+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intro

Hi Marvin, I built my own. A small block, chose a face. make a hole big enough to to take the shim and the top of the valve. From that face make a slot so that the valve stem fits inside. So now you have a cavity with a slot at the bottom which created a fork for the bottom of the shim to sit on. At the top drill and tap a 5mm hole and stick in a cap screw, this will push down on the valve stem head. Make the block the size of a spanner so you can tighten the cap screw.
    So you place your collet, fit the mini press in, hold with spanner and tighten cap screw. Works a treat. You can feel the collet engage as you tighten. Sort of firm, firm, firm, loose, loose,firm, tight, type of thing as your turning.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

The valve holding tools that I designed will not work on the Desmoquattro motors. The 6 mm tool works on the "R" bikes and 7 mm tool is designed for all Testestretta motors, 999, 1098, 1198, etc.

Mike

Hi Mike!! Great to see you here, how have you been?!?

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Hi Marvin, I built my own. A small block, chose a face. make a hole big enough to to take the shim and the top of the valve. From that face make a slot so that the valve stem fits inside. So now you have a cavity with a slot at the bottom which created a fork for the bottom of the shim to sit on. At the top drill and tap a 5mm hole and stick in a cap screw, this will push down on the valve stem head. Make the block the size of a spanner so you can tighten the cap screw.
    So you place your collet, fit the mini press in, hold with spanner and tighten cap screw. Works a treat. You can feel the collet engage as you tighten. Sort of firm, firm, firm, loose, loose,firm, tight, type of thing as your turning.
    Update,

I finally got around to re-setting the valves on my 851/Testa. One of the MBP collets was hanging up and I couldn't seat it. Mike sent us (Myself and MotoCD) one of his small "presses". It worked great but you have to pull the side plates off of a Testa to remove the rockers so it will fit. A royal PITA because some of the Testa's had the molded O-ring grooves milled too deep so the usually leak when you re-assemble. (the fix for that is to put Ducati-Bond in the groove first, let it sit for about an hour, then put it together).

I just ordered two sets of the new MBP collets for customers bikes but it will probably be the last time. I have them in all of my bikes and they are wonderful but in a customers bike there is no incentive to do so. Mike gives no discount to the trade so you can't make any money on the purchase and then you are out because the valves don't need setting so no money later for service work from the customer !

Red face

Yes that's pretty much on the service money side of things with the collets. But the newer bikes don't need generally seem to need many changes anyway. 1-2 shims at 24000km if your unlucky. On top of that we set the gaps to 0.15mm and it seems to have reduced the hammering the collets get. However if your racing its pretty much a nessesity. My mate who flogs his 916 at the track has to change at least one broken collet at the end of each day. He spends a lot of time around the 9-11000 rpm.
    The main seems to be the intake cams. If you set them as the manuall suggests, there is not enough space for the head to heat up and expand with the cooler valve. So we go to the larger 748 clearances. When you see the Ducati clearances across the years like you do with the wall charts we have. It becomes pretty obvious the larger clearance's are the go. With the MBP collets you can go tight and you know it will stay there.
    Yes if you blow the tapper cover fit the spark plug hole fills up with oil. We use a light smear of 515. In fact that's all we use now. It gives you more time, and if you have to go back in because of what ever reason, generally you just lightly wipe the re apply. No where near as messy either.
    Last edited by griff851; 08-06-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

+ Reply to Thread