+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SP4S in Moto Rapido

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    that was my point when I said a bike is worth what some one will pay for it, but, etc. Just hope some rich loonie doesn't pay it!
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Self made guys didn't get that way by being stupid, and "lucky sperm club" guys don't stay rich for long if they're not smart with the money. If you see a crazy sale price, usually someone hasn't done their research.

You do see some funny things at high end auctions sometimes. Big money often goes hand in hand with a big ego. About 18 mths ago I was offered a driving suit used by Steve McQueen in the movie "Le Mans". Asking price was $120k which was over the top expensive. After 6 months of extensive worldwide advertising it sold for that. The buyer put it in a big name auction a few months later. There were 2 bidders, both billionaires with ego to match. They both had to have it and the resultant bidding war saw the suit go for $950k, and remember this is an item that was advertised in the right places worldwide for
    6 months not long before the auction. It happens; but it's not often and overpriced stuff usually sits around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 360C View Post
    It happens; but it's not often and overpriced stuff usually sits around forever.
    ...and things that are too cheap go to the first caller!

Despite what I have said above, the price sought for a several owner, well used machine is rather over optimistic in my opinion, but they are special.

Hypothetically, what if it was Carl Fogarty's bike originally, then passed onto Tardozzi, Falappa, Roche, Polen who registered it to use whilst in the UK, handing it to Whitham when he left, who then gave it to Rutter before it was bought by a member of the General public...assume that it had been thrashed within an inch of it's existence...

...now what would that be worth?

Quote Originally Posted by sp2 boy View Post
    I think that you will find that if you bin the lights and a few other bits that's as close to a 'Corse' machine and some people, who would not have managed to get themselves a 'Corse' from the factory, would have gone that route!

I suppose that in 1992 that was the equivalent of the Desmosedici.
    I see the points you are making; but its a bit of a stretch to say that amounts to a racing pedigree for the SPS. In reality the spec is still a fair way off a true Corsa, even if a few amateur racers may have gone that route through lack of other options.

As for the Desmosedici, it doesn't share anything of significance with the Motor GP bike, despite all the spin from the Ducati marketing department. The gap between race and road is so vast today that a true race bike would be unusable on today's public roads.
    I bought mine purely because I love the technology, engineering and quality of materials and equipment. All of which are unique to the Desmosedici and haven't been used in a plethora of other Ducati models. Ducati lost money on every one, so the bike is likely to stay unique too. It doesn't hurt that it's a pretty good looking thing either
    Anyone who bought one to make money was kidding themselves. It's no surprise that they followed the same depreciation curve as every other bike IMO.

I dont mind used. But there in lies the difference. I am not a collector, I am an enthusiast, so the thought of buying a zero miles bike that has to stay that way is my idea of torture. I can see that figure if the bike had provenance of either a race nature or famous owner and was therefore desirable to the ego rich but it has neither.

I watch the auto auction shows in the states every now and then and many of the cars return every year with the sale price from the last auction as a starting point. They nearly always increase in value, or maybe they are the only ones that make the edit!
    Ducati's 851, 888, Bimota's Db2, Db5, Honda blades 93 /96, Triumph speed triple, Zxr 750K1, Zx7rr

...and Sells quickly every timethings that are too cheap go to the first caller!
    Absolutely. If I am serious about moving something on, I'll presesent it well and price it very competitively.

Hypothetically, what if it was Carl Fogarty's bike originally, then passed onto Tardozzi, Falappa, Roche, Polen who registered it to use whilst in the UK, handing it to Whitham when he left, who then gave it to Rutter before it was bought by a member of the General public...assume that it had been thrashed within an inch of it's existence...

...now what would that be worth?

If it was fully documented and properly presented and marketed, it would be worth quite a bit more to the right buyer. At the risk of annoying people with another example from the car world...... Steve McQueens Ferrari Lusso sold at auction for $2.3 million US in 2007. At the time the going rate for an average Lusso was circa $650k. Fully documented, beautifully presented at the right venue to the right people.

360C Are you in the motor trade...just that you seem to have a nose for exclusive, read expensive, items or are you a regular dude who likes to know how others spend their money...what do you do to earn a crust?

Feel free to tell me to 'bugger-off' if you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    I dont mind used. But there in lies the difference. I am not a collector, I am an enthusiast, so the thought of buying a zero miles bike that has to stay that way is my idea of torture. I can see that figure if the bike had provenance of either a race nature or famous owner and was therefore desirable to the ego rich but it has neither.

I watch the auto auction shows in the states every now and then and many of the cars return every year with the sale price from the last auction as a starting point. They nearly always increase in value, or maybe they are the only ones that make the edit!
    It's one of those strange things. Most buyers want a "garage queen" example. Low mile

s, all the documentation and nice and shiny. The reality is they will require expensive recommissioning in order to use them, and every mile you put on it rapidly depreciates the premium you paid for it in the first p
    lace. If you want to use it, buy a well maintained example with sensible miles and all the documentation. If you want to look at it and never use it, buy the garage queen.

The US auctions you see on TV are normally the red neck muscle car volume auctions. Made for TV, and nothing like the top end collector auctions. The only show I have seen that is more representative of the collector market is Wayne Carini's "Chasing Classic Cars". Not sure if you get it over there, its on cable here.

+ Reply to Thread