+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Factory 888 Corsa with a 955 engine...whats it worth?

Question Factory 888 Corsa with a 955 engine...whats it worth?

Hi,
    I've stumbled across a bike with a full factory engine/frame with all the carbon kit parts and titanium everything. Its prep'd for road use, lights/battery etc

Some engine parts are ex-Fogarty, heads/crank

Its a bit scary to buy something like this because its neither a race bike nor a road bike really, so there isn't a history file, its probably seen some hard life, but its an awesome spec.

Its 143bhp and 150kg due to carbon wheels/tank/fairing/inlet tubes/airbox/rearsets and lots of the other usual bits.

Does anyone have a view on what something like this would be worth? To me it seems like a 'hens teeth' type situation and not to be missed, but its serious cash and theres not much precedent out on the web for something like this.

Any advice welcomed
    Thanks
    Greg

No history? It's worth nothing mate.

Why not give me the guy's number and I'll take it down the tip for him....?

How do you lot ' stumble ' across such things when all i manage to find are rusted up Kawasaki's worth 4.80

Hi Greg,

If you can verify the numbers with Ducati, and the engine does indeed have all the right bits, then it's a good basis for something that might be worth a lot if restored as a race bike. You'd have to find out some history on who rode it, look at what's missing and price those bits and that would give you an idea on what it's worth. Forks, calipers, discs and wheels are probably some of the more expensive bits, but these may already be accurate. Do you have any pictures of the bike. It is possible to buy bits and pieces and put together something similar to what you have described, all be it expensive, so with little or no rider history then it becomes a bunch of expensive parts.

If you just want to ride it on the road, then it's probably still worth something, but you may find with those power figures, and depending on what crankcases are used it may not be super reliable.

Morgan.
    Last edited by shmokica; 08-17-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippotech View Post
    Hi,
    I've stumbled across a bike with a full factory engine/frame with all the carbon kit parts and titanium everything. Its prep'd for road use, lights/battery etc

Some engine parts are ex-Fogarty, heads/crank

Its a bit scary to buy something like this because its neither a race bike nor a road bike really, so there isn't a history file, its probably seen some hard life, but its an awesome spec.

Its 143bhp and 150kg due to carbon wheels/tank/fairing/inlet tubes/airbox/rearsets and lots of the other usual bits.

Does anyone have a view on what something like this would be worth? To me it seems like a 'hens teeth' type situation and not to be missed, but its serious cash and theres not much precedent out on the web for something like this.

Any advice welcomed
    Thanks
    Greg
    Without some more info and pictures the current value is difficult to gauge. If it has a genuine Corse frame, with a vin number from Ducati, then it has more value than a road going frame with many of the parts or even a replacement Corse frame.

Made in Italy, in Stowmarket, have a nicely tweeked 888, engine by 'John Hackett' (JHP) and nice tasty parts...it looks immaculate and is up for 11k which I believe is good value when compared to how much it would cost to do the same work to an average 888.

There are some Corse bikes currently available ranging in price from 14k through to 30k but it depends on the spec and who's actual bike it was. A known named rider could make all the difference...I believe a factory Corse was for sale recently and I believe they wanted more than what I have quoted.

Good luck with it but with so little info and knowing what is being asked it's difficult to give an honest opinion...a bit like asking how long a piece of string is!

Default Corse 955

Post up pictures as we are all waiting to see.

Drop me the contact if you decide against

Guy851

Greg-

I think Morgan and Peter hit it on the head -if it does not have a frame number then add up the value on all of the true "Corse" parts and the motor and do not pay more then this value- unless your are very hot for it since complete bikes do not come along too often. I follow the last part-- my passion often makes me way overpay- no matter what good advice you get.

Pictures would help the forum members help you determine what Corse parts are on the bike-- carbon wheels do not ring a bell here.

If it has a factory number stamped on the frame compare the stamping to actual factory stamps to be sure it was not stamped by and owner to get it registered on the street. i have seen many frames in Germany that have SP numbers stamped on the head stock for this reason-- they used their street bike number. This worked great for SP owners because the Corse's and the SP ran in the same number sequence. I can help you with this comparison - I have pictures of factory stamped numbers. If it checks out you then have to know its history to get a better number of it value--this is where everyone will have an opinion.

I believe that these bikes are still off the radar enough that you cannot buy the bike based upon if it will retain the value you paid for it. If you want it and are willing to pay that price you stretch your resources to do it because this bike rings all your bells- in the future it may not attract any buyers.

In this economy I would say the most valued are either a Works bike that was race by someone of stature and has all period correct Corse parts (replacement or original) on it and a motor case number. I think almost as rare is a Factory customer bike that was never raced and is like it came out of the box.

I have not seen many in these two categories sold recently -- but if members of the forum have-- then I would put this as a top price and not to pay more for less of a bike.

Down from this top ultimate tier the variations are endless- replacement case, one or two pieces missing, very bad condition, over restored, under restored,-- it just goes on and on.

In the US there were only bikes raced by Ferracci or private teams floating around for sale and a few did fall into the first category because Ferracci often bought the previous Works bikes. The prices for these top tier bikes were in the the $30K-$35K range- lesser bikes went from $20K on up. Bike restored using one of the frames (Ferracci often parted out his bike rather then sell them) ran in the $17K-$25K range. Bike built using a replacement frame but all Corse parts went from $16K-$18K. Very few have changed hands in the last few years so these are numbers from the late '90's to the mid 2000's- when the economy was still robust. Owner's of the top teir bikes have asked for over $40K or more and got no bites even in those good economic times.

These are not bad prices (lower then what I have seen bikes go for in England or Italy) if you consider most owner's would rather ride a bike on the street then own a expensive older bike that you can only put on the track and take a risk of breaking rare parts.

We can go around in circles about what someone should pay in relation to the top bikes. It get so complicated and so few complete bikes have been sold over the years I think we could not give you nothing but an opinion based upon our own desires and bank account.

Some say if it has a numbered frame it is a true Corse and that without the frame number you have a collection of expensive parts. If you pay more for the bike then the parts are worth then you are over paying and need to walk away. This stand becomes complicated when a Factory bike is crashed and a replacement frame is installed. This is why the History of the bike you are looking at will be as important as if it has every Corse part on it.

I have seen many replacement frames on Corse's that were said to be factory or customer bikes-- all the correct parts were there - even the aluminum number plate that works bike had riveted to their frame to pass from country to country. But how much do you knock off from the ultimate bike price? Is it still just a collection of parts if you could verify the history. I have only seen one bike that had the factory stamp the number on a replacement frame- the rest had a frame anyone could buy off of the factory parts list.

Further down in the food chain is the private race team. Now since the factory could only sell a limited amount of customer racing bikes --what if a private race team bike bought an frame ( I know of two well known teams that did this) without a number and built a race bike that was well known.

Then we get down to the rich private individual that built a bike as you describe.

Just a few years back even Factory Corse's did not sell so were parted. I wonder if many of these bikes will be resurrected and what their prices will be since the parts required will cost huge money.

It just gets down to the old adage-- the bike in question is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. It may be worth more or less to someone else.

Hi Greg

Some pics would help but ..............

All of the above have given there opinions and rightly so, but Mark T has really hit the nail on the head for sure, top Marks!.

Scott

Default The price he's asking is 20000euro

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

Its in need of a full service, new tyres and one fairing is cracked above the indicator. Paint is fair quality only. He offers Marchesini's if I prefer them.

It seems like his personal hobby bike. As a dealer he could get the factory race frame/engine. It has all the rare bits, carbon rearsets, airbox, spagetti system. But he still didn't tell me the frame / engine numbers on the VIN doc.

He has it in road trim. Sorry for the late reply, I thought nobody replied, nothing came to me email

G

I know that bike, the seller and where it is for sale and it's NOT a real Racing and definitely not a factory bike!
    I first saw it for sale in Assen duiring the Dutch Ducati Clubraces back in 2000.
    If I remember correctly the bike was advertised as a tricked up SP5 and was build by Affetto Ducati. The store that's selling it now has it for at least a year and a half and yes...he also told me he want's to swap the BST's for Marchesini's! Actually with your story you confirm my thoughts about the seller: the guy has a big reputation and very nice stuff for sale but can't be trusted!
    Oh..and I'm pretty sure he was never an official Ducati dealer.

It's very nice bike with very nice parts but it isn't a real one: my advice = If you are looking for a 888 racing, walk away from this one!

the same bike in the Assen paddock.
    Last edited by desmo57; 09-09-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: found picture
    La guerra continua!

+ Reply to Thread