+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MHR 900 NCR spec bevel - sorry not 888!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    So how do you know it's a Mille "Smarty Pants"??
    The 1st models with that shape/type of LH engine case were 900's, still with a needle roller bigend, looking at the cam support blocks it looks like one of those to me, the frame looks like a chopped about standard one to me,
    NCR never used bolt on bracing or the 2nd longer brace, but as you say I know sod all.
    I agree with the rest of your post though.
    On another note the S2's came with either an electric boot or a kickstart and were a very watered done version of the real thing, better than a Drama but not as good as an SS.

Peter,
    They don't have to be a plank to ride, I've got Maxton modified forks and Fournale shocks and it's quite supple

Steve R
    Hi Steve, not having an anorack in the wardrobe I was forced to scour the net and look at a zillion versions. My conclusion is that the early mille had standard cam caps up to 85, but you could be right on it being a 900 with a mille style clutch cover although I could see no pics of this. In 85 they went to the rounded off exhaust attachment mounting point, so it has to be pre 85.
    The S2 and Hailwoods for 83-86 shared the same frame. In 84 the 1000 was introduced. pre 83 they were based on the ss frame. The big problem is the box of bits build method leads to a couple of versions made in the same year.
    As for the NCR bit you could be right there. It just looks like the triangle section is larger than a standard like an NCR and the tubeing seems smaller, but it does have gussets, but they don't seem to be welded in in the usual way. Hell it could be a home made job I guess. That would account for the extra brace

The S2 is such a box of bits thing that I'm afraid Steve I've seen them with and without and both kick starters and electric. To give you some idea of what an abortion the whole show is http://www.bevelheaven.com/data-squarecase.htm I have early 82 SS cases and heads and it came with electric start only in an 83 S2 frame. Yet in 85 in Ron Angle they had electric and kick start models for sale, with the earlier frame. I think also the manufacture year beginning in August throws yet another spanner in the works for identification, as the 83 model was actually available in late 82.
    Fallon has tried to work it all out, but has had to change his mind a couple of times.

As for the S2 being watered down, what because it was a wee bit heavier, because it has a Damah based frame to accommodate the bigger battery, the stupid seat and had a superior stronger 3 dog box? It was pig dog ugly that's for sure compared to the SS, that's about it. The motor specs are the same as the late SS. 40mm Dellorto and Conti's were standard fit on the early ones. The later Sileniums choked it a bit.
    The "plank" reference is to the long wheel base. If you hop off an 851 and onto an SS/S2 I reckon nimble being replace with plank is a fair comment.

Griff
    PS I have a set of gas forenales, sitting in my parts box. Were they any better than the gray remote Marrzoci's? I can access a set of them from my project.

Griff,
    Over here you had the choice of electric boot or kicker, you paid extra for the electric boot.
    The Fournale's are that good that you don't notice that they're on the bike, they also weigh less than conventional shocks.

I can't be arsed to go into all the differences between the SS and the S2, but the S2's didn't have a Drama frame.

Steve R

With regards to the frame on my project it is not NCR or standard, this is what I know at the moment;

The frame is standard looking SS frame and bracing built in 1985/86 by Alan Quartermaine, with a T45 'lightweight works' copy swingarm made by Fab Tech with taper roller bearings.

I would appreciate being further enlightened by others regarding any aspects of this bike, especially the frame builder.

Peter,
    Why don't you just phone Geoff Baines and ask him the questions?
    I find it often works if you go straight to the "Horses Mouth"...

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    Peter,
    Why don't you just phone Geoff Baines and ask him the questions?
    I find it often works if you go straight to the "Horses Mouth"...

Steve R
    Steve I will do, I was just seeing if somebody else knew some tales.

Peter,
    I popped over to see my Dad with the kids this morning and he's still got the old BOTT programmes somewhere in his loft.
    But He did mention the baines brothers had problems getting the mille to be
    competive at the time.
    But other tuners in europe/usa/Aus did and had success

Quote Originally Posted by Imola View Post
    Peter,
    I popped over to see my Dad with the kids this morning and he's still got the old BOTT programmes somewhere in his loft.
    But He did mention the baines brothers had problems getting the mille to be
    competive at the time.
    But other tuners in europe/usa/Aus did and had success
    Thanks Steve, I don't think that I would have been told that by Geoff!

I did see an old motorcycle article saying that the 'Mille' was their new bike and they had previously had good reliability having finished all 12 of the races that they had started since the previous season. The article refferred to Geof as 'Last years Mr Reliable, Geoff 'Toy-Boy' Baines, paddock heart-throb and bevel-Duke afficionado...'

The Baines Mille 1000+cc motor suffered from fuel starvation at the topend*,
    I can't remember the exact capacity but it was well over 1000cc.
    I tried to buy this motor from them some years ago, but they wanted far too much for it.

When I 1st met the boys I was enquiring about some Syd Tunstall parts, as they were dealing in Syd's kit in the UK,
    they didn't know that the parts I wanted existed, I knew more about them than they did...
    They showed me the parts they had for Bevel twins, then I took them outside (of their shop/workshop) and showed them the parts I had in the boot of my Mr's car, I had better kit than them and they wanted to know where I'd got it?

*This could have been easlily sorted IMO.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 07-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.

This race mille won the bott series in the states a few times (I believe)

http://loudbike.blogs.com/loud_bike/...-the-dead.html
    Last edited by Imola; 07-02-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imola View Post
    ..........still got the old BOTT programmes somewhere in his loft...............
    I wonder, does he have anything from 1991?

-----

Peter,

Great potential there, Get busy with with it, Life is short! I wish I spent the last 6 years thrashing my bike rather than thinking 'one day'.

Terry
    Last edited by 851corsa; 07-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread