+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: '92 project

Default '92 project

Latest pix. Remembering this came as a box of parts, it's fun putting it back together .... anyone got the bits needed to make the seat able to be sat upon?
    Attached Images

Looking good Tony - Jeez you work fast - did you not just get it a few weeks ago?

Probably already aware but the tank (looks) like an early 851 alloy type not what should be on the facelift '92, I can see that you have bolted it to the subframe - be interested to see how you going to secure at the front as the later tank uses a clip system on to the frame.

Reason is will be fitting one of these tanks to my own bike (later tank going on the ST4S hybrid) - had thought about mounting a pivot point at the back - so it will pivot (handy) and a welding a tab at the front (tank is damaged and will need repairing anyway) to use a strap to secure.

Edit - you may also need to run no top on the airbox - the alloy tank outlets are at middle of the tank whereas the '92 tank is at the back. When placing the tank on it looked like there would not be enough room (don't know if the '89 had a diff type of airbox or not).

Cheers

Johnny
    Last edited by jr60; 11-15-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Looks great Tony! Those front rotors look new!
    I have one new one, looking for another.

Default Sitting parts

Indeed I have all the parts you need but I fear postage may be an issue

Complete "arse" end with all parts and seat lock I have here

Guy851

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Ducati View Post
    Latest pix. Remembering this came as a box of parts, it's fun putting it back together .... anyone got the bits needed to make the seat able to be sat upon?

Quote Originally Posted by jr60 View Post
    Looking good Tony - Jeez you work fast - did you not just get it a few weeks ago?

Probably already aware but the tank (looks) like an early 851 alloy type not what should be on the facelift '92, I can see that you have bolted it to the subframe - be interested to see how you going to secure at the front as the later tank uses a clip system on to the frame.

Reason is will be fitting one of these tanks to my own bike (later tank going on the ST4S hybrid) - had thought about mounting a pivot point at the back - so it will pivot (handy) and a welding a tab at the front (tank is damaged and will need repairing anyway) to use a strap to secure.

Edit - you may also need to run no top on the airbox - the alloy tank outlets are at middle of the tank whereas the '92 tank is at the back. When placing the tank on it looked like there would not be enough room (don't know if the '89 had a diff type of airbox or not).

Cheers

Johnny
    I have a habit of not thinking too far ahead. On that basis, I made a pivot for the rear, and attached a couple of "modified" rubber/steel mounts to the front so they just sit nicely on the frame. As my tank is brand new, welding is not an option so I guess I'll work something out with a vacuum cleaner drive belt or something to attach the front.

As far as an airbox goes ... I don't seem to have one ....

I think I've been working on this bike for about a month now. Hoping to have it ready for Christmas.
    Attached Images

Default Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Looks great Tony! Those front rotors look new!
    I have one new one, looking for another.
    My centres were well worn. I dropped the buttons, blasted the alloys then made up a mix of 2 pak to "replicate" the yellow anodizing. My anodizer couldn't get close he reckoned, but this doesn't look too bad in the flesh. Mix of gold, yellow and white, in a clear base - a bit translucent. Anyway, I'm happy!

Hi Tony,

I recently restored a set of 16" wheels and found a guy in Melbourne that does anodising. His gold wasnt perfectly original but I quite like how it turned out; both that and the black.
    BTW how did you get the magnesium effect on the top yoke?

cheers

Sean
    Attached Images
    Last edited by customhead; 11-16-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: forgot pic

Hi Sean,

Quite frankly, anodizing scares me, mainly because I haven't done it before. I think Marvin does it. In fact, I think I sent him a Ducati wheel cylinder in 2005 to anodize for me but it got lost in the post/anodizing bath.

Where in Melbourne are you?

Quote Originally Posted by customhead View Post
    Hi Tony,

I recently restored a set of 16" wheels and found a guy in Melbourne that does anodising. His gold wasnt perfectly original but I quite like how it turned out; both that and the black.
    BTW how did you get the magnesium effect on the top yoke?

cheers

Sean
    And that wheel is DEAD SEXY.

Top yoke - magnesium effect??

But it IS magnesium ... just ask Steve ...

I refurbed my ss front discs with gold hammerite!! Came out well and has lasted so far.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread