+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: DUCATI 851/888 Opinion?

Default DUCATI 851/888 Opinion?

Hi All,
    I've just joined and I hope this is the right place for this thread.

I would like some opinions from someone with more 888 knowledge than me.
    I have a 65' 250 Mk1, and I've been around early bevel drive Ducati's my whole life, but I really have no experience at all with anything post 1980.
    The 888, and the first generation 916 are on my bucket list, and I'm considering this 888 on eBau Aus at the moment.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170890874...#ht_728wt_1074

Trouble is, it's a 16hour drive away to inspect/purchase.
    Would some of you kind people mind taking a look at the listing and give me some thoughts or opinions on it? Any questions I should be asking the seller beforehand? Does the price seem ok?

All I have got from the seller so far is that its currently registered, but needs a speedo and quieter pipes to be installed for it to pass a safety inspection. Will also need a tune and a new clutch kit.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Sydney, Aus.

Thumbs down

Hi Nathan,

I am certain there are much more knowledgeable people around on this forum than me I do however believe that they will agree with me that something's up with the front brake caliper!
    It look like it came straight off an 848 or something similar?!

To me it looks like a 'bits n bob' bike and I would not drive 16 hours to just check it. Then again I'm from Holland and over here 30 minutes of driving gets you into another country!

E

Looks like a nicely modified bike. Those radial brakes look awesome.
    1990 851
    1992 907ie
    1992 851 Strada
    1995 900SS-SP
    1996 900SS-CR
    2002 748
    2005 749S
    2007 Husqvarna SMR510 SuperMoto

Default DUCATI 851/888 Opinion

Hi Nathan

I think this 888 (originally 1989 851Strada) may be the bike my best mate previously owned in Sydney and sold in 2010 to a gent in Tassie as I see some very familiar unique parts (front red guard) but it has had some mods since then.

I have just emailed the eBay link to him and if I receive confirmation it is the bike can PM you some further details as I am currently overseas.

Hope this helps

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MJP1 View Post
    Looks like a nicely modified bike. Those radial brakes look awesome.
    It does sound like a nicely modified bike BUT...
    It's not original and those forks/radial brakes just look so out of place IMO.
    Which V-Two cams have been fitted?
    What is the modified header system?
    What power is the motor making?
    The seller admits that it's not running perfectly?

In short it could be a real pile of shit to ride, then again it might not be that bad.

Steve R

as long as you can turn it back to standard if required why not? especially if it is known on here.. worth a look... it looks loved so your halfway there
    "The bike I would like to have in my personal museum is a Ducati 888, the last one before the 916. This is the best Ducati, the 916 is elegant but the 888 is the best. Massimo Bordi

General rule of thunmb with any classic bike purchase is to judge the owner before the bike. If the owner can tell you when oil, filters, belts and fluids etc. were last changed that's a good sign. If not wait for the next one.

ideally you want to see evidence of shop receipts or inhouse workshop facilities/knowledge to do the work.

If the above checks out ok, view the bike or buy blind having agreed the purchase criteria with the seller.

My take on that bike is its been cared for and may be a good buy if originality isn't your bag but don't forget all 851/888 are fragile and do break regardless of how well they have been looked after.

If you've got the bug and have plenty of patience buy it.

Firstly, thanks for your comments. Very much appreciated!

The listing mentions that it has a more modern front end on it, but that he will also supply the original front end and plastics etc, so I should be able to convert it back to standard.

Thanks for pointing this out Dero, I should have realised it was an upgraded 851 (Doh!) To be honest, I'd much prefer a factory 888 than a an upgraded 851, but this might still be a good buy if I can convert it back to standard and maybe upgrade to a factory one later.
    I'd appreciate you getting any details from your friend if he is the previous owner.

I've just emailed the seller again asking for more info on the front end, cams, headers etc, and if the original front end is in good condition and able to be refitted, and also if he has a speedo for it.

Will see what I get back.

Thanks again guys! Appreciate the feedback and assistance!
    Nathan

FWIW Here's some pics of my reasonably original 89. Pic 1 & 2. Visible changes from original are Staintune spagetti collector & high level mufflers. On an 89 high mufflers require cutting the muffler hanger brackets off the rear subframe. Pic 3 shows a bike with subframe muffler hanger brackets intact & what look like standard mufflers.

There's lots of other obvious changes from standard. Going back to standard feels like a bigish job to me.

I'm about an hour out of Hobart so if you're seriously interested I can take a run up for a look see.

The VIN ZDM1EB2RXLB000476 suggests it might actually be a 90 model (2nd with 17inch wheels), mines ZDM1EB2RXKB000444
    Attached Images
    Toys from new: 1981 Ducati 900MHR, 1985 Ducati 750F1, 1989 Ducati 851
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...tibruce/Bikes/
    From almost new: 1973 2000 GTV Alfa

Default DUCATI 851/888 Opinion

Hi Nathan,

I have received confirmation from my best mate that it is his old 851/888 from Sydney.
    He is more than happy to discuss the bike with you so I will send you a PM with his mobile number.

Ducatibruce - Bruce this is the other 851 89 model I was talking about in Tasmania.

Nathan- I also have an 89 851 upgraded to 888 and with upside down front fork upgrade and Ohlins rear and absolutely love it. Whilst it is not 100% original, I love the extra power and vast improvement in handling so in the end it may come down to whether you want a 100% original bike or something with upgrades that has the option to be put back to original down the track.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dave

+ Reply to Thread