+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ducati 888 SP5

Default Ducati 888 SP5

Good morning all.

I've had this forum recommended to me and wondered if you can help.

I've seen a Ducati 888 SP5 that might be up for sale soon. It`s in good nick, well used but also well cared for with about 20,000 miles on the clock. It has a FSH and I know the dealership well who supplied it and have maintained it all its life. The price being suggested is 15,000.

Anyone any thoughts on the price, is 15k about right or not. I was thinking more of 10,000 to 11,000?

Default 10-11,000

I think your just about right, 15k is considerably more than I would pay

Cheers thanks for that, I know roughly where I am now.

I read that the 888 SP5 was the best of the 851 & 888's. Is that the general opinion on this forum or are there more desirable models out there?

Also how rare are the 888 SP5?

11k is about the ball park figure.

The SP5 is it without the best!!

I'm biased of course having an SP5!!

Seriously,

Whether the SP5 is the best is personal choice( and much disagreement! )

In many peoples eyes it is not as good as the previous sp's as it doesn't have ohlins front forks, but It has an engine to die for( and it would cost a lot more to bring the other engines up to sp5 spec than to buy a pair of ohlins!).

Some prefer the early shape, some the later. Some prefer the white frames,some the tanks(I have an early tank on my SP5 as I prefer the shape!)

The SP5's where limited to 500 and of course were the last of the line!

I'm sure other forum members will add there comments shortly!

Thats about the long and short of it. I have 2 888's, neither standard. I did own a very tidy sp4 which i regret selling now... If you want the best off the peg spec then the last of the sp line is not going to disappoint. There's one on ebay now for 10,500 open to offers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-888...0#ht_515wt_911

I am keeping my later shaped 888's and will be looking to add an earlier SP3 when the time is right, for looks and history more then anything else. I ride all my bikes as much as possible and so originality and low mileage show bikes are not my thing. Thankfully, other people are into that and good luck to them.

Any 851/888 gives pleasure on the road and will always pull a crowd in a carpark. If you want truly exclusive then get a race pedigree sps as per the avatar at the top of the forum. But then budget goes out of the window and copies, well, go for silly money to the ill informed.

Standard SP 3, 4 or 5 depending on what you like the look of all seem to be floating around the same price bracket at the moment. I suspect they wont stay as low for much longer and any one of them if set up properly will give you a great return. Good luck...
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

Thanks for the info chaps,

I'm learning fast and feel it is now only a matter of time before one is gracing my garage. I had been looking at a 916 or a 996, but the 888 bug has definately taken a big bite.

Regarding the 888 SP5, how many of the 500 made were exported into the U.K?

The SP5 is my pick of the bunch. Unfortunately it has one minor draw back. They fitted it and the SP4 with roller main bearings. Being extremely race orientated it had larger gugeon pins and roller main bearing to handle the extra power. I fitted a set to my 851 and got 16000km out of them and Mr R wazzed in a set and got 25000km out of them I think from memory. Standard ball type bearings have been fitted in all other models since then. If you buy that one you might want to consider some sort of deal with the shop. As once they are replaced it will go for ever. I'm not saying its going to crap out ( as myself and Mr R play in the shed and the factory is another matter.) But at least consider the possibility.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    The SP5 is my pick of the bunch. Unfortunately it has one minor draw back. They fitted it and the SP4 with roller main bearings. Being extremely race orientated it had larger gugeon pins and roller main bearing to handle the extra power. I fitted a set to my 851 and got 16000km out of them and Mr R wazzed in a set and got 25000km out of them I think from memory. Standard ball type bearings have been fitted in all other models since then. If you buy that one you might want to consider some sort of deal with the shop. As once they are replaced it will go for ever. I'm not saying its going to crap out ( as myself and Mr R play in the shed and the factory is another matter.) But at least consider the possibility.
    Hmm I'm not exactly sure what you mean here?? By "roller main bearings" do you mean needle roller bearings running directly on the crank shaft?
    I'm asking because "roller main bearings" and "Standard ball type bearings" to me sound like the same thing.

Default 888's

Quote Originally Posted by sagot View Post
    Hmm I'm not exactly sure what you mean here?? By "roller main bearings" do you mean needle roller bearings running directly on the crank shaft?
    I'm asking because "roller main bearings" and "Standard ball type bearings" to me sound like the same thing.
    Well I'd say it's generally accepted that the SPS (SP4S) is the top 888, Ducati (allegedly) made 500 SP4's, of which the first 100 (allegedly) were 'S' spec, therafter known as SPS or SP4S. The SPS has the highest spec i.e. the factory Corsa race motor from 1991, Ohlins front & rear, the Corsa cooling system (no fans), and a carbon fibre fuel tank etc. You'd probably have to pay at least 20k for one of these I would think, if you can find one.

1992 SPS (SP4S) http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...ati_888sps.htm
    1993 SP5 Similar spec motor to the previous years' SPS, but lower spec suspension/steel tank (and not so good looking?)
    1992 SP4 Higher spec suspension (Ohlins) than the SP5, but lower spec motor/steel tank, still a big step up from the 888 strada motor though.

I had an SP4 once, then bought a 916, which although pretty, is not a beast like all these early SP's. Luckily I subsequently found an SPS. Either way nobody would be disappointed with any of these bikes, they are all bloody fantastic, in my opinion.
    Last edited by eight8eight; 06-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Eight8eight - what's your feeling about the SPS ( was it a 916 or 996?) compared to the SP4? I'm looking for a 996 SPS soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by got2dv8 View Post

Just hurry up and finish tearing her apart so you stop finding broken bits.
    SP3 #132
    1992 900 SS

+ Reply to Thread