+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 851/888 Corsa Aluminium tank

Default 851/888 Corsa Aluminium tank

I have just listed my 851/888 Corsa Aluminium tank on eBay

Item 260965670042
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260965670042
    Last edited by Jimmy; 02-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Why do you think that is a Corse tank?

Bottom view
    Attached Images
    Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

same question

Looks like it's been removed from FleeBay

It is still on eBay. I think it is a Cors(a) tank because that is what it was sold to me as by someone with far more knowledge than myself, and I have since seen 3 other identical tanks listed on eBay with the same description.

It is an Aluminium tank with a hidden breather around the tank filler boss (which exits through the bottom of the tank rather than out through a nipple at the front).

If there was an Aluminium Ducati tank of this shape that is something other than a Corsa tank then I am mistaken. I am not trying to trick anyone or mislead anyone, and would be happy to correct anything if it is wrong.

The tank is in an original Ducati box with a part number on it (58620171AA), but I cannot be sure it is the original box. When I search the internet for that part number it often shows a tank more of an SS shape (which is what leads me to believe it is not the right part number). However, if someone recognises this part number as belonging to my tank and can spread some light, I am open to suggestions.

Again, this is a totally genuine sale of an Aluminium Ducati tank as shown in my advert photographs. It is my belief this makes it a Corsa tank. I am not aware that Ducati put any Aluminium tanks on their bikes as Original Equipment.

Have to agree with Mark here, what you have looks like a standard alloy tank as fitted to the all the '89 and '90 road bikes.

It may have been used on a race bike but this does not make it a Corse item - ie supplied by the factory as fitted to the Corse bikes produced by them. All of the Corse tanks were carbon fibre from 1990, and to my knowledge the only 'Corse' tanks that were alloy where the '88 Kit Racing and the '89 Lucky rep - these were same as used on the Trics.

From what I know, the following alloy tanks where used on the 851/888 range;

- Tric - has the single rubber strap mount on the front
    - '89, '90 - with the older style fuel cap mount (smaller hole and 8 mount screws)
    - '90, 91 - later style fuel cap mount (larger hole and grub screws hold the ring in - like the steel tanks)

From what I can see some '90 bikes have the earlier type, some the later and in '91 some of the bikes seem to be fitted with a steel version of the same tank.

Johnny

This one has 8 holes with a PCD of 108mm, with the hole in the tank being slightly less than that (so large hole?) I know it was a pig to find a cap/surround for.

Here is a pic showing the (large?) hole in the top without the filler cap/surround. I think the recess the surround needed to fit in was about 120mm. Does this make it an 89/90 style?
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread