+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1991 Ducati 851 Corsa Superbike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    .......these days it's all about available cash..............
    Steve,

Obviously you are in very good health,

On a bad day I am too far gone to walk upright without a bellyful of painkillers and an hour under a hot shower.

Though, on a good day its a bellyfull of scotch and an hour under a hot teenager.

Take care on your bike over christmas, some of those ass****s will also be drunk.

Jan,

A little joy ride is as far as I can take it.

Seemed better than just warming its engine whilst stationary. All the fluids get the chance to heat up and flow and it gives the suspension a little exercise. Don't forget the tires are the originals, so I was not trying to set the land speed record, just get a taste.

Participation in an event like that requires superlative prep work, I'm just trying to keep mine in working condition, even if its just to prove it's a sound machine.

Next time it is at John Hackett's I will video it running and post a link here.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by jr60 View Post
    Stunning bike (and price)......who was the well known actor that rode it on the road?

Johnny
    Scott Glenn? I'm guessing, but he does like his Ducs.
    1992 Ducati 888 SP4
    1992 Ducati 900SS
    2010 HD XRCR

Where there's a will, there is a way, and there is a #%&@ing way...

It was Bobby (Robert) Carradine,

Just found this,

The description seemed strangely familiar, then I realised......

I wrote it.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by 851corsa View Post
    ......Take care on your bike over christmas, some of those ass****s will also be drunk......

Take care on your bike over Christmas, Some of those ass****s will be worse than usual because they will be drunken ass****s.

Not

Take care on your bike over Christmas, Some of those ass****s will be as drunk as you.

2013 New year resolution: Work on articulation.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by 851corsa View Post
    Steve,

The RRR explodes forward with a vibrancy, that surprised me, even after a 650bhp DFV Cosworth engined F1 car.

That immediacy of action can only be attributed to its lack of mass. No relation to the 851sp3 at all, and the later 996, though more powerful, wasn't any closer.

Maybe MarkT will compete with one of his restored examples and confirm my observation.

Terry
    Terry -your term "immediacy of action" is spot on --this description of riding these first 888 Corse's echos everyone who have ridden these early Corse's. I look forward to getting my '91 on the track.

I have had all of my bikes on the track- not yet the '91 and '93 since I am still sorting them. My 955 should be very close the the '93 Ferracci bike due to the fact this bike was built, transported, and serviced by the Ferracci team during the AMA seasons. It has the 421 intake which spreads out the torque so it almost feels slow- even though I have walked past 888 Corse's on a straight. The 984 pulls like a tractor out of turns- but it is fairly slow in straights since I went with stock cams to save the case since It has been experiencing most of the track time for the last 10 years. My Sp2 which is basically a full Corse except for the motor,wire harness, and headlight, fueled with an FIM SPS chip and a turned up fuel pressure- has the character of 888/G cam with the hit at 8K which brings the front up if you pin the throttle. This bike has two characters-it is a completely a different bike when you go to WOT in any gear it just jumps and raises the front end at 8K in the first three gears-----but below WOT the bike feel like a slightly faster more lively well chipped 888.

I find that each bike even handles differently- but that could be more to do with the dynamics of each of the motors then the chassie, my 984 has a '94 frame with the slightly steeper rake angle and it still feels like it falls in slower then the other bikes. I also have the rear on this bike a bit higher then the others because the torque out of a turn squats the bike more then the other bikes.

Terry -from everyone I know that have ridden an 888/G cam Corse-your term "immediacy of action" is spot. Judging from that-- I think the 888 Corse with G cams will be the most fun/scary to track of any of my 888 Corse framed bikes.

Hi Terry,

These days I'm on up to 8 very strong painkillers a day, as all those old broken bones and worn out joints come back to visit me.

Like Mark I liked your description of what it feels like to ride a highly tuned and lightweight 888.
    But I prefer the description from one of the Baines brothers from some year back, when he described it as...
    "Like being hit from behind with a Cricket Bat"...

Steve R

I'm sorry to hear that Steve,

George Bernard Shaw probably just got off a Ducati when he said "Youth is wasted on the young"

-----

Mark,

SPS owners speak of their bikes as having a bit more 'zing' than the sp's, so its reasonable to conclude that the engine's characteristics play a part in the RRR's ability, but I would need a lot more running before I could ascertain how much when compared to its weight advantage.

When I am learning a vehicle, one of the methods I find helpful is to roll along at a steady 30mph, put it in its highest gear, floor the gas and monitor how it behaves through its rev range. Then I return to the 30 and cog it down a gear and repeat, again and again till i've done all the gears.

In the case of the RRR I soon realised why my image gallery contained so many pictures of them with their front wheels aloft.

I did not come anywhere near 'mastering' the thing, all I did was a few runs to get a taste and reassure myself that it all works so don't expect any comments on its handling qualities.

Terry

PS: Does anybody here have this Book?

I've got it !!!

A question ??

So have I.
    1992 Ducati 888 SP4
    1992 Ducati 900SS
    2010 HD XRCR

Where there's a will, there is a way, and there is a #%&@ing way...

Many thanks to Phil for the image,

Text reads:

Bobby Carradine's own Roche Replica features a headlight decal that looks fairly realistic from a passing squad car.

Terry

+ Reply to Thread