+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion regarding sale of parts on the forum

Default Suggestion regarding sale of parts on the forum

Hi all,

I have a suggestion to open up the classified section in a more balanced way recognising that we have members in different time zones and with very varied work and therefore forum access times

The suggestion is simple

List a part or parts for sale and allow a period of time to receive requests and resolve questions - say 24 hours

Then wait a further 24 hours to see if you have more than 1 buyer

And if you have more than 1 pop all the names in a hat and pull out a name and make the sale

Trust you all find this suggestion of use

We adopted it on our local swapshop/trading site as many items were being sold first come first served basis in the initial 10 minutes after the email went out at midnight on a Sunday

Thanks

Guy851

If you have more than one buyer, i thought you would then double the price? keep doing that until you have just one buyer

Hey Guy...why not turn it into an auction, leave chance out of it.

Default Roll up, roll up!

I have thought about what Guy has posted here and I have a solution, offer whatever you have for sale to the forum users stipulating that you will sell it on to whoever offers the most money for an item by a certain cut off time, a few days or so.

To make things interesting each forum users is only allowed one offer being the first offer made, so if you think that it is worth a penny then offer 1p, however it is likely that to somebody else it is worth more and as you have offered a penny that's it, no more raising the offer...a bit like a sealed bid.

It will take a fair degree of honesty on the part of whoever is selling on an item, but it will allow forum members who are in different time zones an opportunity to purchase something that was advertised whilst they were asleep or possibly at work.

If the top three offers are, at the end of the period, then posted with the amounts and by whom, it is open for everybody to see what something got sold for and hopefully self policing to a degree.

If person 'A' offers 1p, then person 'B' offers 25 and person 'C' offers 70, the item would be sold to person 'C' for 70! What do other forum users think to that idea?

I have some parts that are new but seconds that I am prepared to trial this method on, they will go for whatever they make, no reserve or safety net, should I...I can post some parts tomorrow and best offer by Thursday morning when I wake up is the winner?

Negative!!!! All cassifieds should have a asking price. First come first serve.

Jimmy
    Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Negative!!!! All cassifieds should have a asking price. First come first serve.

Jimmy
    Roger, load and clear, over and out!

Sorry Jimmy, I didn't mean to cause any problems!

I can see where Peter is coming from, and I can also see it from Jimmys point of view also, I hope I did not start this off yesterday as my two items flew out the door.

Scott

Default My Suggestion

Sorry folks this one got a bit carried away

The suggestion would only apply if a part was posted with a price and I in no way wanted to propose an on forum auction to the highest bidder

Simply to allow everybody an opportunity to buy the item at the stated price regardless of timezone and other access to forum limitations

As I said this works very well elsewhere

Seems this went down like a ton of bricks so I am off to fetch my coat

Thanks

Guy851

Default Selling Method

I agree with the idea of listing an asking price and then letting 24-48 hours pass so that subscribers who are in different time zones have a chance to show interest. Its up to the seller to set the price. If I want to E-Bay parts, I'll use E-bay. I like to think that on this Forum that bits are going to like-minded lunatics who NEED the parts, which feels different than e-bay. I don't think we should turn this forum into an auction. Having said all the above, I would also want to be able to ask for offers on a part if I really didn't know what it was worth.

+ Reply to Thread