+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil cooler or not? 888 Strada

Default Oil cooler or not? 888 Strada

I've been toying with the idea of fitting an oil cooler to my 888 Strada. Its not a racer and highly unlikely it will see a track as its bit tooo nice to damage and would probably use my SL if ever tempted that way.
    Anyways with it likely only to be used for road use (possibly spirited) is it advisable to fit a cooler to these? . Its mostly stock with open airbox lid, straight throu 40mm cans, though I've a set of hi-level 50mm cans and SP5 headers to fit. Ps located in the temperate North so not likely to bake it in mediteranean like temps either . Definitely dont want to over cool the oil.
    '94 888 strada, '94 900 superlight, '10 XT1200Z SuperTenere, '86 Gsx-R750 Slabside.

I say no oil cooler. From everything I have read the oil temp. has very little to do with coolant temp anyway. 748' don't have one either.

So at what point does an 888 need a oil cooler? when its over 110HP (ie into 916 territory? I only quote 110 as my old 916 made 108hp un tweaked, albeiht on a dynojet dyno.
    '94 888 strada, '94 900 superlight, '10 XT1200Z SuperTenere, '86 Gsx-R750 Slabside.

I too pondered the oil cooler situation. I've even got the odd one or 2 of different types in preperation. I ride only on the road, and have both oil (analog) and water temp (digital) being monitered. I like to give it some, and have found there is no real need for the oil cooler except perhaps in town when the air temp is above 32C ish. Basically its extra weight and something else to get a leak. Pity really as I like the look of fitted oil cooler, gives the enging a more tech look.

What I've found also is oil temp and water temp are within a couple of degree's of one another most of the time. What you do get is is a split after giving it some, then backing off. Naturally the water temp comes down before the oil temp. I get temp ranges from 65-8 to 95, with the cool running in our winter while just generally going along. Most of the time during normal riding my temp sits at 74. Before I rebuilt the engine I considered 80 to be normal running temp. The high temps are on hot days after sustained high rpm 8-10K rpm then slowing down through towns etc. Considering two valvers oil temp can normally be 95 to 110 in summer, the bike overall runs pretty cool.

Griff

PS I have an estimated HP of over 115. I also have ceramic coating on pistons conrod bearings and headers, which cools things down a bit.

Hi,
    I'm in the don't bother fitting one to a standard motor camp, especially over here in the UK where it doesn't get that hot.
    They were fitted to the SP's making around 110 rwbhp and were intended for sport riding, but a good 888 Strada would be very lucky to make over 100 rwbhp.

I fitted one to my 851/916cc bike when I started to tune it, as I was aiming for SP type power but at lower revs, reasoning that they were fitted to the SP's, I wasn't sure if it was really needed but it couldn't hurt to fit one.
    The bike now makes 128 rwbhp, which's a bit more than SP power and most if not all standard Ducati's that make this sort of power have oil coolers as standard.

Steve R

Thumbs up

Cheers all , good interesting info. The oil cooler is going to stay on the shelf for the time being.

+ Reply to Thread