+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dig deep - 888 Corse

Hi mark,
    I haven't heard of Gibbs?
    I've been using green Zinc Chromemate on the outsides, I've just repainted the Alternator cover but I used some "Sand/Baby Shit Yellow" paint that I got from Jasper over the top of it, just to give it the correct colour.
    Jasper sourced a paint supplier that mixed this paint for him, it's the closest match I've ever seen to my old eyes, he can supply it in "Rattle Cans" for a very reasonable cost...
    I'm extremely happy with the colour/finish.

P.S. I hope you're OK Mark, it's a loooong time since we conversed.

I've just put a "Sniper" bid on a 916SP motor, just to get my hands on the crank and top end inc' the SP barrels, that can be taken out to 96mm without weaken them.
    I'd probably sell on the Pankle steel H section rods, gear cluster and c/cases etc, I've got far better kit than that tucked away.
    It could save me some cash building my 955 or 984 motor, if I win it I can sell off some of my stash of spares to off set the cost of this motor.

If I win this motor, fingers crossed here...
    I'm going to take these heads out to 36 or 37/31mm valves, the barrels I'll get taken out to 96mm and add them to my stash and the crank I'll get balanced to whatever spec I decide on for the bigger motor.
    I could spend a small fortune, or a lot of time/work converting a pair of Desmoquatro heads to this spec and also lightening a standard crank.
    I like the clearance that these heads give the front wheel as well, allowing the forks to be dropped through the yokes/Triple clamps
    As a package I doubt very much if you could find a better starting point to build a hot motor, if you were on a tight/low budget.

Steve R

Hi Steve- Thanks for the shout out!

I am not very good at keeping up with forums- although when I do visit if I see any thread that I may be able it help or add anything useful I try to chime in. Really not much I can add to most threads- you guys really do have most technical issues covered very well.

I have been poking along with my '91 and '93 waiting for higher temperatures to begin paintwork- should have something to show this summer. Also starting on resurrecting my SP2 to stock. I want to bring the chassis up to a nice standard and then decide if I want to sell it or continue. I have a few too many street bikes and I think someone would like an SP2 if they are looking for an 888.

I just finished building a 955 for my street bike- just porting 888 heads with sps cams/knife edged crank/short gear box/ Ti rods/all gears lightened and polished. Not ideal but should be punchy for the street. This is now in my black bike which was my SP2 after I made it into a "street Corse". Only two items were original to the SP- the motor and the wire harness. To bring my SP2 back to original I just pulled the SP2 harness and the motor. I had an old wire harness that I wired in the second set of injectors and the 955 motor to install into the black bike- so now it is still all Corse except for the 955/ST4 case and the wire harness . I will re-paint the stock SP2 frame and unpack all of the original parts and assemble- and then perhaps sell.

If I was going out to 37/31 mm I would be tempted to stick with a 955. Nice upper end and pretty good snap. With a 984 I would stay a bit closer to stock and go for a torque motor. But you are way better then me on building up these motors so I am sure whatever I think the end results could be using the collection of parts you have squirreled away-- your build will far exceed my predictions.

Biggs is a penetrating corrosion inhibitor that I found works great on conversion coated mag pieces or if your side cases are starting to white fuzz a bit and you do not want to pull and re-Dow coat. My garage often get humid when I forget to put on the dehumidifier and that is killer on the mag parts. I thought this stuff may be more snake oil but since I sprayed it on then rubbed it off I find no more oxidation.

Try www.gibbsbrand.com to see what this lube does.

I hope all is well with you- sounds like you are hanging in.

Hi again Mark,
    Well I got pipped for the 916SP motor, it went for 1.50 over my top bid...BOLLOX !"
    Last weekend I missed out on a complete 916SP top end, I intended to place a bid quite bit higher than it sold for, but had been busy working on my bike and missed the end of the auction.

I'll pm or e-mail you to catch up chap.

Steve R

+ Reply to Thread