+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MHR 900 NCR spec bevel - sorry not 888!

Boy, you wait for the questions about this project when I get started on it...though it will probably not be for a few months!

I'm expensive. Tech info goes for about Oh how much is a dry clutch....
    Have your heads got hardened exh valve seats and modern valve guides? Might as well before you slap it all together.

Griff

To be honest I don't know, the engine is at the builders getting finished...but I shall enquire when i speak to him next.

When I bought the project included was the offer to finish the build of the engine, which I took as I thought that it would be better than me just getting a bit over my head on this one as it is none standard.

The engine spec includes the following;
    complete 'V2' crank
    'V2' clutch, primart gears and L/hand case
    'V2' selector drum
    'V2' breather tower
    'V2' sump strainer
    as well as some 'V2' gearbox parts and other modifications.

I really don't know alot about these bikes but I have been lead to believe that it should give me an interesting track tool!

Off Brook, good well he's back in business doing bevels again, so any complaints can be addressed should they occur. Not much to know really. don't go above 8k rpm and all should be fine. Check valve clearances at 10,000 km and pull heads off at 20k. Mine is referred to as either the dinosuar or the plank for reasons that will become obvious as soon as you get on it and go. Be prepared for a work out.

Griff

the last valve spring motor was the 900gts. all motors after that were desmo.
    Brad The Bike Boy

www.bikeboy.org

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Mine is referred to as either the dinosuar or the plank for reasons that will become obvious as soon as you get on it and go. Be prepared for a work out.

Griff
    I rode a BMW K100rt and K75rt in the three years that I did courier work around London, I know what riding something that is heavy and wallowing is like...can't wait to have a go on that 'plank' of mine though.

I think I had best get myself something cheap to do some track days on as I have never been on a track, I think I best start slow. Perhaps my Kawasaki gt550 would be a good start, lovely shaft driven bike...good for abusing and doing courier work on. It would be fun doing a track day on that to start with, especially adorned in full one piece 'Biaggi' Dainese leathers!

+

=

Quote Originally Posted by griff851 View Post
    Looks like an 82- 83 S2 or Hailwood rep frame, with a Millie eng. wrong wheels, and four pot front brake calipers, and had a swing arm change for wider rear wheel. Definitely a bitza. Bit much of an Frankenstein for my liking. But the base parts are there to build a good original bike, and at that price, a good starting point.

Griff

PS Steve knows sod all about these as he is stuck in prehistoric 4 bolt disc world. Anything bevel with 6 bolts discs is not a real bike in his world.
    So how do you know it's a Mille "Smarty Pants"??
    The 1st models with that shape/type of LH engine case were 900's, still with a needle roller bigend, looking at the cam support blocks it looks like one of those to me, the frame looks like a chopped about standard one to me,
    NCR never used bolt on bracing or the 2nd longer brace, but as you say I know sod all.
    I agree with the rest of your post though.
    On another note the S2's came with either an electric boot or a kickstart and were a very watered done version of the real thing, better than a Drama but not as good as an SS.

Peter,
    They don't have to be a plank to ride, I've got Maxton modified forks and Fournale shocks and it's quite supple

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 06-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
    So how do you know it's a Mille "Smarty Pants"??
    The 1st models with that shape/type of LH engine case were 900's, still with a needle roller bigend, looking at the cam support blocks it looks like one of those to me, the frame looks like a chopped about standard one to me,
    NCR never used bolt on bracing or the 2nd longer brace, but as you say I know sod all.
    I agree with the rest of your post though.
    On another note the S2's came with either an electric boot or a kickstart and were a very watered done version of the real thing, better than a Drama but not as good as an SS.

Peter,
    They don't have to be a plank to ride, I've got Maxton modified forks and Fournale shocks and it's quite supple

Steve R
    Steve, most of the bike has raced in previous incarnations though I believe it never managed to race in the form that I bought it, I dare say that it will handle much better than my ability...I know that the forks were reworked and the rears are Ohlins, almost nothing can be as bad as a BMW K100rt with a wallowing rear shock!

My project is a true bitsa, an amalgamation of parts from all over the place, Having checked the engine case numbers it started life as a 750gt, but virtually nothing is standard. I doubt the heads or barrels were even the original ones that came with the cases...it has had much work and money spent on it by the previous owner.
    Last edited by sp2 boy; 06-30-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by sp2 boy View Post
    This one used to race with a 'Mille' engine, in its previous form, but has now got a 750 desmo 'roundcase' destined for it, when I get a chance to slot it all together.
    Hi Peter,
    Who race it when it was fitted with the mille engine ? was it raced in the BOTT uk series.
    Why i ask is my Dad owns a MHR mille and we used to watch all the bott rounds and a few raced mille dukes.
    I even remember Glyn Robinsons jawa headed 900 bevel engine

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Imola View Post
    Hi Peter,
    Who race it when it was fitted with the mille engine ? was it raced in the BOTT uk series.
    Why i ask is my Dad owns a MHR mille and we used to watch all the bott rounds and a few raced mille dukes.
    I even remember Glyn Robinsons jawa headed 900 bevel engine

Steve K
    Steve, it was campaigned by Geoff Baines during the 1989 season I believe, but I am unsure of how successful the bike was in that form. I would be interested to know if somebody could furnish me with any info, thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread