+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stafford Show - Bonhams - 851 Kit

Default Stafford Show - Bonhams - 851 Kit

Am going, you never know

Doesn't this one look a bit odd? It has non-standard marchesini wheels not Marvics, standard 851 clocks not the kit dash, rear disc is wrong and looks dangerously perforated, the fairing has indicator holes where the kit didn't have indicators, it appears to have an ohlins rear shock when it should be a Marzocchi, rear hugger is white not black (maybe just paint?).....and the last I heard, KIT 207 was the last one assembled and taken straight into Ducati's museum?

So is it a bodged 851 KIT or is it a KIT lookalike 851 tricolore? It doesn't look like a good example to me!

Default Superbike kit?

I noticed a few of these items the other day when I was looking at Bonhams online catalogue but did not have the guts to post it.

On another note there are a few 916 Senna"s in the same sale, makes you wonder if they will put a hole in the market or someone may get a bargain.

Scott

I know absolutely nothing about KIT's - but I know a lot more now - thanks .

I've had a couple of good exchanges with Bonhams on this bike, they are really very attentive and I have to say not having bought or sold through them (yet), they seem to operate with really high integrity which is great.

The information they came back with is:
    "The 851 came from an auction in Japan, and originally it was sold by a dealer in Hong Kong in 1988. The engine number is different, it should be 850716
    The kit was produced just for racing use. It was produced in 153 exemplars to being homologate for the brand new World Superbike Championship, that was inaugurated in 1988.

I have asked the vendor to take a photo of the engine number and as soon as we are in receipt, will forward all the images to Ducati for a final verdict.

Where possible Bonhams endeavour to verify a machine’s frame and engine number (the frame carrying a machines identity unless the engine, as in the case of Velocette). I cannot comment as to the originality/authenticity of the machines individual components sadly. It is not uncommon for components to be updated/changed over the life of a machine therefore it is very much the responsibility of the bidder to satisfy themselves as to the completeness/integrity of a lot prior to bidding, as detailed in our Guide for Buyers. The machine has been displayed/stored within the vendors collection since acquisition from auction (in Japan) and clearly requires an element of recomissioning/restoration before returning to the track/road.

As soon as Ducati have offered their thoughts we will place a suitable Sale Room Notice on the machine (appearing on the online catalogue, in print affixed to the machine at the sale and announced by the Auctioneer prior to the lot being offered)."

The head stamping turned out to be a "M FT" which to my mind makes the engine a 1990/1 strada but there is very little head stamp info freely available so interested if anyone knows for sure. It isn't however an "A" stamp you'd expect with a KIT engine, with or without the additional C or D. The frame number is ZDM851S*850207 and the engine number should be 850716. The frame number fits in both the kit and strada ranges.

Be really interesting to see what anyone else thinks about this but with all the evidence in front of me I'd say this is a tricolore or even a dressed up strada, NOT a KIT. Thoughts?

Well if it looks like a dog, barks like a dog and smells like a dog chances are ... its a ....dog. sad but true.
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Quote Originally Posted by scott 888 View Post
    I noticed a few of these items the other day when I was looking at Bonhams online catalogue but did not have the guts to post it.

On another note there are a few 916 Senna"s in the same sale, makes you wonder if they will put a hole in the market or someone may get a bargain.

Scott
    Yeah no less than six Sennas. My mate tony is made up. Hes been after one for months. I think we might take a trip up there. there are some serious bikes up for auction. got my eye on a red special Vincent 1000 ....estimate £ 55000- £70000... Nahhh... just kidding...Check out the auction.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    Well if it looks like a dog, barks like a dog and smells like a dog chances are ... its a ....dog. sad but true.
    Wooff Wofff...Yep its a dog...!
    Pat

Well, I got in touch with bonhams and told them what I thought their bike was, a tricolore strada at best with some not so goodie aftermarket upgrades and a 1991/2 standard motor. Massive credit to them they were extremely polite and explained how they ask the owners for proof of provenance etc. In this case they went back to the owner and got more photos which they shared with me and also went to the factory to get their opinion. The result - yes it's a tricolore with a later engine in it for sure and some aftermarket changes from standard. Bonhams have added all the information to the listing to advise buyers and suggest they do further checks if they are interested in buying. As a thank you for sticking my nose in, they kindly sent me a sale catalogue for Stafford this weekend. Not only is this a lovely glossy full colour book of the auction lots, it saves me £20+ on entry to the sale room this weekend! So looking at the way they have dealt with this, I have to say not only is Bonhams customer service excellent, they clearly operate with an extremely high level of integrity. In this day and age, good for them I say!

+ Reply to Thread