun riding mine at a track day that the thoughts of racing her are hard to ignore...

BTWs, great job Hatman and thanks for the video. So cool.

Hey Scottie:

You can take AHRMA's race school on Friday, then race on Saturday and Sunday. Or, if you have a current license from another race organization, then you're good to go. Bring that 851 out -- we'd love to have another bike on the NextGen Superbike grid!
    Mark Hatten
    www.woundedduc.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
    Hey Scottie:

You can take AHRMA's race school on Friday, then race on Saturday and Sunday. Or, if you have a current license from another race organization, then you're good to go. Bring that 851 out -- we'd love to have another bike on the NextGen Superbike grid!
    I'm a current LRRS racer... although my NC30 spun a bearing during practice before it's debut race weekend Going to be tough to get the 851 sorted with that and buying a house, but hopefully I'll have some time in August.

Quote Originally Posted by wgsvintage View Post
    Bill

Bill-

Perhaps you will find this tank interesting-- it is the last Adamo piece I have left- The picture does not capture the bright- almost florescent- bright red/orange he used on this tank. There were many of his bike parts floating around in the late 90's- mostly his crashed bodywork.

Personally I prefer the spatter paint version of one of his 851's-arty but not over the top.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread