+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: MHR 900 NCR spec bevel - sorry not 888!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Griff,
    Over here you had the choice of electric boot or kicker, you paid extra for the electric boot.
    The Fournale's are that good that you don't notice that they're on the bike, they also weigh less than conventional shocks.

I can't be arsed to go into all the differences between the SS and the S2, but the S2's didn't have a Drama frame.

Steve R
    I have a pair of these babies, an uncanny resemblance to a Mirage actuator!
    And I now know wheres there's a nitrogen machine. (just don't know how much pressure it will pump out.)

Griff
    Attached Images

They're like mine but I have the black plastic dust shroud/cover over the inner damper tube.
    After deciding on what pressure to use through trial and error, I measured the travel used using a zip tie, several years and tens of thousands of miles later they'd hardly changed, using common as muck air and a stirup pump with a non leak valve supplied on loan from the importers to set them up.

I could look up the pressure I used if you like mate, would the air pressure I used be any good for Nitrogen?

Steve R

I've read it will be between 150 and 300 psi. Nitrogen pressure would be pretty much the same. If you wouldn't mind looking it up that would be rather handy.
    I've contacted Fournale to see if spare parts are available as I don't have the plastic shrouds and one has some minor scratching on shinny bit and may need a new seal kit and a bit of a buff.

The good news is they have the same length 330mm as the Ohlins on the 851. I wonder.......

Griff

Hi Griff,
    My Fournales are 340mm eye to eye, when supplied they came with 9 bar in them, this was the manufacturers setting for mixed riding solo/2 up.
    The max travel is 75mm.
    9 bar gave 22mm or sag with me sat on the bike and 52mm of travel in use.
    8 bar " 35mm -------------------------------- 65+mm --------------

After trying everything between 7 and 10 bar I settled on 8 bar.

The Fournales/stirrup pump that the importers loaned me had a special connector, that didn't let any air escape when it was removed from the shocks.

It's recommended that the oil is changed in them at 80,000 miles and that the shrader valve is mounted at the top.
    They claim that the seals can withstand 20 X's the normal running pressures.

I saw these used on the NCR bikes in a French Endurance race back in the 80's.
    Michelin used these shocks when testing motorcycle tyres back then, I've been using them since '95 without any problems.
    I'm not suprised that they look similar to some that you've seen on aircraft, Fournales supplied the shocks for the Concorde.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 07-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Hi Steve thanks for that. I should be able to get 120psi out of the nitrogen machine, but if not the Harly guys use cheap high pressure push bike pumps that have the same set up as the original. I've been in contact with Fournale. They have no spares available for this style as it was made too long ago. Things like seals really are not a problem as you can get most things these days.

Griff

Default Fournale fun

Took the shocks to the fork leg hard chrome place today. $80+ ea re-chrome.
    At this point I want to know why workshop guys say things like that. + is the GST/Vat/stinking pay because your buying mate. Like I really need to be reminded all the time. Why can't it just be $88. In department stores its just $88. In the bike shop its just $88. Down the pie shop its $88. Odd!

Back to the shock, gripe against humanity over. So its adventure time I'm going for a new longer rams, they are just a tube with an inside thread at one end, and an outside thread at the other. I'll have to give up the dream of fitting one to 851 for the hell of it.
    So, Steve if I need to get seals made in the worst case scenario, are you up for a set?

Griff

Thanks for the thought Griff but there's no sign of any leakage on mine yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by 851corsa View Post
    I wonder, does he have anything from 1991?

-----

Peter,

Great potential there, Get busy with with it, Life is short! I wish I spent the last 6 years thrashing my bike rather than thinking 'one day'.

Terry
    Hi Terry
    He may have!
    That would be around the time of the 851 paul lewis raced or could of been
    Mark Forsyth ?

Steve K

I think Alan Cathcart raced the Baines Mille ?

+ Reply to Thread