+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corse Gallery

Default Corse Gallery

This is a section that members can show their Corse's. Along with the picture a narrative about the bike's history if known and what parts on the bike are not Corse parts. If the parts are exact reproductions that is fine. Non Corse parts that have not been identified may lead a member to believe that the part is correct. I am sure each bike will be debated.

I will start with my "new to me" '93. Ferracci bought this bike from the factory for the '93 AMA season. It is one of the four Works bikes that Ferracci bought for Doug Polen and Pascal Picotte to ride. This bike is supposedly Doug Polen's #2 bike per the stamp on the upper triple tree. Brad Hazen purchased this bike at the end of '93 and raced it in '94. He crashed the bike at Road Atlanta when he got into a fight during the race with Scott Doohan. The bike was stripped down and a new frame along with other parts to repair the bike was bought from Ferracci. Before the bike was assembled the AMA banned Hazen from AMA racing. The bike was sold in pieces with all of the major pieces except for the motor, wire harness and carbon rotors bought by Tom Tasso. Tom assembled the bike and built a new 955 motor for it using a NOS Corse case and a factory 955 kit. The heads are reworked 888 street heads and the gearbox is 748. The bike was set up to ride on the street with a fabricated wire harness. Tom showed this bike at many Ducati shows so it is a well-known bike in the US.

I am going to install the correct 955 motor and Corse wire harness. If I can ever the correct 280 mm carbon rotors I will install them. The aluminum bracket on the back is just a seat support Tom added. There may be more non Corse parts but I have not gone through the bike yet.

This is one of those bikes that have a well documented oral history but very little paperwork and a replacement frame. The aluminum Works tag is on the new frame but it has no stamp on the headstock. So for the purist this is not a true Corse but a collection of parts. Some will also say that it should not be set up as a Polen bike due to the lack of documentation from Mr. Ferracci. I am working to get documentation but believe there is little hope of receiving any from Mr Ferracci.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    So for the purist this is not a true Corse but a collection of parts.
    Now then Mark,
    it's not looking too shabby for a 'Bitsa'
    What's the story on the bodywork?
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phl851 View Post
    Now then Mark,
    it's not looking too shabby for a 'Bitsa'
    What's the story on the bodywork?
    Phil
    Phil -

The bodywork is a copy of the Polen bikes as set up at the beginning of the '93 AMA season ---Tom knew it was a Polen bike even if it did not have all of the paperwork= because he bought it from Brad Hazen who bought the bike from Ferracci but did not keep the paperwork.

I am going to paint up another set of bodywork because as good as these look and are carbon fiber- they are not factory with the foam inserts. I will decide then if I want to follow Tom's lead and keep it as a Polen bike or keep it plain. The bike has been shown at big shows as the Polen bike so I may keep it that way.

Mark I can personally verify that as the genuine article. It has a green piece of something holding the battery in place. If you look closely at many race machine pictures, you will note this. Green rubber bands and green electrical wire abound. Its a bit spooky really.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

Obviously not the same Polen bike, but when the Factory brought one of his WSB Championship winning bikes over to the UK for a tour of the University design dept's, I had a very close look at it and was allowed to sit on it, it had the open "Letterbox" type of fuel tank and when I opened the throttle I could actually see the back of the inlet valves in the rear head.

Steve R

Which year Polen bike was that Steve, I think Mark also has Polen's earlier bike with the 851 carbon tank.

This is a 1993 Factory Works 888, it is from the same batch that Ducati made for Fogarty and Fallappa to ride in the 1993 WSB series. Fast by Ferracci received four of them (two for Doug Polen and two for Pascal Picotte). Ducati wanted to win an AMA Superbike championship, so they gave FBF the best bikes that they had at the time. Usually FBF got the previous years works World Superbikes. The front forks are the give-away, only the 10 or so 1993 Works bikes had these front forks with bolt on caliper bracket mounts (72mm spacing) and 80mm spacing on the front fender bolts holes ( thus necesitating the need for a special front fender just for the Works bikes). The standard customer Corsa forks used 40mm spacing on the caliper mounts and 85mm spacing on the front fender mounts.

There is no way that you can see the throttle bodies on either a 1993 customer 888 Corsa or a Works Corsa without lifting the fuel tank.
    Last edited by Foggy 888; 11-11-2011 at 10:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread