+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ducati SP4 For Sale Ebay UK

Default Ducati SP4 For Sale Ebay UK

I think that is worth the asking price.looks stunning.

It does look good, just always worries me when bikes are not ridden on a regular basis. Seals, bearings, moving parts all need a good ride and lube. However, however, drop a k and work through it from front to back and give it a regular thrashing and, and, oh bugger, try to forget I saw it!
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Now Sold!

So did you buy it Jester?

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    So did you buy it Jester?

Steve R
    Well the deposit has been paid Steve so half way there!! An amazing bike!
    Cheers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    It does look good, just always worries me when bikes are not ridden on a regular basis. Seals, bearings, moving parts all need a good ride and lube. However, however, drop a k and work through it from front to back and give it a regular thrashing and, and, oh bugger, try to forget I saw it!
    Guys, with a bike such as this that hasn't been ridden much in the last 16 years what would the cost be to get engine stripped down to replace seals and bearings and what other component are likely to need attention due to lack of use. I assume tires would need to be replaced etc. Just trying to get a ballpark cost to bring a bike such as this back to ride able condition.

Tough question. Its not all doom and gloom and a lot will depend how it was left before storage. You need to concentrate on 2 areas: things that stop the engine going bang and things that stop you crashing.

Engine : Timing belts, oil and filter, plugs, flush out tank, change fuel filter inside tank. Cost of parts would be roughly 200 quid.

Anti crashing : Tyres, brake pads, brake fluid, chain and sprockets, wheel, headstock bearings, Rough cost, 400 quid.

In addition you will probably need a fresh battery...

The biggest out lay would be labour should you leave it to a garage to do all of it but its worth having a go and doing most of it yourself. You certainly get to know your purchase at an intimate level and its worth stripping down to check all torque settings and lubrication.

You may get lucky and find many parts are usable but I would and do change the lot. Not just for the peace of mind but also to improve the products. If its been 5 to 10 years then the quality of parts such as tyre choice etc is so much better these days.

Hence my guestimate of 1000 pounds as a minimum to sort it. If a garage is doing it then double that figure for labour!
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

A few more to add from experience. You will probably need new fuel hose in the tank and outside, and may need a new fuel pump and screen. Change the coolant and check for corrosion on the radiator. Check the bearings on the belt idler and tensioner and change them if they are noisy. Change the fork oil and clean and grease the fork seals and wipers. I had a shock that burst the seal and dumped all the oil the first time I sat on it after sitting for many years, so clean and grease the shock shaft and then bounce on the seat. The bearings in the rear suspension rocker and the swing arm pivot should be greased too. Ultrasonic cleaning for the injectors, or a couple of bottles of injector cleaner added to the fuel tank if it will start.

Mike

Thanks guys very helpful as always...

+ Reply to Thread